Who cuts the best 6.5 barrel for overbore cartridges and heavy bullets?

Floundertrap

I've just come into a bunch of 6.5x284 ammo and brass. I shoot f-open and I'm fond of Bartlein, Krieger and Brux SS match barrels. I'm thinking of building a 6.5.x284 long range hunting rig on a pre-64 model 70 (I have one that was "customed" into a 308 Norma back in '61 and frankly, it don't shoot). Per that parenthetical info, please don't lecture me on bastardizing a hallowed pre-64. Anyway, I'm looking to get a fast-twist chrome moly barrel so I can reblue the finished product. I'm interested in actual experience with this specific round and barrel material. Please share your wins/losses on the matter.

Thanks,
TK

This was shot today after a 36 shot break-in with one fouling round. A Criterion barrel 22" SS #4 in 260 rem shooting this off-the-shelf ammo https://coppercreekcartridgeco.com/product/260-remington-130gr-nosler-golden-target-nosler-brass/ with a gemtech tracker 30 suppressor.

Not chrome moly, but they have chrome moly barrels, so this post doesn't fully answer your question but might give you another path to follow.

260 3.jpg260 2.jpg

Last edited:
Whats an 'overbore bullet'?
I've heard the term used numerous times to describe large case/ small bullet and usually heavy-for-caliber projectiles, like the 170gr .277 bullet in a 270wsm, or a 156gr .264 in 26 nosler, or in my case, 6.5x284. I adopted it as such.

I've heard the term used numerous times to describe large case/ small bullet and usually heavy-for-caliber projectiles, like the 170gr .277 bullet in a 270wsm, or a 156gr .264 in 26 nosler, or in my case, 6.5x284. I adopted it as such.
For what it is worth (extracted from source noted below) ...

In the simplest terms, a very big case pushing a relatively small diameter bullet is acknowledged as the classic overbore design. But it's not just large powder capacity that creates an overbore situation — it is the relationship between powder capacity and barrel bore diameter. Looking at those two factors, we can express the 'Overbore Index' as a mathematical formula — the case capacity in grains of water divided by the area (in square inches) of the bore cross-section.

Overbore chart.jpg

(SOURCE: https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/overbore-cartridges-defined-by-formula/)

To answer, the op's question,.. SOME of, the BEST Barrels, are made, in Wisconsin,.. Brux, Kreiger and Bartlien !
AS for, the "Over Bore chit",. they'll build / cut, pretty much, whatever Caliber / Twist bbl., you, want !
Your Gunsmith and you,.. can pick, the "overbore",.. Cartridge.

My best group was just under an inch at 600 yds with a 6.5-284 from Kreiger.
It don't get much better...
Should mention, it was stainless, not CM... But I had a Model 70 done up in same caliber, Medium Palma, and had the stainless barrel bead blasted for real matte finish, and it looks good.

Last edited: