Who cuts the best 6.5 barrel for overbore cartridges and heavy bullets?

I've just come into a bunch of 6.5x284 ammo and brass. I shoot f-open and I'm fond of Bartlein, Krieger and Brux SS match barrels. I'm thinking of building a 6.5.x284 long range hunting rig on a pre-64 model 70 (I have one that was "customed" into a 308 Norma back in '61 and frankly, it don't shoot). Per that parenthetical info, please don't lecture me on bastardizing a hallowed pre-64. Anyway, I'm looking to get a fast-twist chrome moly barrel so I can reblue the finished product. I'm interested in actual experience with this specific round and barrel material. Please share your wins/losses on the matter.

Thanks,
TK
The 6.5 x 284 is a great round that's often overlooked these days in favor of the newer 6.5mm cartridges. I have been shooting a Sendaro 'style' rifle with a 28" Bartlein. Mine is S.S., but you asked about CM, so I can't help ya' there. I have a 6.5mm 1-8 Krieger in CM that I will be using for a 'hunting rifle' in the near future. It's a #3 contour. I think one of the major advantages SS has over CM is corrosion resistance, although SS can and will corrode if left neglected. CM begins to rust immediately. I think you are going to run into a problem though, with your Pre 64. The .308 Norma is the 7mm Rem Mag necked up to .308, or the .338 Win Mag necked down. The problem here is the bolt face. The 6.5 x 284 uses a 'standard', .473" diameter/.30-06 bolt face and the .308 Norma uses the "magnum" .532" bolt face. So, unless you have another bolt or can get one for that Pre 64......CM will hold up fine in a 'hunting rifle' with the few shots fired per year like most 'hunting rifles' receive, as long as it is properly cleaned/lubed when stored.

Whats an 'overbore bullet'?
The overbore refers to the chamber bore/rifle bore relationship. It is all about approach to the definition and It seams to me it is stated backwards, but one does not know the thought process of the one, many years ago, when coming up with the word. It is the standard way of stating the following information. I will discuss many things that lead up to the overbore rifle
In cartridge development, the manufactures have very sophisticated equipment now a days and can really get a better handle on what is actually happening. Dave Emery of Hornady stated that that the recoil from the acceleration of the bullet only represents 1/5 of the total recoil and the propulsion of the hot gases occurring, like a rocket, are still coming out of the barrel 4/5 of the time after the bullet leaves the barrel. Also there have been statements, various articles, that magnum cartridges use 20% more powder to gain 8% more velocity which is a general statement but not necessarily exact for any specific situation.
Now to get to the over bore statement, it refers to bottle neck cartridges that are in the Magnum range relative to non-magnum cartridges. The cartridge body is much bigger than the rifle bore(bullet diameter) and longer that represents much more powder relative to a non-magnum cartridge.
I am going to regress back to general geometry and air flow to show an extreme example to prove the point. Let us take a non-standard air tank and fill it up to the 55,000 PSI. The Air tank will be 12 inches in diameter and it will have a 1/16(.0625) diameter valve. Open the valve all the way and one could use a hand held stop watch to see how long it takes to discharge to atmospheric pressure. Now let us take the same tank, but put the a 12 inch diameter valve that will open the tank to the full inside diameter. The air will discharge quicker than one could use a hand held stop watch.
Now let us bring all the information together relating to an over bored cartridge. It takes a certain amount of time for all the expanding hot gases to discharge after the bullet leaves the barrel. The smaller the rifle barrel is to the cartridge diameter and the more the powder that represents the volume of hot gases the longer it takes to discharge the pressure down to atmospheric pressure. The hot gasses are as high as 3200 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature spike is a very short time but it is substantially more, for a magnum cartridge, than a standard cartridge. The 3200 degrees is exposed to the barrel longer due to the time it takes for the hot gases to deplete to atmospheric pressure. The extend time of the heat will erode a magnum overbore barrel quicker than a standard non-magnum cartridge.
If one were to take the same cartridge and change the bullet to a larger diameter(re-barrel the firearm) to a straight wall cartridge, then the resistance to hot gas flow would be less so the hot gases would deplete down to atmospheric pressure quicker due to the larger bore. Then the barrel would not be exposed to the hot gases as long, thus the barrel would not erode as quick using the same amount of powder.
These are general statements that are generally true.
When living in the world of science and physics, many times when we gain one thing(velocity of a bullet) we lose something else(the barrel life). So we have to decide what is most important and take our best shot at determining the tools we use.

Best Regards

I like Lilja and McGowan for my 6.5-284. They have been easy to tune with the 156 Bergers and RL26. I have a SS Lilja along with a Chrome Moly Lilja and a Chrome Moly McGowan. The CM barrels have held up well, no complaints, and shoot well. Plus both companies are from my home state so that's a bonus.

I would like to thank my fellow LRH members who addressed my question, I appreciate that.

For those who got hung-up on my use of the term "overbore" and decided to take my post in a completely useless direction over semantics, or just due to childish boredom, this is why people don't like you. You are the reason people new to or growing in this sport hate to ask questions on this site.

I like Lilja and McGowan for my 6.5-284. They have been easy to tune with the 156 Bergers and RL26. I have a SS Lilja along with a Chrome Moly Lilja and a Chrome Moly McGowan. The CM barrels have held up well, no complaints, and shoot well. Plus both companies are from my home state so that's a bonus.
Good stuff, brotherbear! Thank you.

The overbore refers to the chamber bore/rifle bore relationship. It is all about approach to the definition and It seams to me it is stated backwards, but one does not know the thought process of the one, many years ago, when coming up with the word. It is the standard way of stating the following information. I will discuss many things that lead up to the overbore rifle
In cartridge development, the manufactures have very sophisticated equipment now a days and can really get a better handle on what is actually happening. Dave Emery of Hornady stated that that the recoil from the acceleration of the bullet only represents 1/5 of the total recoil and the propulsion of the hot gases occurring, like a rocket, are still coming out of the barrel 4/5 of the time after the bullet leaves the barrel. Also there have been statements, various articles, that magnum cartridges use 20% more powder to gain 8% more velocity which is a general statement but not necessarily exact for any specific situation.
Now to get to the over bore statement, it refers to bottle neck cartridges that are in the Magnum range relative to non-magnum cartridges. The cartridge body is much bigger than the rifle bore(bullet diameter) and longer that represents much more powder relative to a non-magnum cartridge.
I am going to regress back to general geometry and air flow to show an extreme example to prove the point. Let us take a non-standard air tank and fill it up to the 55,000 PSI. The Air tank will be 12 inches in diameter and it will have a 1/16(.0625) diameter valve. Open the valve all the way and one could use a hand held stop watch to see how long it takes to discharge to atmospheric pressure. Now let us take the same tank, but put the a 12 inch diameter valve that will open the tank to the full inside diameter. The air will discharge quicker than one could use a hand held stop watch.
Now let us bring all the information together relating to an over bored cartridge. It takes a certain amount of time for all the expanding hot gases to discharge after the bullet leaves the barrel. The smaller the rifle barrel is to the cartridge diameter and the more the powder that represents the volume of hot gases the longer it takes to discharge the pressure down to atmospheric pressure. The hot gasses are as high as 3200 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature spike is a very short time but it is substantially more, for a magnum cartridge, than a standard cartridge. The 3200 degrees is exposed to the barrel longer due to the time it takes for the hot gases to deplete to atmospheric pressure. The extend time of the heat will erode a magnum overbore barrel quicker than a standard non-magnum cartridge.
If one were to take the same cartridge and change the bullet to a larger diameter(re-barrel the firearm) to a straight wall cartridge, then the resistance to hot gas flow would be less so the hot gases would deplete down to atmospheric pressure quicker due to the larger bore. Then the barrel would not be exposed to the hot gases as long, thus the barrel would not erode as quick using the same amount of powder.
These are general statements that are generally true.
When living in the world of science and physics, many times when we gain one thing(velocity of a bullet) we lose something else(the barrel life). So we have to decide what is most important and take our best shot at determining the tools we use.

Best Regards
I assure you @Mikecr, knows what an overbore is.

Last edited:
Overbore doesn't exist.
When this term was coined in some gun rag of the 50's, very slow burning powders were not available, hence the overbore situation arose and was quite true.
Nowadays, with powder like RE33, RE25, Retumbo and H1000, there are very few cartridges now where adding more powder of a slower burn does not increase velocity, which is essentially the epitome of said overbore.
As to the 6.5-284, I have a barrel blank here that has been profiled and rough chambered for this cartridge but have never done anything with it. It is at an unfinished length of 32" and was made by Bartlein, had it so long now I don't recall all the specs, other than it's a 7.5" twist and this was the reason I didn't use it.

I see less and less 6.5-284's on the firing line these days, people are going to smaller cases.

Cheers.

Overbore doesn't exist.
When this term was coined in some gun rag of the 50's, very slow burning powders were not available, hence the overbore situation arose and was quite true.
Nowadays, with powder like RE33, RE25, Retumbo and H1000, there are very few cartridges now where adding more powder of a slower burn does not increase velocity, which is essentially the epitome of said overbore.
As to the 6.5-284, I have a barrel blank here that has been profiled and rough chambered for this cartridge but have never done anything with it. It is at an unfinished length of 32" and was made by Bartlein, had it so long now I don't recall all the specs, other than it's a 7.5" twist and this was the reason I didn't use it.

I see less and less 6.5-284's on the firing line these days, people are going to smaller cases.

Cheers.
Are you trying to sell the barrel or just pile on about the term "overbore"...

"Overbore" is just someones idea of a measurement standard involving cartridge case capacity vs bore/bullet diameter, some tend to move the goalposts back even further .. then get on a soapbox and pretend to make sense....

My goalposts are moved far forward and the ancient "overbore" standards do not apply, I just accept the fact that the appropriate propellants haven't been created yet...

Although we have come a long way with powders since the idea of an "overbore" condition was first concocted, making it an outdated idea that needs to be forgotten and buried in the past, it does nothing to stimulate and push for advancements and refinements in the metallic cartridge industry and everything that surrounds it

Bartlien 5R.
Last year I rebarreled and had the Barrell contour copied the same as the existing barrel which was a 300 win mag too a 6.5 prc which has the same bolt face and feed rails for the mag cartridge pre 1964 mod 70 custom stocked that way the barrel worked for the barrel channel inlet Bartlein did all the work it's a stainless 5 r 7.5 twist cut too 25 in cut rifle really acc the 6.5- 284 will not work with your bolt face and the feed rails might be opened too much for the 284 case that being said I also have 6.5 284 s the 6.5 prc is alot better there both great but you need too do 6.5 prc in your pre 64 mod 70 or 264 win mag for a easy rebarrel throating on mine is . 145 instead of . 180 hope that helps

Recent Posts