Who makes the best carbon fibre barrel ?

What Ranger1183 did not say is that HE bought ABS barrels and HE is PROOF Research. The link I provided has some really solid information on ABS / Proof barrels tech. If i buy a carbon barrel, it will be a Proof.

Happy Shooting,
Gary

Sorry Gary, but I'm just the CAD Drafter / "Gopher" (go for this and go for that) at Proof Research. As much as I'd like to be higher in the food chain, I am actually at the very bottom. Thanks for the compliment, though.

The link you provided is an excellent look at Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel technology. Good reading.

One important update is that the company known as ABS has gone by the wayside.

Proof Research now owns the patent that ABS leased from Mike Degerness. This is a game changer when it comes to getting barrels to customers in a timely manner.

Good Shooting!

Proof Research makes the finest, most accurate carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

proofresearch.com

We use Rock and Satern barrel blanks pre-contoured to our specs. These barrels get wrapped and shipped as fast as we get them in and a "typical" turn-around time from original order to shipment to customer is averaging about 1 month or so.

No more BS, song and dance, or drama. You place an order and we make it happen. It's as simple as that.

Call Proof Research at 406-756-9290 for questions or ordering.

*Camp Perry is in full swing so right now we can't get any barrel blanks. When things settle down after Perry, we should be back to normal very quickly!
That time frame of a month seems unrealistic, most barrels, stocks and actions that are looked for on this site are min. 6-8 weeks out, sam e stuff you use. My rifle, produce by same people. Paid 5/3/2010 received 3/4/11. The barrel blank was in stock, my time frame was not as stated. As far as the product goes I rate it a A+, I have shot 1'' @ 400 and 6''@ 1003

That time frame of a month seems unrealistic, most barrels, stocks and actions that are looked for on this site are min. 6-8 weeks out, sam e stuff you use. My rifle, produce by same people. Paid 5/3/2010 received 3/4/11. The barrel blank was in stock, my time frame was not as stated. As far as the product goes I rate it a A+, I have shot 1'' @ 400 and 6''@ 1003
Our current hold up now is getting barrel blanks. Not wrapping those blanks and getting them out the door.

A gentleman recently ordered a .270 caliber barrel that we did not have in stock. I found a suitable barrel from an extremely reputable barrel maker and had it delivered, wrapped and out the door in under 1 month.

So seriously, the biggest hold up Proof Research faces is the scarcity of barrels that meet our specs. Other than that, we have no problems in getting barrels to our customers.

Last edited:
Ranger 1183,since ABS has fallen by the wayside, is Proof Research honoring commitments made by ABS - Mike Degerness on bbls that are still owed but never received ??? Or am I just out two 338 bbls and one 6.5 bbl that were promised over and over for the last five years ??

I suspect there are enough stories out there like this one that your company should be a little bit scared !!! ---- RHB

Ranger 1183,since ABS has fallen by the wayside, is Proof Research honoring commitments made by ABS - Mike Degerness on bbls that are still owed but never received ??? Or am I just out two 338 bbls and one 6.5 bbl that were promised over and over for the last five years ??

I suspect there are enough stories out there like this one that your company should be a little bit scared !!! ---- RHB

RHB,
Send me all the details you can. I will look into this immediately. Sorry this has happened to you. My email contact information is listed in my profile.

Ranger, I missundersttod your quote as pertaining to barrels only, which is more understandable, and was thinking along lines of complete custom. I expect this new venture in the valley to do well, very fine products

Will the contour specifics be available for people that wish to purchase their chose of blanks and have them shipped to proof for wrapping?

Will the contour specifics be available for people that wish to purchase their chose of blanks and have them shipped to proof for wrapping?

No. The contour spec's are not widely shared. Also, all the barrels we use are individually tested to meet our specs. This allows us to pick exactly which barrels we use. Buttoned rifled barrels do not give us the exacting standards we demand once they have been contoured, wrapped and then ground to the exact profile we use.

My thanks, to Proof Research, K.K. and Scott for honoring commitments made to me by A.B.S. in the past. Looks like Proof Research is on the right business path. Great products and customer service!! ------- RHB

My thanks, to Proof Research, K.K. and Scott for honoring commitments made to me by A.B.S. in the past. Looks like Proof Research is on the right business path. Great products and customer service!! ------- RHB

7mmRHB are you really going to finally get those barrels?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.