Who makes the best action?

The last chart I saw on brands being used for competition, surgeon is being used about 5 to 1.

Best-Rifle-Action.png

This chart is from 2017 and I know they haven't gained anything in 2018 and probably lost some ground as they have been for the last few years since they were bought out.

They are also not the only makers to use the integral rail either. It has become a staple in the tactical-type matches and even the F-class matches and many more competitions, I'm sure.

I take nothing away from the actions themselves, I've used and will continue to use Surgeon actions for builds.

Regards.

I have a stock ss tikka 3 in .223 with a leupold 4x12 AO and it shoots speer 63 gr factory ammo and factory Hornady 55 gr into less than .5" three shot groups at 100 yards from the bench. and 90 precent of the shooters out there, including myself don,t need much better then that for 300 yard varmites.

I agree with comments about the firing system being one of the major attributes to look for in a custom action. I am quite partial to my Surgeon 591 action used on my PRS competition rifle. The superb firing system, when combined with my 22 oz Jewell trigger is absolutely seamless. I also like the dust/dirt resistant clearances that do not trade off smoothness, or produce sloppiness when operating the bolt. While fine for Benchrest work, I have found this to be an issue with some of the close tolerance custom actions when used in competition or hunting environments that can accumulate dust, dirt or ice. My Surgeon/24" Kreiger Medium Palma, set-up delivers very consistent sub .25 MOA performance.

I never said that an action could be dumbed down and it would be fine.

A good action is one with good machining and features that improve performance for a certain type of shooting. different uses, dictate design needs. I choose the brand/type of action for it benefits with the use intended. The benefits of picking the right action can make a huge difference in its performance. A cheaply made action is just that, a cheep action.

Any well made action can be made to shoot accurately. Some can be easier to achieve accuracy than others because of there design features, but ultimately when the breach is closed on the cartridge the action is no longer in play if it was machined correctly and trued to the bore center-line. A breach plug can perform the same function. The features on some actions are more user friendly and make them desirable to some depending there use.

I like many of the features on different actions. because of my intended use, but others may not like the same features that I do. It doesn't mean my likes are better, just different.

I think that you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. The original poster ask if one action was better than another and my reply was no if the machining was perfect and it was assembled correctly. only the features that are appealing to him.

I'm Not advocating buying only custom actions, just like i am not pushing Factory actions. They all have their strong points and weak points. most of the custom actions have made an effort to include many of the desirable features that most people like. Different bolt release doesn't effect the accuracy just the function. the built in recoil lug can, if the replaceable lug is not precision installed.

Right now, if I were going to pick a action with all the features that I like it would be the Curtis Custom. I know others will like something else because of their features.

So in my opinion, There is no golden bullet just like there is no golden action.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Interesting top pick. Out of curiosity what do you check on actions to consider them up to snuff for your builds? Do you check every one or trust in the manufacturers QC? There have been a lot of new actions on the market in the last few years. Some of them have gotten very popular, almost hard to keep up with them all.

Just got my CORE Solutions build. Lone Peak TI. My first Lone Peak and its awesome. I have also owned, Borden, Defiance and Stiller. I cant say anything bad about any of them. All were slick as glass.
Just curious- is that an Osprey mounted on top ?

Yes it is, he spots game for me cuz I'm too old to see it myself LOL.

Swarovski Z-6, 5-30X56. A little "over kill." my friends, both of them, call it "The Hubble" GREAT optic though

Interesting top pick. Out of curiosity what do you check on actions to consider them up to snuff for your builds? Do you check every one or trust in the manufacturers QC? There have been a lot of new actions on the market in the last few years. Some of them have gotten very popular, almost hard to keep up with them all.

Being very picky, even Anal about all Parts that are machined these days, I check everything. Interestingly enough, I do find things that are not square and true on most actions. Some are very good and others are not. it is easy to check before I start a build to assure that everything is as good as I can make it.

Experience has taught me to assume nothing and I have been surprised good and bad many times. Most things on actions can be fixed if caught, barrels are a different story and when I find one that Is not correct, It is sent back for replacement.

There are a lot of actions that I haven't worked on that have a good reputation, But I would sill take the time to check it if it were included in one of my builds.

So a favorite action for me would be hard to name and would probably be one of several different Factory actions and one or two custom actions because of features and looks. A well thought out
design can help eliminate some machine problems and can only help in the accuracy and function.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I love my my impact 737r it is so smooth I have a friend that runs defiance action and could not believe that the impact was brand new because of how slick it is

Interestingly, Pierce wire EDM's 700 Clone actions for many popular builders, some of which are praised on here all the time. Not in my best interests to divulge what I know. Suffice to say that if you buy a 700 clone build, chances are Pierce made the action.

Why I went with them twice now, besides, they are basically local for me.

Interestingly, Pierce wire EDM's 700 Clone actions for many popular builders, some of which are praised on here all the time. Not in my best interests to divulge what I know. Suffice to say that if you buy a 700 clone build, chances are Pierce made the action.

Why I went with them twice now, besides, they are basically local for me.

I would disagree. Stiller makes more action bodies than anyone last I knew. Also a lot of top notch builders use rebranded defiance actions or standard labeled defiance actions.

I would disagree. Stiller makes more action bodies than anyone last I knew. Also a lot of top notch builders use rebranded defiance actions or standard labeled defiance actions.

Sure about that? Been to their facility and saw first hand they do or is that something you were told by them? I'm not saying Pierce makes them because I don't know who all they EDM them for but I have seen actions in their shop with various brand names on them. Kind of like the automotive business where manufacturers (in this case) rifle builders outsource components because the cost of the machinery (in this case CNC wire EDM machines) are prohibitively expensive. Good example again are barrels. You have specific barrel makers that everyone uses mainly because barrel making machinery and tooling is prohibitively expensive.

While I know some of who they EDM actions for because I've seen them there, not in my best interest to say who and really none of my business to say either.

I'll just leave it at the actions I saw on the table being prepped for shipment didn't have 'Pierce Precision' engraved on the side.

To assume a builder produces the entire stick in house from components manufactured in house is a fantasy. Don't work that way in a manufacturing setting because it's not profitable.

To assume a builder produces the entire stick in house from components manufactured in house is a fantasy. Don't work that way in a manufacturing setting because it's not profitable.

None of us 'assume' this as it's ridiculous to think that we all make our own actions inhouse. I've made both actions and barrels in shops set up specifically for those products and I can assure you that I don't have the money or desire to make either of those products in my shops. The manufacturers who specialize in those products can make money by being niche oriented.

While I know some of who they EDM actions for because I've seen them there, not in my best interest to say who and really none of my business to say either.

I'll just leave it at the actions I saw on the table being prepped for shipment didn't have 'Pierce Precision' engraved on the side.

Most action makers offer 'Private Labeling' for shops that want their name on a product. There are other shops which will design and build an action to your specifications, i.e. GAP Tempest. The Mack Bros. helped design it and manufacturer it for GAP. Then too, Defiance private labels their Rebel and Deviant as the Templar and Templar VII for GAP. Other riflesmiths have Stiller label for them and so on to include any of the makers who will private label.

The process is not just laser engraving your logo and name on the action. The ATF gets involved and must approve of the labeling (size, shape and placement) and the production numbers (serial) so they can track those numbers through their software. :rolleyes:The riflesmiths pay for this privilege, usually about $1,500 unless the volume of their order offsets that fee, then it gets waived. :)

Besides, it's fairly easy to see who is private labeling for which gunsmiths, the actions are a giveaway. The gunsmiths I know and work with do not try to keep it a secret but they don't broadcast it either although some do.;)

Enjoy your Sunday!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.