Who makes the best Contender barrels?

dwhunts

I want to get a G2 Contender, and I want a 6.5 Grendel barrel for it. There are so many people who do contender barrels, I would like the advise of someone who has been down this road before. Thank you in advance for your input.

I want to get a G2 Contender, and I want a 6.5 Grendel barrel for it. There are so many people who do contender barrels, I would like the advise of someone who has been down this road before. Thank you in advance for your input.

I like the Bullberry barrels built off Wilson blanks. They offer a lot of options, and there's nothing wrong with a Wilson blank
gary

I have shot a few very accurate barrels from mgm(matchgrademachine). They have great customer service and keep a bunch of barrels instock. Or they can build it to your specs...

No the Grendel is too much for the Contender frame but works in the Encore. I have a 14" 30-30AI Shilen SS barrel for my Contender that I got from MGM (Match Grade Machines) that is wonderful. Price was about the same as a factory TC blue barrel. I get 2650 fps with 125 Nosler ballistic tips and under 1" at 100 yards all day long. It hammers deer. I killed 4 deer with it this past season.

If you check the Bullberry site, they make several 6.5mm rounds that work in a G2 frame. 6.5 Bullberry,Bullberry Improved,and 6.5mm Match.
Chas

FYI, the 6.5 Bullberry Imp will get you very close to the Grendel performance and cost much less to reload than the Grendel . 30-30 brass!

By god, that's awesome. I didn't even think of that. I'm a big 7-30 fan, but have never tried one. This little 6.5 may be just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

I addition to that EABCO's 6.5 BRM is actually touting speed in excess of the grendel and they sale preloaded ammo too!

By god, that's awesome. I didn't even think of that. I'm a big 7-30 fan, but have never tried one. This little 6.5 may be just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

I mess around with the Herretts, and I'm kinda working on an improved 30 Herrett right now. But most like to play with 22 centerfires in them. I've been working off and on with a 15" .222 N.M. barrel for quite awhile (.246 necked chamber) that was built by Bullberry off a Wilson blank. Can't get the claimed velocties they all tout, but I have no trouble shooting low sixes with just about any 50 grain bullet. Kinda thinking that a 6.8 SPC case necked down to either 6mm or .223 might be a great little round to bust crows with (kinda like a 30-30 case made rimless, and shortened). That same case ought to push a 6.5 bullet weighing 120 grains to almost 2500 fps in a 16" barrel.

The real problem with T/C's is the forend stock. Buy the wide flat forend from Bullberry, and that will make a world of difference. I need to get acouple more of those forends to use with some of my other barrels as well.
gary

I am most interested in getting the ultimate long range shooting from the G2. I think that ultimate is the 6mm Bullberry Imp w/ 105 lvd is max. long range gun. However, the additional killing power of the 6.5 makes it the best all purpose gun in the G2. I still get great long range (500 yard +) ability and fine hunting characteristics in 1 package. Happy shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.