Which CeraKote Colors For My Next Rifle?

Which colors should I use for my next rifle?

• Flat Dark Earth & Coyote Tan

Votes: 97 42.7%
  • Foliage Green & Forest Green

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Sniper Gray & OD Green

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • Titanium & Flat Dark Earth

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Titanium & Sniper Gray

Votes: 25 11.0%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
A while back I had a thread that discussed colors for my next RIFLE. It used Cerakote's Virtual Coater Tool to create these color samples. I am finally getting to the task of setting up the poll based on the candidate colors that were suggested in the prior thread..

By the way, isn't this a fantastic color selection tool? You can access it yourself at Cerakote website

I would just caution you to not choose your own Cerakote color without seeing a sample in person as your computer monitor may not show colors in a true manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)

Coat-Earth-CoyTan.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)

Coat-Foliage-Forest.jpg

3)

Coat-sniper-OD.jpg

4)

Coat-Tit-Earth.jpg

5)

Coat-Tit-Sniper Gray.jpg

Last edited:
Another question but not in the poll itself. Should I have a solid color stock or add a "speckle" effect with an appropriate contrasting color?

My vote stays the same as the last time.

Barrel: FOLIAGE GREEN H-263

Stock: FOREST GREEN H-248

It just stands out for me, but it ain't for me. I do think if you speckled the stock with the barrel color it would defiantly look sharp though.:)

Len,

jmason and I come from the same neck of the woods but appear to have completely different "taste" in rifle colors.

Rifles are "painted" apparently to be pleasing to the human eye. To fit man's imagination or look cool rather than hide from the enemy (chucks, PDs, deer, elk, moose etc, which are all color blind anyway).

For the rifle, if you set it down to 'find a bush' you should have to hunt for it when you're done.:D This experience usually occurs only once as one quickly comes up with a fix such as a bread crumb trail or a tether.:rolleyes:

The colors/shades should match the ecosystem in which the rifle will be used. This certainly is an advantage when the game of interest is a half mile away across a canyon.:)

Also this concept makes it necessary to have a different scheme for each ecosystem. Makes things easier to explain to the wife when a new rifle show appears on the scene.

Google on reticulated giraffe and use that pattern. Pretty cool if its duplicated properly.

I'm in the final stages of refinishing my red/white/blue LRH rifle. It looked nifty on the range and drew comments from hunters moving by the shooting spot but didn't fit in the sage brush when ambushing yotes.

Speckle the squat out of things. To ensure random spots or texture use the tried and true tooth brush technique (outdoors, not the wife's kitchen).

Why not way out of the box.

Took some pics after ensuring the paint job didn't affect the shooting, which it didn't.

For an experimental job I learned a bunch.......

Rifle-on-gravel.jpg

Rifle-on-Rock.jpg
Rifle--Elk-Droppings.jpg

Len

I am thinking that you should go for the "pimp daddy" look on the stock.

How is this cheetah pattern?:D

I have got a snakeskin stock coming back from www.wedipit.com now.

Cost is right, only $85 and $15 for return shipping. Will post pics next week.

AP-831.jpg

Herman

Last edited:
I'm battling the same question right now. Planning on a brown scheme with either a giraffe or copperhead pattern. In my mind camoflague is synomamous with some degree of contrast. That is the biggest beef I have with most traditional types of camo. Mossy Oak looks like a lump of darkness most of the time. Being still and don't move; animals are color blind; ect ect all make it possible.

Just if contrast wasn't effective why are lepords, cheetas, tigers all yellow/orange with black stipes?

Then again why is a lion monochromatic?:D
'
BTW I Voted for the first brown on brown color scheme.

Len,

Flat dark earth and coyote tan are very close in color, don't go by the virtual deal on the NIC website.

I have Coyote Tan, Flat dark earth, patriot brown, desert sand, desert verde, armour black, graphite black, sniper gray, O.D. green, highland green and hidden white. If I can help ya choose in any way let me know.

Eddie, I agree. I have those samples, too. I will not be using CeraKote for the stock. But I will be using a paint that matches the Virtual Coater's colors as shown above.

Len,

I voted for the Sniper Gray & OD Green, because of what Eddie said about the Flat Dark Earth & Coyote Tan. If you could get the colors to come out like they are on the screen, I would use the Earth & Tan and speckle the Tan with Earth. Now the Gray & Green, I would speckle each with the other. Great camo effect!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.