Which style of stock for your next long range rifle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Len Backus, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to run a Poll on the above question. In this thread I'll listen to general answers from you and then I'll select finalists to utilize in an actual Poll. Same thing I did a couple years ago for "cartridge selection for your next long range rifle" which has been voted on by 3,611 members -- so far.

So, which style of stock for your next long range hunting rifle?

Let's use McMillan's styles as a reference point since more of us are familiar with them than any other manufacturer.

Click on the category links below to see individual styles. Again, just trying to get an idea of style. Other manufacturers sell similar styles but it's easier if we use one manufacturer's styles as a reference point.

Tactical styles

Hunting and sport

Ultralight

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Hunting Style, The Lazeroni Thumbhle sporter.

I have one of these on my 300 win. The fit is great, the cheek weld is high, felt recoil is lessened, and they are a very light stock. It is very adaptable to field conditions and easy to fall into a consistant hold.

Jeff

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Len
    I'm a big fan of the less tactical stocks. I went the A5/McHALE
    Route for a while and while good just didn't suit me. I now use
    A McMillian classic, manners mcst and an HS prescsion. More
    Traditional.

4. comfisherman

comfisherman Well-Known Member

M 40 a2 for me.

Just received my first m40 a 2 style stock and love the ergonomics of it. Have previously shot a-2's and a-5s and they were great as well but the m40 adds a little versatility.

Started the long range game because the shots that were presented to me were always 3-600 yards. After several years and lots of practice my abilities finally reached consistent long range, and the last 3 shots presented to me have been offhand under 80. Reminded me that Long range is just another tool and I still have to be prepared to harvest the closer ones as well, and the a2 is a lot easier for me to shoot offhand.

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

TTT..

6. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

A5 but from Joel.

7. midnightmalloy

midnightmalloy Well-Known Member

A3 sporter. Best of both worlds.

8. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

+1,
    Sexy, & practicle for L/R. Typically, you give up one for the other, but this stock has what I like. I agree, best of both worlds.

9. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

+1

Exactly the one that I will purchase for next build.

10. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I ordered a Manners MCST-5 for my next long range build. I find myself gravitating more & more towards the vertical grips as I find myself creating a more consistent purchase not to mention the more "traditional" style grips actually make my wrist hurt.

Couple that with the fact that i'm a SouthPaw, I usually have to go "outside" the box to get what I want. This is my first foray into a thumbhole style stock, but i'm still utilizing the near vertical grip.

My last LR rig is wearing the tried & true McMillan A-5, great stock, I would not hesitate to buy another.

11. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

+1 I really like the design of this stock....

12. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Probably a McMillan A5 although the precission hunter is going to get a hands on look for sure.

13. Dale S

Dale S Member

A-3 sporter

14. elktaxi1

elktaxi1 Well-Known Member

since my accident i have to go with a tactical in the axiom with a cheek piece by blackhawk. i have bare nervves in my shoulders and the recoil reducer is great.