your opinion of these rifles for long range?

huntin_fool

I have a few wildcats and i was wondering what ya'll opinion is of them for long range hunting/shooting. One of them is a 25 Gibbs on a savage action, custom stock, shooting Barnes triple shocks. Second is a 270 Gibbs. Havent shot it in years and cant even remember what load im shooting out of it. Third is a 7mm-300 wheatherby. I use this one the most. Mauser action, custom hand made stock, shooting 160 gr. nosler partisions at about 3400fps. 300 Wheatherby case necked down to 7mm. Just wondering what your opinion is of these rifles since i dont really have a rifle made specifically for long range.

I have a few wildcats and i was wondering what ya'll opinion is of them for long range hunting/shooting. One of them is a 25 Gibbs on a savage action, custom stock, shooting Barnes triple shocks. Second is a 270 Gibbs. Havent shot it in years and cant even remember what load im shooting out of it. Third is a 7mm-300 wheatherby. I use this one the most. Mauser action, custom hand made stock, shooting 160 gr. nosler partisions at about 3400fps. 300 Wheatherby case necked down to 7mm. Just wondering what your opinion is of these rifles since i dont really have a rifle made specifically for long range.

Thinking elk sized animals which includes terminal energy as consideration.

Medium range: 0 - 800 yards - 25 Gibbs
Medium range: 0 - 900+ - 270 Gibbs
Long range: beyond 1K 700-300 Weatherby.

Just cause it doesn't have a McMillan A5, Jewel trigger and a Nightforce scope it doesn't mean you don't really have a rifle made specifically for long range. Using it for LRH makes it "made" for LRH.

thanks! i love the gun. just super heavy to carry around the mountains. It shoots 160 gr partitions really well but i cant get them to retain their weight. I shot one bull a few years ago and it looked like i shot him in the shoulder with a hollow point. Just blew up when it hit. Maybe only hit one lung. Found him layin in a coulee looking around. he jumped up and i shot him in the neck dropping him right there. But ive also shot deer with it with the same result.

here is a pic of the 25 Gibbs and the 7mm-300 Weatherby.
Top one is the 25 and the bottom is the 7mm
Picture003-4.jpg

Pic of the 7mm by alone
Picture004-3.jpg

Pic of 25 alone
Picture005-3.jpg

25 Gibbs again
Picture006-2.jpg

The natural physics of ballistics say that the best shooting stuff is .257 to .284 for all ranges. So if you got rifles in ANY calibers in that range you're good to go. It's just the way science works. (Well then again, ya might want a .338 Edge for the 2k shots.)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.