Winchester's .270 WSM Is My Next Rifle Caliber

Nothing wrong at all with a straight Win 270.....and if you wish to shoot a slightly heavier slug.....go with the 30-06.

That USM and such so called short mags and just a phase is all. Shoot ok...sure...but why bother when ya all ready have good shooting calibers?

Nothing wrong at all with a straight Win 270.....and if you wish to shoot a slightly heavier slug.....go with the 30-06.

That USM and such so called short mags and just a phase is all. Shoot ok...sure...but why bother when ya all ready have good shooting calibers?

I agree with you, I always wanted a .270 but the lack of bullet weights is a pain, and I love my 30-06, The .270 shoots a heck of alot flatter than my faithfull .308, I think that everytime hunting season stops we all get bored and the mind starts to wonder for a mythicle Bullet just like we do the same with all our accessories be it binoculars, Kestrels models scopes and the list goes on, But those .270s 30-06 and the .308 are perfect hunting Cartridges and have served us will for many years and will do for many more too, And unlike these modern Magnums they wont put my right shoulder where my Left one use to Be or vice versa, and you dont have to get a night job just to run the things.

The fact is these are the perfect hunting and anything else is either too much gun or not enough, I would hate to think how much excess power A .338 has on a Deer at 150yds maybe 250yds who knows only the guys who shoot them and maybe half the meat is 200yds further up the hill by the time these big sticks have done their job, They all have their use's.

I like the sound of this .270wsm coz it even shoots flatter than a .270win but from the charts I've seen the .270wsm runs a little hotter too,

John

Bullet offerings in .277 have been on the increase in the past ~5 years after quite a length of time being stagnant. Even Nosler has/is introducing an Accubond LR in .277. So, ask yourself:

A) Why is that? (Answer: Primarily because of the 270 WSM cartridge)

B) If bullet manufacturers are investing in equipment to build bullets largely for that cartridge, do you really think it's just a 'trend'?

C) Are there more or less rifles being produced in 270 WSM than 5 years ago?

I doubt most people who rag on the WSM calibers have ever owned a rifle in that chambering. We'll see in 10+ years what's here to stay, and what isn't. I feel confident enough that my next build is going to be in 270 WSM, as my current sporter impresses the hell out of me every time I shoot it, and was what attracted me to reloading.

Also, how many cartridges are there in use today that can effectively be loaded from varmint all the way up to large/dangerous game? Definitely a few, but IMO the 270 WSM strikes the perfect balance on either side of the spectrum. Don't agree? Go shoot your 7x57 or 45-70 or whatever your old *** is used to. :) The 270 caliber is still young in comparison to 7mm and .308 calibers, give it time to catch up.

This thread has already convinced me that I want A .270 and If I can get to see the .270wsm in action then it just might become my everyday Rifle, They are So Flat shooting and to find something that flat I think a person would have to step up to the Magnums to see a marked improvement,

John

I've located a BAR (my favorite rifles) in 270 WSM. It also is equipped with the BoSS system. None of my bAR's have the boss but I'd love to try it. I think this would be a great antelope rifle/ Muley rifle. I used my 25-06 bar last fall on my first trip to Wyoming. It worked great. I made my longest shot at 327yds. This is a long shot for me. Where I live you normally get those 40 to 60 yard shots. Unless of course your using a bow or crossbow then they like the 100 yard range! Lol

Id take a straight 270 Win any day of the week.....but the WSM brand of anything leaves me cold.....They eat barrels.!

Yes Mate I agree, I like to keep my things in top order and that would bug me having to send it in to get it replaced alot, Plus the .270 is a flat shooter anyway and its fast enough So that would be the deal breaker for me although you could down load it but that takes away the reason a person would buy it in the first place,

john

Well depending on the loads you are using and the caliber IE Speed/FPS I know 243s can get a Tad hungry when they are going for it I've known people to kill Barrels in around 3000 rds yet others have got over 6,7 and 8000 from .308s mind you that guy treated his 308 with velvet gloves???

John

If you push your 270 WSM, fire strings of rounds and do nothing to maintain the throat you'll start loosing some speed around 1200-1400 rounds, accuracy will follow soon after. The last barrel I put on has been shot much slower and I've been maintancing the throat and at 800 rounds looks very good. Nitriding a 270 WSM barrel would make for a long life shooter.

I don't think I'd have to worry about burning one up. I wouldn't have time to shoot
8 rounds much less 800! My little boy keeps me on my heels.

Having new barrels coated with melonite or Nitrided will triple their life if you are worried about the barrels and its alot cheaper than buying a new barrel,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts