Winchester's .270 WSM Is My Next Rifle Caliber

Bell had a very successful strategy for the range and type of shooting he did, he wanted a light, precision tool for his needs and way of hunting, his article on big bore vs small bore is one I like and agree with a lot as I tend to shoot cals on the smaller side for the ranges I shoot them but the fact remains that what we are doing on this forum is a direct opposite to what he did. If all I did is shoot deer out to a few hundred yards I'd likely never use anything more than a 6.5x47, I can imagine Bell would really like some of the cartridges and bullets we have today like the 260 or 7mm-08 with a fast twist barrel and mono bullet but then he shot the 220 Swift as well which was kinda the Wizzbang of it's day so maybe he would find the WSM's interesting like a 270 WSM with a 180 Woodleigh.

Then .270's BC is about to get a real boost when Nosler releases its new long range 150 gr accubond next month.

I have just spent 6 days working on Ballistic/Bullet drop charts (about 75 Hours) and at the end of it all I just found out that all these big cannons are Beautifull pieces of Kit but the recoil figures are through the roof and because of this most of us wont feel to happy about using them after we have finished zeroing them and found what they are like to shoot,

So I set out to try and find a Rifle that was the most useful and one that did'nt send me to Rehab, my Favourite the .308 Really left me wanting to find something better when I made charts that went out to 1760yds, So enter the 30-06 (I own one and love it but I am aware the recoil is more like a strong Gentle Push were the .308 is more like a lighter stab, The 30-06 does what the .308 can only it does it a 150yds further out and these .30 cals have more Bullet weights than most other Rifles, So my next Victim to be placed on the charts is the Rifle I have always wanted and never bought.

ENTER:- THE .270 Winchester:D, It Shoots about 115" flatter than my .308 at 1000yds, ( I wont put the 1760yds figures coz its just embaresing), But to my horror I found the lack of Bullet weights for the .270 has always stopped me from buying one, hmmm.

So now my search went on and I found a Gem,

ENTER:- The 300win Mag:D:D:D, and it shoots even flatter than the .270 and does have the knock down power And I get to play with all those Lovely .30 Projectile's and what I save on Rehab can go on reloading gear, Scopes etc,

SERIOUSLY:- All I found out was that all those giant cannons are all very well but it remains a fact that more Game has been taken in the US with the .308, .270. and the 30-06, and as for these other mysticle Caliber's they will not lead us to the fountain of youth, and I am dissapointed with all what I have found because these rareer Calibers are not always available And if its down to putting food on the table then the old faithfulls are still king of the hill, and all these Hotrod rounds from the last 50 years are incredible for Long Range Target shooting/Varmint shooting, Even the .243 has proved its self and the only issue with it is that it can be a Barrel burner but it is a great Rifle just the same.

When someone told me about the .270WSM I was like a kid in a candy store BUT here's the Kicker The .300win Mag has the same recoil and a massive sellection of Bullet weights and it shoots flatter and hits harder, So Guess which one I will be going for If I do want to up Grade,

This is just my view and the most important issues that made me come to these views are How easy is it to get the Ammunition and I wanted to be able to shoot it at the range IE messing around changing scopes and not regrete firing 20 or 50 rounds or more a Day without wakeing up tomorrow and as I get Up shouting "Ohhh %&@#".

And the fact I lost 56lbs in 3 weeks has also made me not to want to shoulder any of these big Moma's.

Blessin's John

"ENTER:- THE .270 Winchester:D, It Shoots about 115" flatter than my .308 at 1000yds, ( I wont put the 1760yds figures coz its just embaresing), But to my horror I found the lack of Bullet weights for the .270 has always stopped me from buying one, hmmm."

Well John, your right on this but it is changing. There is a growing number of bullets and various weights arriving on the .277 scene. You go on to say....

"So now my search went on and I found a Gem,
ENTER:- The 300win Mag:D:D:D, and it shoots even flatter than the .270 and does have the knock down power And I get to play with all those Lovely .30 Projectile's and what I save on Rehab can go on reloading gear, Scopes etc,

When someone told me about the .270WSM I was like a kid in a candy store BUT here's the Kicker The .300win Mag has the same recoil and a massive sellection of Bullet weights and it shoots flatter and hits harder, So Guess which one I will be going for If I do want to up Grade,"

I happen to own all of these and I shoot them. I can tell you that you must be shooting something else if you are serious about the recoil. My 300wm has far more recoil than my 270wsm. I love both, ut I'll take the 270wsm any day over the 300 for deer out to 700 yards and for just shooting all day. jmo

I happen to own all of these and I shoot them. I can tell you that you must be shooting something else if you are serious about the recoil. My 300wm has far more recoil than my 270wsm. I love both, ut I'll take the 270wsm any day over the 300 for deer out to 700 yards and for just shooting all day. jmo

Thanks for the info Carpetman2 regarding the recoil of the300win mag, I was quoted figures of 25/26ftlbs and the same for the .270WSM,

Thank the Lord I were'nt going to buy a 450/557gun), I wish they would give us more bullet weights for these .270 and the Barrel Life is the other thing, Do you know how long the Barrel life is on the .270WSM and what is the ammo Availibility like for the .270WSM,

Thanks for your Help,

John

I do not know the expected barrel life. I do know that all the area retailers carry several different makes and loads for the 270wsm. Right now, with all that is going on I can find 270wsm ammo where a fella can't find anything else. I also can get bullets where others are gone. That of course hopefully will change as supplies restocks.:)

So have you made a comparison between the .270 and the .270WSM as in bullet flight and range along with the running cost??

But one thing I would like to know what the differance is between the case size's ??

thanks again John

Thanks for the info Carpetman2 regarding the recoil of the300win mag, I was quoted figures of 25/26ftlbs and the same for the .270WSM,

Thank the Lord I were'nt going to buy a 450/557gun), I wish they would give us more bullet weights for these .270 and the Barrel Life is the other thing, Do you know how long the Barrel life is on the .270WSM and what is the ammo Availibility like for the .270WSM,

Thanks for your Help,

John

I ran the numbers for the recoil of a 270 WSM pushing a .650 BC 165gr bullet at 3060fps and it came out at 21.1 ft lbs of recoil at 11.6 fps velocity, the 300 win pushing the 210 Berger vld at 3000fps puts you at 30.3 ft lbs of recoil at a velocity of 14 fps, both in a 10 pound rifle.

Hi BnG good to have you here,

and thank you for the figures, The figures I found were far less and the rifle was only 8.0-8.5lbs bearing in mind these are the raw weight as in no scope and an empty mag, so here go's, for an 8.5lbs rifle (150gr@3320 = 23.5 and 13.3 and for the 8.0lbs rifle 165@3110 = 26.2 and 14.5, And an 8.0lbs rifle 180gr@2960 = 25.9 and 14.0).

But I'm not sure what this all means apart from the lighter it is the more it kicks, But my goal is either getting hold of one of these rifles that will handle big Game but also shoot flat, And try and keep the recoil figures down to what my 30-06 is with 168gr hpbt at around 2900fps Granted the rifle is just on/or under 10lbs so as it can be used for comp shoots

Thanks again John

Hi BnG good to have you here,

and thank you for the figures, The figures I found were far less and the rifle was only 8.0-8.5lbs bearing in mind these are the raw weight as in no scope and an empty mag, so here go's, for an 8.5lbs rifle (150gr@3320 = 23.5 and 13.3 and for the 8.0lbs rifle 165@3110 = 26.2 and 14.5, And an 8.0lbs rifle 180gr@2960 = 25.9 and 14.0).

But I'm not sure what this all means apart from the lighter it is the more it kicks, But my goal is either getting hold of one of these rifles that will handle big Game but also shoot flat, And try and keep the recoil figures down to what my 30-06 is with 168gr hpbt at around 2900fps Granted the rifle is just on/or under 10lbs so as it can be used for comp shoots

Thanks again John

The numbers your have above are about 5 ft lbs lower than what an 8lb 300 win mag will produce, hhttp://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgittp://
Not saying the 270 WSM is a light weight but you can get a lot of ballistics for the recoil!!!

hhttp://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgittp://

I own a 300WM, a 270,and 270 WSM.I bought the 300 in 1963 when I was still in the Marines.It has been my go to rifle since it's purchase.When I shoot it I have to prepare myself for the recoil.I shoot it with 180gr Partitions.It rocks pretty good.Recoil has never bothered me too much until recently.Shot it a couple years ago and didn't mount it correctly and man did it do the job on my upper arm, black and blue almost to my elbow.When I bought it there was no recoil pad on it.Bought a new Boyd's walnut stock and Decelerator pad and now it is a dream to shoot.
My 270WSM is a Rem model 7 with a laminated stock,goes about 7.25 lbs with a Leupold 4-12 on it.Seems like it doesn't recoil at all, about like one of my 257 Roberts.
My 270 is a Remington 721 with a Bausch& Lomb 2.5-8 power.Weighs right at 7.5lbs.Recoil about the same as 270WSM.
They all shoot sub moa at150 yds.ME LIKE IT:)

Randy

Hey guys, aren't you forgetting about the 7MM WSM. Isn't that a good compromise between the 270wsm and 300wsm.

If I was going to go to a new fangled short mag I would take a good look at that one!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.