rifle caliber

screech

Hey guys

I'm looking for a cartridge that can anchor a coyote up to 350yrds. max. It needs to be super quite because of my neighbors dont like the noise. I was thinking a 17-22hornet
shooting the 37grain vld. I dont know if this would be able to kill a coyote humanly at 350yrds though. What are your guys opinions? It will probablly be built in an encore barrel. Thanks

Screech,

You are way too considerate to both the neighbors and the coyote.

My closest neighbor is 110 yards from the shooting bench and she's gun shy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Several houses down, my shootin buddy's bench is even closer to his neighbor's back door. But hey, he was there first.

We get no complaints at his place until we get up to the 220 Swift and any thing above.

The quietist thing I have is a REM 722 222 Rem w/a factory 26" bbl. Though 350 is a stretch for the 222 unless you set it up for long range. Yotes usually don't allow that much time though.

I'd recommend a 223 and do some conditioning on the neighbors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd opt for a 223 Remington: Quiet, almost no recoil and its plenty of gun to go out to 350 yards for coyote. If you go the HBAR AR-15 route or the bolt gun you can get plenty of cheap milsurp ball ammo thats fine for punchin holes in yotes and leavin the pelts in good shape. Or if you wanna show off to friends and neighbors I'd handload the 50-55gr Hornady SPSX (Super Explosive). They are balls accurate and make a mess out of everything from woodchucks to deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.