What's your favorite hunting knife?

I have a Knives of Alaska "Alpha Wolf". It is very hard steel but holds a razor edge for a long time. I can get through an elk, moose or three deer without touching it up. I no longer carry a sharpener with me. Good knife and good for caping too.

A homemade knife I found by a pile of bones on a muledeer hunt in Montrose CO. I don't even use my parker any more.

Cutco with a double diamond edge. Serrated and fixed blade with large rubber handle. It is great for cleaning and disarticulating joints. Fairly cheap and doesn't dull. Atleast not very fast:D

i bought a blade and fiited the handle/scales turned out not to bad and is razor sharp!
knife002.jpg

I have found that "Most" custom knifes have the best steels and the best Heat treat
for longer sharpness and can be custom made for your special needs and likes.

I tried every knife known to man and until I used my first Custom knife I was OK with
2 or 3 brands. but when I used the custom to clean 2 Elk,3 mule deer,7 white tails,
and 4 turkeys in one year and it was still sharp I was sold on the custom knife.

PS; It's like the differance between a factory rifle and a Custom rifle.

I now make my own

If you want a store bought Knife I would recomend the Gerber Gator .

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE Custom which customs to you have and like the best. I was looking at the Ruana from MT. Could you post or pm me a pic of the ones you make and are you interested in making maybe one more? I would love to hear some of the details in making a knife.

Brent

JE Custom which customs to you have and like the best. I was looking at the Ruana from MT. Could you post or pm me a pic of the ones you make and are you interested in making maybe one more? I would love to hear some of the details in making a knife.

Brent

Brent.

PM sent .

J E CUSTOM

any of the small Dozier's.. my current carry knife is the Dozier K8. Dozier has perfected the tempering process for D2. They will dress several deer before needing a touch up on the edge.

I recently started making my own knives. I just had a hankering one day to try my hand at knife making, so I did some online research and ordered some steel.

Here are the first two knives I've made. D2 and Zebrawood
Knives.jpg

Here is number 3
D2 and Cocobolo
Tyeknife2.jpg

Number 4
D2 and Cocobolo
lt.jpg

These were gifts and a couple of them have been used on multiple animals and the reports I'm getting is that edge retention is awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.