What's your favorite hunting knife?

thanks man

i like D2 a lot. but don't use it as much as i do S30V. seems i can sell an S30V blade much faster. some people frown on D2 for its lower corrosion resistance.

Maybe this was not a good thread for me to open!! Some nice stuff here makes me want a new one!

Most of my knives (22) were made by Martin Pullen who was one of the best IMHO plus we were good friends over the years. He is gone now (I was a pallbearer) and I use several of them and they vary all the way from D2, Vasco Wear to Stellite.

Beautiful knife misfire. Very talented. Can any of you fellas make a serrated blade? I realize that is probably not very refined. Kinda like a tasco on a GaPrecision but I like em. ESP my cutco!

they don't come out right unless you have a serrating diamond wheel, or a crusher to shape a regular super slow stone grinding wheel to the given serration pattern.

not too many custom guys doing them, as the equipment is specialized and expensive usually.

but you can do a pretty decent job with a file and some practice. and make sure to get a DMT round diamond file to clean them up to a nice sharp edge.

some local knife sharpening companies (market grinding here) that take care of restaurants have the equipment to make serrations for their bread knives. might be something to look in to for a few bucks you could mod a favorite hunting knife

they don't come out right unless you have a serrating diamond wheel, or a crusher to shape a regular super slow stone grinding wheel to the given serration pattern.

not too many custom guys doing them, as the equipment is specialized and expensive usually.

but you can do a pretty decent job with a file and some practice. and make sure to get a DMT round diamond file to clean them up to a nice sharp edge.

some local knife sharpening companies (market grinding here) that take care of restaurants have the equipment to make serrations for their bread knives. might be something to look in to for a few bucks you could mod a favorite hunting knife

Pullen used a Dremel and had a fixture to hold the angle.....

A Kershaw DeerHunter is over 20 years old.
Recently bought a Buck 191 with gut hook with the following etched on the blade "Last Production Year El Cajon, CA" with the signature of Chuck Buck and another signature that is unreadable. This knife might be too good to use but it is worth less than the Kershaw.
My Western W84 is light and has a hole for a thong.

I bought a Kiwi custom made skinning knife with a Stag Horn handle made by a professional hunter in New Zealand. He is a friend of my brother who live there. Great knife and I will buy more from the guy. Also look forward to a hunt with him in the not distant future. Downline:)

Randall Trout & Bird for small game: has a cutting edge on top. Randall Bushmaster for large game, also has a cutting edge on top. BTW in a previous reply, the Randall Alaskan Skinner is a Model 11 - great knife, used one for 15 yrs.

My Favorite is a knife a good mate made from me , bashed out of a tapered roller bearing from a Caterpillar 797 truck final drive , it took him 10 hours to forge the bearing into a blank and then who knows how many hours to finish it , he wont tell me but he put his heart into it and the result is something I will treasure for ever.
P1050556_edited.jpg

All he wanted as payment was to see me use it and it was my great pleasure to take and use it on this years Red Stag hunt here in Australia , the steel is an amazingly hard edge holding type and I have dealt with 5 deer this year only requiring a tickle on the steel to bring it back to shaving sharp.

P1050479.jpg

L1000064-1.jpg

Knives are a very personal part of anyones hunting kit , I have many but none that mean more to me than one that money could not buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.