WHAT'S YOUR BENCH SET-UP

LRHWAL

WHAT\'S YOUR BENCH SET-UP

The more I read and the more people I speak to and the more photos I see, the more variety I see. I'm also considering some alternatives to my current set-up.

I was going to set up a poll, but there are just so many different approaches; bipods and rear bag, bench rest front rest with bench rest bags, butterfly bags, "varmint style" bags (my current set-up), the "full" metal rests etc.

In fact, if you believe what you read in some places the results that the LRH guys achieve (and F-Class too) seem impossible with out the full bench rest set-up and technique! (Like golf - theoretically that seems impossible too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, not that I play).

So lets hear what you guys like.

Thanks for sharing.

Wim

Re: WHAT\'S YOUR BENCH SET-UP

I use a Caldwell 1kBR front rest and a rear bag for my bench work. I have a pair of Harris bi-pods I use sometimes hunting and for shooting on the 500m range where there are no benches, with of course a rear bag.

Personally I'm evolving backwards.

For 3 decades + I used a pedestal rest up front and sand bag on the rear. I still kind of have that habit.

I built my bench so that I shoot standing. The posts just happened to be that long and I was too lazy that day to saw them off.

For chrono work, ladder tests, OCW development I use the bench as I have a post set for the chrony.

When I purchase a very shot bipod I'll not use the pedestal any longer.

For all other shooting such as drop chart development and long range gong ringing/milk jug bustin/and clay bird whackin', chuckin'/yotin'/LR deer and elk I shoot prone with bipod and sometimes a rear bag and the sitting position only when there is no other way.

I have used bipods but most times I am on some sort of incline viewing an opposite sidehill. Never can get quite comfortable, heading downhill with a bipod and the areas I hunt have quite a bit of weeds. The post that holds the slide pipe and bolt has a collar that allows pivot and lateral sliding in the front portion of the base. This gives me as close to 180 degree coverage from one position as I could figure while keeping the thing as small as I could.

This is my home bench set-up and I also drag it to any range I go to that has wobbly benches. Only ones I like better are the ones made of concrete. Then I use a Sinclair with windage top on which I have bolted an oversized footprint 1/2" stainless plate. Currently making my own benchtop rest, big and heavy, with a 1-1/2" center post bolt.

I have formed front bags that I interchange between the 3" flat bottomed rifles, the laminated savage stocks, and a couple of mushy ones to accomodate other types of rifles. Can shoot from the knees, from a stool, or standing stooped over. I prefer the stool.

lrbenchdown.jpg

lrbenchup.jpg

Hoyteman

Nice design. Tell me about why you sometimes use:

"and a couple of mushy ones to accomodate other types of rifles".

Thanks Len,
The main two I use have been soaked in water, rifle set in them and allowed to dry to form fit to the three inch forend and savage style forend like a glove. I also formed the forend of my wildcat stock to the same profile as the Savage. This fits well for the main four rifles I use. I like the tight stock channel in order to be right back on target before the bullet hits. You can also leave the stock sit in the rest and it is set, no tipping over. With this setup there is no need or want for lateral movement in the front bag. With a little practice you hook your elbow over the off side and use your chest to slide the rear of the rest back and forth for lateral adjustment. That is why it is narrow in the back. The other hand is on the elevation wheel.

The mushy (off the shelf), pliable bags are for when someone comes and brings any other profile of rifle, a factory bdl for example. I carry a 1 inch and 2 inch one. They still hold very steady for the shot, but do not return to battery quite as well. Also I won't shoot my VLS in the savage formed bag, although it would work, it would stretch it out.

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Nice set-up Hoyteman. (Nice paint job on the bench too!)

Wim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.