Your favorite custom action?

Beowolf

I'm looking to put together a long range rifle in a little bit. It's going to be about a 40/60 split between a hunting rifle and a long distance target rifle, so even though accuracy is key, I'm hesitant to go with Kelby actions for example, because them seem to be mostly bench-rest types. I would be very nervous taking them into the field as the tolerances seem to be so tight that even a little dust or dirt would wreak havoc. Same with the usual jostles and jolts that a typical hunting rifle is subjected to. Am I correct in my thinking?

My requirements are that it have have a left handed bolt, functional safety, and be able to drop into a hunting stock with moderate effort (preferably compatible with Remington 700 stocks and triggers). Caliber would be either 300 win mag or a 338 Laupa. Repeater would be nice as well.

So far I'm leaning towards the Borden Rimrock actions now as they seem to be designed more for hunting rifles and meet all the requirements. Does anyone have anything to say about these? I haven't been able to find really any reviews of them. How about the other manufacturers such as Bat, Stillen, Farley, Viper, etc?

I know the specs of almost all of them, I'm just trying to figure out the "intangibles" such as how reliable they are, if they really are that accurate or if the top shooters are merely paid to use them, etc.

even nthough I have never handeled one I would probably go with the Lawton 7000 series ,either that or a Surgen.
of the ones I used the Surgen would be my choice for a working gun.

Lawton 1.450" or the 1.650". both are compatible with rem triggers, bottom metal and in left hand. 1.450 is $695 and the 1.650 is $795. Both come as single shots or repeaters.

Very few if any top shooters are paid to shoot any action. Many "win" actions and end up using them.

Only the larger BAT, Nesika and Surgeons might be able to handle the 338 Lapua set up as repeater other than the Lawton.

BAT is great action but softer metal and mine has galled twice with small piece of sand. Lawtons are much harder metal and half the price.

BH

I may be mistaken but I believe the Borden Rimrock action is a "tight" benchrest action.He does however offer his new Alpine and Timberline actions which are a little looser than the Rimrock and they're available in lefthand configurations.The Stiller Predator is another one offered although Im not sure if its available in LH configurations or not.
It may boil down to the type of hunting you do.For myself,I wouldnt hesitate to use a BR quality action on hunting rifle because I prefer to glass/stand hunt.

[ QUOTE ]

Lawton 1.450" or the 1.650". both are compatible with rem triggers, bottom metal and in left hand. 1.450 is $695 and the 1.650 is $795. Both come as single shots or repeaters.

Very few if any top shooters are paid to shoot any action. Many "win" actions and end up using them.

Only the larger BAT, Nesika and Surgeons might be able to handle the 338 Lapua set up as repeater other than the Lawton.

BAT is great action but softer metal and mine has galled twice with small piece of sand. Lawtons are much harder metal and half the price.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. So in your opinion the Lawton would be as accurate as the other actions out there and would also be tough enough to withstand some hunting/harsh weather?

Anyways, I guess I just assumed that most shooters were sponsored and paid to use the actions because that's how a lot of folks operate in the bowhunting world. A lot of newbies say "so and so uses this bow, it must be the best bow out there", not realizing that they're merely sponsored. I just didn't want to be misled by the "new world record shot using XXX action" lines.

[ QUOTE ]
I may be mistaken but I believe the Borden Rimrock action is a "tight" benchrest action.He does however offer his new Alpine and Timberline actions which are a little looser than the Rimrock and they're available in lefthand configurations.The Stiller Predator is another one offered although Im not sure if its available in LH configurations or not.
It may boil down to the type of hunting you do.For myself,I wouldnt hesitate to use a BR quality action on hunting rifle because I prefer to glass/stand hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably know more about this than I do, but I was under the impression that the Bordens use the "Borden bumps" that allow the action to close tightly without the need for super tight tolerances.

Beowolf,

Very few shooters are sponsored like Mathews does in archery. They have over 95% of the competitive shooters under their tent. Hoyt only has about 5% of the shooters and is winning over 50% of the matches. Go Hoyt!!

I have Rem, Win, BATs, Kelby, Rampro, Lawtons and Stillers and for the money especially, the Lawton is absolutely great. I am ordering another soon.

Mine is SS and its metal is as good as anything else and better in some cases.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.