Which Custom Action?

Which Custom Action?

Stiller. Mine should be ready next month. There are several great actions out there but you also asked about which are best for the money. That said, Stiller is the most appropriate answer.

Mine will be for a 6.5x284.

Good luck.

I have played with a few Stiller actions and they are nice , I roled the dice and whent with Pheonix Machine on the advice of my smith , from hwat I felt when I played with it here before shipping out for the build I'm glad I did ,I like the extra options I had available if I wanted them.

All that said my "New Favorite" is realy nice and smooth , fast 60 deg bolt throw , M-16 extractor located in the right place on the bolt and 6 locking lugs. Its a bit more robust than the Rem 700 clones though

Badger2.jpg

Badger.jpg

the "Hide" is snipershide.com

here is the group buy in the link

Stiller Group buy 2008 OPEN - Sniper's Hide Forums

Thanks James,
I emailed phoenix and was surprised, had no idea the originator of Nesika Bay.

FYI for those that don't know...
You may be aware of a company Glen Harrison started over 15 years ago - Nesika Bay Precision it has been reborn as Phoenix machine.

Phoenix Machine Technologies produces the finest bolt actions on the market today. We are
offering new and improved designs where we are able to hold tolerances no one else can
touch, and all action components are interchangeable. At the moment, we are able to deliver
three lengths of Remington replacement receivers usually within 30 days of ordering, starting at
$350.00. (Our short action is equivalent to the Rem Model 7, our medium action is equivalent
to the short Rem 700, and our long action is equivalent to the Rem 700 long) They are
completely custom, allowing you to order any configuration (i.e. right bolt, left port or left, left).
Very soon, we will be offering complete actions with one- piece bolts, advanced primary​
extraction and of course we'll be using the highest grade of materials.

I received my first Phoenix action today for a build. I fitted it with a PTG bolt. I must say that that the quality is very good. Very square across the bolt face (within .0003"), the lugs wipe clean without lapping, and tight. Just what you would expect from a custom. I will probably be ordering a half dozen for stock this week.

I only have experience with one "custom" action, the Surgeon. I really like that action, and is our most accurate rifle. The rest of our rifles are factory actions, trued up. My gunsmith just received a Phoenix action for our next build, which I'm pretty excited about. Will report back later when everything is finished up (probably a few months). But my vote for now can only go for the Surgeon, as that is the only custom action I have experience with.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.