Which savage action should i get?

Mordis

HI, I know i posted along time ago about starting out and picking which caliber i want, well I had to post pone my gun purchase becuase I ended up having anouther baby! Now im about to get a nice refund check and would like to purchase a gun from savage.

I dont know which of there models to get because i plan getting multiple barrels in different calibers. I know that someday i want to get a barrel for it in one of the 338s, preferably the edge tho i dont know how good the 338 winmag is for long rang hunting.

I know they have short actions and long actions, but which long action would best suite my needs. Id like to start out with a standard caliber like the .270 or 7mmremmag or or 30.06(which can be acklyized later) but would work for rebarreling latter to 338edge.

I dont have a love affair with the ought six, and would prefere either the 7mmremmag or the .270win. I find my self leaning twords the .270 just becuase it seems like a great starting round and according to the hornady balisitic computer would do the job out to 700 yards if you go by the 1000ftlb of energy at impact rule. So what is the general consensus of the .270win and the caliber .270 here at LRH?

So what are your reccomendations and ideas, i look forward to them and will post back with updates.

I had a 270 Savage set up for walkabout hunting and the average long poke. Worked really well with 150gr SST's.

However, I sold that and kept my 7RM Savage. Does all I want, have awesome LR bullets with much higher BC's and has heavier bullets which can do more work at LR.

Recoil is higher and this rifle wears a muzzle brake - now a big recoil wuss.

I can spot my own hits from 300yds and out. Has proven sub MOA at 900yds.

Old gen Det mag which is fine for its intended uses. Light, compact and portable.

Works for me... I think a new center feed det mag accutrigger would be a nice upgrade if the mood ever strikes.

Jerry

Well i have a offer on a older and very used Remmington m700 bdl in 7mm rem mag. It has over 5k rounds through the barrel tho, and remmingtons arnt as easy to rebarrel as savages. Tho the price is nice for it, i essentialy be buying it for the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts