What's your opinion?

Lol on the last post. I use my 7mm RM sporter for hunting, but I don't really think its "fun" to shoot and I'm a pretty big guy.
For fun I shoot either a .22 lr or my .223 with my buddies.
I can handle quite a bit of recoil and have shot a .50 barrett while I was in the AF and used to test ammo.
But seriously, being able to handle recoil and wanting a lot of it are two different things.
I can shoot my 7mm RM accurately, but the most recoil I can honestly say that I can send a huge number of rounds downrange with and say I "enjoy" is maybe .308. These are all "unbraked" of course.
BTW, my 7mm RM sporter has worse recoil than the Barrett .50 i used to test with, so felt recoil is waaaaay different than actual recoil.

here is one for ya!
savage 10/110BA bolt action in .338Lapua (and learn to reload you will need it) And put a real nice scope on it one designed for the long shots. Be prepared to put 1 to 1.5K out for a good LD scope. Lepould, Swarsksi just to name 2
For the kind of shooting you are talking about go extreme.

Lol on the last post. I use my 7mm RM sporter for hunting, but I don't really think its "fun" to shoot and I'm a pretty big guy.
I can handle quite a bit of recoil and have shot a .50 barrett while I was in the AF and used to test ammo.
But seriously, being able to handle recoil and wanting a lot of it are two different things.
I can shoot my 7mm RM accurately, but the most recoil I can honestly say that I can send a huge number of rounds downrange with and say I "enjoy" is maybe .308. These are all "unbraked" of course.
BTW, my 7mm RM sporter has worse recoil than the Barrett .50 i used to test with, so felt recoil is waaaaay different than actual recoil.

I shoot a Savage 111-11 7MM Rem Mag. It happens to have a limb saver
recoil pad. I can spend the day at the range with no discompfort from recoil. I have a brake, but I some times forget to turn it on. no problem. might give it a try.

Last edited:
Get the Savage 300win mag. If you want to go bigger you can change the barrel and bolt face yourself for very little money compared to buying a new bigger caliber. Pre cut barrels are easy had from many places. Unscrew the barrel nut then the barrrel put the new one on and set your head space. Hole job can be done in 30 min.

My son has a couple of rifles, one is a 7mm Rem Mag, Winchester model 70. The other is a Winchester Model 70 in a 270 Caliber. He was complaining a
lot about his shoulder hurting. He put a limb saver recoil pad on each of them. Both seem to be tamed down a lot.

I'm a new member,so Hi to everyone.I was looking to buy a new sidearm and spied a left-handed rifle.Being a lefty I asked the owner what it was.He said it is a Weatherby Mk.v in 7mm STW.I'd never heard of one and he didn't know much about it.It is used and in excellent shape.It has a camo synthetic stock.It is stainless with a 26 inch fluted barrel I'm sure.It also has a sling and scope rings.He said a grand out the door.I needed to research the item,and that's how I came across your forum.I'm a good listener and welcome any wisdom.Sincerely,Skudder1.

Skudder1:

You may get more responses if you started a new thread.....

Thats a "hot" old wildcat round that shoots flat and has good enegry out past 400 yards.

Do you reload?

Not sure about the price....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.