What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

Great hunting round but out of gas way too early to be competitive in the ELR realm.
While i agree I need to know what defines elr for that to be true. Is ELR only over one mile? If so then yeah this checks out (also 30 cals in general, while capable, won't be competitive at such distance beside the 338s and especially 375s). If it's appreciably under one mile the .300 Winnie is competitive. Though certainly not "ultimate" (and I love mine! 225 eld m at a comfortable 2800 fps does okay)

I appreciate all the modern cartridge options mentioned. Albeit, this old timer who also owns a 300 Rum, loves my 30-338 Win. I get 3100fps with 210's and decent case life as long as I anneal. I also like how far a lb of powder goes.
Wild rose you are very correct, my 30-338 win, although a great wildcat, will not go the extra long haul.

Some years ago I developed the 308 Van Horn based on the 500 Jeffery necked down and improved. Short, fat 2 1/8" case that I believe will be efficent both in powder and recoil. I have a rifle put together by Virgin Valley Custom on pre64 Mod. 70 Std. length action (to accomodate long bullets). High grade fiddle back walnut stock. 26" bbl. w/ Virgin Valley on/off muzzle brake along with dies. Fired less than 10 rds. If anyone is interested I would sell for much under cost. Bill Van Horn, [email protected].

While i agree I need to know what defines elr for that to be true. Is ELR only over one mile? If so then yeah this checks out (also 30 cals in general, while capable, won't be competitive at such distance beside the 338s and especially 375s). If it's appreciably under one mile the .300 Winnie is competitive. Though certainly not "ultimate" (and I love mine! 225 eld m at a comfortable 2800 fps does okay)
For the purposes of this forum I think the agreement is that it starts around 1,200yds. Even my venerable Rum's start sucking wind that far out.

338's, 375's, 408's, 416's and the 50 BMG rule frm 1,200-2,500yds and beyond.

The Winnie may still be hitting targets beyond 1,200yds, but with minimal energy so you're really on shaking ground when it comes to using it as a hunting cartridge that far out.

According to Marine Corps LR shooters, the 300 WM is their standard rifle for 1000+ yards. They also use several other rifles and calibers for special purpose shooting! For the 300 WM they use bullets in the 190 - 215 gn range! This appears to be most useful choice for military use! Same would apply to larger game animals.

According to Marine Corps LR shooters, the 300 WM is their standard rifle for 1000+ yards. They also use several other rifles and calibers for special purpose shooting! For the 300 WM they use bullets in the 190 - 215 gn range! This appears to be most useful choice for military use! Same would apply to larger game animals.
We use the .300 WinMag and it's max effective range is supposed to be 1200 meters (1313 yards), however with the 190 SMK ammo we shoot that is pushing it. An ELR load/cartridge it is not, push some 215 Bergers at a decent velocity and things change.
The US Army is not using the 300 PRC, some spec ops units may be different but I haven't seen one. The 300 Norma is what we are getting, and with the ammo we have tested it is substantially better than what we use now.

What would fit in a standard length action, magnum bolt face, no belt, powder capacity enough to launch 180grain bullet 3000 fps if desired?
that's my next 30 cal