What does Deer Hunting teach you?

Deer hunting has taught me a deep appreciation and respect for the game I pursue. It has given me the knowledge that I have gained from experience in the 59yrs I've been hunting. Whether it's spot and stalk, hunting 20ft in the air from a loc-on treestand 12 -14 hrs or from a box blind. My son told me the other day that I was getting to old to be climbing up in a tree stand. My reply was not if I can still get up there. You can learn alot from the game you pursue.

Attachments

• 20231202_065911.jpg
    20231202_065911.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 46
The first is animals and nature
The second is humans in a contrived setting
Patience does not always translate between the two
A brilliant, good friend who managed an IT staff of 30 at a company where common sense did not exist once quipped, "I wish there was a zombie apocalypse so I could shoot people in the face with my shotgun." He is one of the most chill, patient men I have known.
I worked there too, leading a smaller group.
We roared with laughter because it was true.
I have found that my children learned me the most patience, and those lessons apply both in nature and work.

Hunting has taught me many of the lessons mentioned above some.very pointed examples that I have to agree with:
1. The woods (outdoors) is my cathedral- you would think that sitting for hours in a stand or on a bucket ice fishing and being alone with your thoughts would drive a person crazy- for me it is the ultimate 'centering time' re-center on all that is right and good.
2. Poor prep equals poor performance- pretty much says it all.
Plus a couple other lessons:
1. Being decisive- before you step foot into the woods, decide what you are going to harvest (min size / quality) and when that opportunity presents, seize the opportunity. Then celebrate the success, be it a plump squirrel, or a 350 inch bull elk. We have also learned as a buddy group to make it known to our forces and hunting parnters what we are after before we go.in the woods. Then we celebrate each other's opportunities that were seized!
2. 80% of hunting, as in life is showing up. You gotta be there, whether it is for yourself or for someone else. It's hard to put on the effort some days, but it almost always means the most when you do.
3. Not sure how to summarize it, but I've learned.over the years that the minute you step.in the woods you are essentially hunting, amd the animals don't follow any sort of script. I've had deer walk right in on me when I was climbing up a tree, or getting settled in. I've fallen asleep in the stand and found out various ways that I slept through my opportunity. I've also waited to chber a round when I first get in the stand, and then when Mr. Big walks in, youve got all that noise amd fumbling around has to happen instead of jist safety off and bang..You have to be prepared from the minute you step foor in the woods. Your chance may come when you least expect it, amd without any warning. Success often depends on your readiness and decisiveness in that moment.
4. Lastly, if you spend the extra effort bringing yourself back to civilization instead of 'bringing the outdoor experience into the home', your significant other may appreciate your hunting habit more. Examples:
*Bring the animal home in a cooler, not a bloody mess in the bed of your truck.
*Be sure the last thing you do before leaving camp is a shower and a shave.
*. Butcher somewhere other than the kitchen counter.
*. Make extra effort for the field harvested meats to be prepared in an extraordinary fashion, even though backstraps fried in a pan, and eaten with just your bare fingers is awesome, this is a little too 'caveman' for some.

These are not rules, just suggestions and things I've learned about our household dynamic.

I could go on all day about the things hunting and the preparation therefore have taught me, this is just a sampling.
Amen Brother.

I have been an avid deer hunter since the age of 14(1965), shooting my first whitetail, still hunted with a Bear recurve at 16 years old. I was thoroughly captivated early on by the writings of Fred Bear and Saxon Pope. I have had good success deer hunting with all forms of firearms and archery equipment, and using the various methods(still hunting, stand, and driven)…
What did I learn early on from deer hunting…Knowledge is useless without the ability to apply it.

When I was young country to hunt was basically unlimited around here. We literally had more land to hunt than was possible to hunt, so we would still hunt through an area generally once and then move on to the next pasture. This is not longer a problem lol. I have seventy acres to hunt that I own. A friend invites me to his two hundred a few times a year, and I have eighty acres in Kansas with permission. Deer hunting in my latter years has taught me patience, patience, patience for which I am not a good student. When the buck you're after finally shows up it's pretty doggone exciting through.

I joke, but passing on the tradition is where my joy lives now. Having a kiddo in the blind with you and seeing the excitement in their eyes is worth every wasted dollar, every missed opportunity, every sunrise and every sunset spent chasing them.

I still get excited seeing a buck skirting the brush or treeline, chasing a doe whether he's a spike or a mature old bruiser.

Small compared to other parts of the US, but big buck for 1/2hr outside DFW.

FB_IMG_1512609588418_Original.jpeg

I like shooting does now, they eat better and we have too many. They get my heart just as excited as any cull buck

IMG_4991.jpeg