what cal for a newb

valleysnyper

Hello all, I have been lurking for awhile and am ready to jump in. I am looking for a rifle and cartridge for what I consider long range, most probably wont though. I am used to shooting out to about 300yds, and all the ranges around my state of Wisconsin usually only allow shooting too 400 to 500 yds, so looking for a round good for target and whitetails to about 600yds. A little background on my experience, I have killed whitetails at a t little over 300 yds, have shot or currently shoot a 264 win mag, 300 wsm ,300win mag, 260 rem. 257 weatherby and a 338 lapua. I have looked at a Sako A7 long range hunter in 308 and 7mm mag. And a few models of Savage. I am not new to shooting, but at longer ranges I am. So the question is, can anyone recommend a rifle and caliber for me to think about ? There seems to be way to many to decide on, 308, 7mm, even a 6.5x 284, I do not reload right now, but I am slowly accumulating equipment to do so...Thanks in advance for any help...Gary

If those are the calibers you own, then start with one of those. If 600 yards is going to be the max range and only for target and whitetail, then the 260 is a great choice.

I would invest my money at this point on reloading equipment which is where you will initially gain accuracy for longer ranges. Then if these don't work out, then consider something else.

My .02 cents

Questions to consider: are you going to shoot high volume, or moderate practice as preparation for hunting? How heavy a rifle do you wish to carry when hunting? Since you are leaning toward reloading, you can pretty much choose anything you like caliber wise. How much recoil do you tolerate in long practice sessions?

For deer at 600 yards or less, 6.5mm or even 6mm heavy for caliber bullets will suffice, and a 140 grain vld @ 2950-3000 fps (6.5/284 perhaps) would be great. If you want more smack, a 7mm 168 or 180 @2900-3000 will knock anything into its own shadow. If you are going for the higher energy levels, don't make the gun too light, or you won't shoot it enough to be really confident of placement. I have a 12 pound 280 Ackley throwing 168s @ 3015 fps with a brake that is very pleasant to shoot, and not burdensome to carry in the hills, but I wouldn't shy away from a 600 yarder at a deer with my 6.5 creedmoor either, and it weighs 10.5. My next DIY build is going to be 260Rem, and that would also fit nicely into your scenario. All those magnums you have on your list may have shorter barrel life than you will like if you shoot a lot, so you also want to weigh that issue. Don't neglect a stock that fits you well, as you'll spend a lot of time behind it.

LOL.... With a name like that - I should be asking you. :D

On a serious note: I always look at what is available and what your application will be. Availability is primary for any weapons system. IMO

Example: I LOVE the 300 Morma Mag. The cartridge is just amazing IMO- very effecient.... but I shoot 300 Win Mag bc it is very availible and even more affordable.
I can buy $23 a box or $85 a box.
I have NEVER even seen a box of 300 MN in a retail store. I am kinda a dooms-day-r
so availability weighs a lot in my book. On a calm nice day I can hit my 20 x 40 in . target at and past 1500 yds very consistently. I would never take a shot at game that far but my point is that the 300 WM just gets it done even though there are several design flaws - belted cartridge, short neck and etc.....but I can find it at Wal-Mart and I have used it on larger game with devastating effect.
So shoot a 300 wm. I just works for me. Find out what works for you.
Good luck

Guys, Thanks for the advice, and as always I left something out to the equation. I would like to get rid of the Lapua since I have nowhere to really stretch out and shoot it.....I think I was having a midlife crisis when I bought it.... and I would like to get another gun in a caliber I don't aleady have. I just got done building the 260 Rem on a savage action with new stock, shilen barrel and trigger job. My son who has just started hunting has commandeered that one, so I feel like I deserve a new toy. I will hunt exclusively from a shooting house and the walk is only about 500 yds so weight isn't to much of a factor. As far as shooting practice I probably will shoot about maybe 80 rds a week, sometimes more or less depending on the weather, thanks again Gary

Guys, Thanks for the advice, and as always I left something out to the equation. I would like to get rid of the Lapua since I have nowhere to really stretch out and shoot it.....I think I was having a midlife crisis when I bought it.... and I would like to get another gun in a caliber I don't aleady have. I just got done building the 260 Rem on a savage action with new stock, shilen barrel and trigger job. My son who has just started hunting has commandeered that one, so I feel like I deserve a new toy. I will hunt exclusively from a shooting house and the walk is only about 500 yds so weight isn't to much of a factor. As far as shooting practice I probably will shoot about maybe 80 rds a week, sometimes more or less depending on the weather, thanks again Gary

Shot my brothers 6.5. CM today and I love it. Half the recoil of the .308 and even a lil more range.

If I were to build a rifle for the purpose that you are looking for, I would go with a 6.5 of some sort. I have to agree that the .260 seems to fit your bill. But since you want a different cal. I would go with 6.5x55 swede built on a modern action. Easy to reload for. Very light recoil. Plenty of downrange energy to kill deer at 600. Only downfall for this caliber is if you don't reload, factory ammo is not loaded to the rounds potential.

so looking for a round good for target and whitetails to about 600yds. A little background on my experience, I have killed whitetails at a t little over 300 yds, have shot or currently shoot a 264 win mag, 300 wsm ,300win mag, 260 rem. 257 weatherby and a 338 lapua.

Hey Gary, in all honesty... every cartridge you mentioned will do the task you are after.

If it were me I would hunt with one of the magnums that I already own and put the money towards reloading equipment.

But alas, I understand it can be exciting to think about getting a new rifle. It looks like you already have plenty of hunting rifles. Since you mentioned target shooting also; check out Savage's line of target rifles. I've heard these are ridiculously accurate right out of the box. Sometimes even like under .2 inch groups.

F Class Target
Savage Arms

Benchrest
Savage Arms

F/TR Target
Savage Arms

Valley- you are in wisconsin. lot of big whitetails and lot of bear. also krieger barrels. envious. you already have some great calibers for long range. my brothers .264 win mag sendero , krieger barrel is awesome. i have two 6.5-284 . one is a sendero weight, the other is heavy for competition. weight helps. great barrels help. for me the caliber is not as great of importance . example- i would think there would little difference in the 264 and 257 wby. just me. roninflag

One option that might scratch the itch of a new gun is to spruce up one of the ones you have if they are factory guns...nice barrel, stock, accurize action, etc.

Just a thought...

...I probably will shoot about maybe 80 rds a week, sometimes more or less depending on the weather, thanks again Gary
Taking the 80 rounds into account, 308 will do you very well.

With that kind of through put, the "faster" rounds may eat up a barrel faster than you want. The 308 will endure much more rounds.

Of course, barrels are a consumable so if your plans include the replacement cycle then IIWM get a 7mm/.284 of some sort. There's only a gazillion to choose from. 7-08 to 7RUM. Seriously a 7-08 or 7RM.

Good to ask for advice but get what you want and if that means something you ain't got, good on you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.