What Gun an cal??

Gurn

I was thinking about picking up another Savage mainly for target shooting but hope to get out west some day for some long range deer. Long to me is 300yds but would really like to learn to shoot a little farther. What model and what cal would you chose out of the Savage line? I now own a 270WSM Weather Warrior 16 SS. Thanks

Are you wanting a light gun or a heavy gun? Are you wanting it to shoot fast, flat and hit as hard as possible?

If you like Savages (I do too) I would recommend the model LRPV chambered in 22-250 Remington, and make sure it has a 1:9-inch twist for the 68-69 grain bullets. It will reach out and get 'em at long distances. My [FONT=&quot]Savage LRPV shooting a Sierra 69 grain Match bullet seated on the lands is averaging 1.287-inch groups at 300 yards.

Cheers, Glenn[/FONT]

I was thinking about picking up another Savage mainly for target shooting but hope to get out west some day for some long range deer. Long to me is 300yds but would really like to learn to shoot a little farther. What model and what cal would you chose out of the Savage line? I now own a 270WSM Weather Warrior 16 SS. Thanks

7mm-08. Would work great for hunting out to 300 yards and target shooting easily out to 1000 yards. Has great ballistics without beating up your shoulder.

Your 270wsm will do everything you want it to.

If you're just looking for a new gun the 6.5's are nice.. CM or x284

Does that mean there is no reason to have another rifle?

Nope, no reason at all. Every safe should have one rifle and one rifle only. I don't care if your safe is made for 50 guns, you only need one. Just one and only one EVER. ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE one

Nope, no reason at all. Every safe should have one rifle and one rifle only. I don't care if your safe is made for 50 guns, you only need one. Just one and only one EVER. ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE one

I agree..ONE in this slot, ONE in that slot, ONE in...:D

Don't wish to steal the thread but someone mentioned the 7mm-08. It's a great caliber. I have a friend who routinely shoots elk with hers. I have always wondered why no one, not even Savage, makes a heavy barrel rifle (not even a Varmint) in this caliber.

Gurn

You sort of ruined the fun by buying one of the better all around rifles in your 270 WSM. As was said it will do it all. You don't need another rifle for big game. However since you mentioned targets and getting better at shooting I suggest you look at the Savage Model 12 LPV in fast twist 223 Rem. They shoot lights out for cheap and barrel life is really good. You could get a ton of practice with the 223 and when it comes time to fill a tag, drag out the 270 WSM

I agree..ONE in this slot, ONE in that slot, ONE in...:D

Don't wish to steal the thread but someone mentioned the 7mm-08. It's a great caliber. I have a friend who routinely shoots elk with hers. I have always wondered why no one, not even Savage, makes a heavy barrel rifle (not even a Varmint) in this caliber.

I'd agree but disagree on the 7-08. Here is why.. If you're deer hunting or shooting factory ammo the majority of it is 140gr bullets, why not just push the 6.5cm w/ 140gr pills and have better overall performance. But what about elk you'd say, well I've found little information regarding the 7-08 pushing heavies. A lot of people claim the performance drops off fast. So I like the 308 (and up) for elk. NOW, rewind overall the 7-08 is an excellent choice if you do not plan on stretching out your elk shots.

I recently picked up some 175 LRAB and I plan on seeing how well the 708 pushes them. I have had some elk luck w/ this 7-08. One cow was shot at about 150yds w/ 140gr Fed premium barnes and a small bull was taken at 200yds w/ 150gr barnes. I wouldn't shoot at an elk over 3-350yds w/ that load (150gr).

See I'm new at this shootin a long ways stuff and just ran out and bought the 270 WSM. Then started reading folks kinda doggin it for long range target shooting. Seems like it kinda aint in vogue for say like a F Class shooter. One question though and it aint posta be sarcastic I just really wanna know. One reason was they said there aint many good bullets for the 270 compared to something like a 6.5X284. Then I got to thinkin could it be kinda like human nature. Say like I use ta fish at this river for steel head. I can say they were few and far in between. So somebody would catch one on a few certain lure. Next thing ya know everybody and his brother was down there fishin with that same lure. Some with good result some with out. Didn't matter cause every body believed in this lure so of course they fished it hard and it would produce. This might go on for years and the most fish were caught with that lure, cause every body almost were usin it. Then somebody shows up with a different lure and is just a better fishermen so he could catch more than the rest usin a different lure......next thing ya know........ the old lure aint in vogue and every bodys usin what he caught fish with. Sorry boys it might take ahwhile to get used to me. anyhow I have read all your responses and thank you for em. I'm learnin.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.