what gun what caliber?

As some of you know I am over seas now waiting to get back to the world...someday...any how here it is.
I have a long time to gather parts and have them waiting for me back in the world, so when I get back I can build more guns:)

I am looking at a longrange hunting rifle, I own many guns now, but I have sitting at home the following actions.
1. Savage LA 111 any bolt head
2. Rem 700 LA 3006 bolt face
3. FN Mauser98, bolt head cut for magnum

this gun will be for deer, elk, goat. out too 1100 meters. scope will be a xotic optics with a 20 MOA base.
barrel will be pacnor, 26-28 inch

I am thinking Caliber .
338 rum
300 rum
300 wm
338 wm

I have a 338 Lapua but ammo is so expensive....

other thoughts or ideas?

most of my long range rigs are very heavy and not good for hunting in the mountains, I can handle a 9-10 pound rig in the mountains so the HB gun is ok..

If you have a .338LM ..out of the ones you have listed I would get the 300Rum with a 1-10 twist. Other than the cost of brass...if you handload the .338LM becomes pretty resonable to shoot. Any large Cartrige your gunna have to feed it a large amount of powder.

The 300RUM case works great providing more energy then the
win bags. I suppose anything could be argued, I have had good results with the Pac/Nor barrels if I were building a rifle of the RUM size I'd go with a 30" barrel I know of several that work great.Twist rates can be decided according to bullet size . I like a bit of free bore it will
give more velocity and help with pressure.Good luck with what ever you go with, hurry home.

I currently have a 300 rum in a savage 116FSAK, I love it but I want a heavy barrel so I think I may go with the 300 Rum again but a Pacnor HB..So there is the Rem action now what to do with the Mauser FN and the Savage??
I have so many calibers but I just can't quit building...I am saving money over here.....by the way I am in the middle of donduchon Korea, in a hotel TDY using a Korean computer and internet. room is 45000 won a night( 45.00), not bad and right next to me is the bar district.....oh darn...there go's the saved money....you should see all of the bar girls and dancers shipped into this country they are Russian and phillipino..still some Koreans.

well time for pt and work to bad I am only here TDY for 3 more days and then back to the Sh*& hole I am stationed at..

Buy me a juicy? lol I am heading off to the other side of the world here shortly, next weekend. Looking forward to 122 degree days. I plan on building a few rifles when I get back also.

As you probably have found out, the majority of the shooters in theater (other than ours) are either now using or with be using the .338 Lapua. DSR (Germany) specs their barrels out with a 1:8 twist rate for RUAG's heavier 252 grain (non AP) and 260 grain (AP) bullet.

In the desert while shooting long range (well, what I consider long range ~ 1200 yards) we are mostly shooting .300 WM (210 grain Berger) and 6.5 x 284 (142 SMK). At 1200 yards, the 6.5, 142 grain bullet looks like a smaller version of the 300. Both are mushroomed and both have hit hard. The retained velocity of the 6.5 compared to the 300 are similar in retained velocity however differ in energy on target; 300 = 1476 fps with 1016 ft. lbs. of energy and the 6.5 =1375 fps with 596 ft. lbs of energy. I would recommend building either of these calibers and do so on a Remington 700 LA.

One more thing... Consider the retooling cost of the new dies, powder etc... Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.