what cal?

shuamee

lookin for another deer hunting rifle just not sure on the cal i want. i have a couple 308's and a 300rum. i want a diff cal. just not sure what. gun will most likely be a rem 700 cdl or xcr2. will be used mainly for whitetail deer. want something that shoots a long distance very flat. suggestions?

lookin for another deer hunting rifle just not sure on the cal i want. i have a couple 308's and a 300rum. i want a diff cal. just not sure what. gun will most likely be a rem 700 cdl or xcr2. will be used mainly for whitetail deer. want something that shoots a long distance very flat. suggestions?

In a Remington I would go with a model 7 CDL in .260 or .270WSM for a nice mix of what you already have.

Jon

There's a real nice .264 WM or two for sale in the classified section here.. .http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/

.260 Rem is also another great deer round that has fantastic ballistics for LR shooting.

Of course if you wanted to stay with the 30's there's the old ought six, but the two I listed above have much better ballistics overall.

Last edited:
I will nominate the 284 WIN...as usual:D
Great balistics, respectable barrel life, no break required,wicked accurate.

Can shoot 162 Amaxes 2900- 3100 fps with little effort, good components.

Ticks the unusal box too I think.

My 2c

300WSMMAD

im not much for the wsm cartrages got friens that cant reload them bc with even a factory round they r splitting the bottle neck or the tip cracks. i dont know anything about the 6.5 creedmoor or 280 AI can yall tell me anything bout them?

i would like to know more bout those two cals but really thinkin more along the lines of somethin that shoots really good that most anybody would have rounds for or when i start reloading for it the cases are not like $1 a peice. i like to shoot alot.

for those rifles I would choose a 7mm, or a .277. my list would go .280 Rem (especially if you get a CDL), then .270 win and then maybe at the back of the pack a .264 WIN. I think that if I bought a CDL I would want it in a classic, cheap to shoot cartrige.

280AI shells are a dime a dozen when you consider you can use 30-06, 270, and 25-05 brass and just run them thru a 280 rem die and reload 280 remington then fireform to 280AI. You get close to 7mm magnum ballistics without the belted magnum recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.