What Gun an cal??

I'd agree but disagree on the 7-08. Here is why.. If you're deer hunting or shooting factory ammo the majority of it is 140gr bullets, why not just push the 6.5cm w/ 140gr pills and have better overall performance. But what about elk you'd say, well I've found little information regarding the 7-08 pushing heavies. A lot of people claim the performance drops off fast. So I like the 308 (and up) for elk. NOW, rewind overall the 7-08 is an excellent choice if you do not plan on stretching out your elk shots.

I recently picked up some 175 LRAB and I plan on seeing how well the 708 pushes them. I have had some elk luck w/ this 7-08. One cow was shot at about 150yds w/ 140gr Fed premium barnes and a small bull was taken at 200yds w/ 150gr barnes. I wouldn't shoot at an elk over 3-350yds w/ that load (150gr).

Ohiohunter. Puttin that Barnes on top of that powder turns something kinda good for a tough job to something real good for it. I had great luck with a 168TSX out of a 300 WSM. Hit it in the left front shoulder and found in under the skin on the right rear quarter. Went clean through the cow and both quarters. I guess I don't gotta add there wasn't any tracking job needed.

Ohiohunter. Puttin that Barnes on top of that powder turns something kinda good for a tough job to something real good for it. I had great luck with a 168TSX out of a 300 WSM. Hit it in the left front shoulder and found in under the skin on the right rear quarter. Went clean through the cow and both quarters. I guess I don't gotta add there wasn't any tracking job needed.

The cow was on a steep ridge and basically flopped over the other side, pass through mid body right behind the shoulder. The bull literally took 1 or 2 steps and was in shock, he locked up and fell over, he was center punched. I didn't gut him but I'm sure his heart was obliterated. Gutless method and rain made for haste. EDIT.. the best part of these 2 successful hunts was it was both hunters first animals ever, actually their first hunt ever. I was more enthralled than they were.

DO you reload for your WSM? Bullet selection for the 270 has always suffered but they are coming around slowly. With some recent additions the 270 may come a live and w/ a vengeance as it may be the pinnacle being between the 6.5 great ballistics and the 7 great sectional density.

Don't worry about others opinions as long as you are confident in your abilities w/ your rifle nothing else matters. What works in F-class doesn't work in the field, 2 totally different sports, might as well play pingpong w/ a cue ball. Many people have their reasoning for one caliber or the other and a lot of those reasons are valid for that person, but maybe not valid for you.

What you said about the 270 bein between the 6.5 and the 7 is the same thing I was thinkin. My son started going out west for deer I was hoping one of his group might miss one year and I might get ta go. So hes tellin me about shootin deer at 300+. With what I'm used to that might as well been a mile. I start reading about these F class shooters using the same cal my boy has and some 7mm was good for long range shooting. Like you said the 270 sets right in that bunch. That where I got my thinkin as far as buying the WSM. I do reload but haven't even got the barrel seasoned yet.
Went to the range the other day spent so much time helping others that I only got 7 shots and cleanings done before it was time to go. This weekend I hope to at least finish that. Want ta see if this gun will shoot before I spend money on a scope. If it don't soot it's up for sale. HA! You know what they say "the only interesting gun is a accurate one."

What is your wsm and what scope is currently on it?

I understand waiting for a particular scope to show up at your price point, I however don't understand skimping on a decent scope unless your gun shoots well?? If everything is mechanically sound on your rifle PLUS you properly work up a load I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get decent accuracy. Heck you may find out the weak link is a cheap scope and you've wasted time money and effort.

I don't think anything hurts more than revisiting loads that you've already X'd out due to user error or cheap parts you've already intended on replacing... maybe thats just me but its enough to make me spit and kick my self in the pants.

Right now I took the 3x9 Burris off my slug gun just to try out the gun. This scope has always held zero for me. I have been burnt before on guns that just would not shoot no matter what load. One, a 338 BAR and two, a 308 Kimber both new guns. So for now the 270WSM gets the 3x9. if shes a shooter I'll try and get something up to 16 or 18 power. BTW yes I have been burnt by cheap scopes before to. Nothing more fustrating than that.

What makes you think the 27wsm won't shoot? What kind is it?

Personally I don't think I'd mess w/ a gun unless I thought it could be a "shooter".

O I think it will shoot just waiting to find out. It's a Savage Weather Warrior. Going out sat to finish breaking the barrel in. I bought guns before that didnt shoot worth ah hoot. They were good brands but just wasnt made right. Mass production things, cars, guns, scopes, bullets or whatever have bad ones. You just dont know till ya try it out.

Gurn- I started out on here about a year ago following posts, gleaning information before deciding on what I wanted to do. I think what you will find on most of the "Long Range Beginner" threads and posts will follow the same tune. Most modern rifles and calibers can meet the expectations that you laid out in your initial post, to include your .270wsm. But I agree it is fun to start on a new gun or a more focused build to specialize. Round selection is very important, as is the rifle but you make your money with the rifle scope and if you are hand loading.

My rookie recipe was as follows:
Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284 (There is a wealth of info on reloading the 6.5x284)
DNZ one piece 30mm rings
Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP Scope

I broke the rifle in with two boxes of Nosler 129gr LRABs and kept the brass.

I spent $75 on a basic chronograph and book two reloading books that I read from cover to cover. I bought a Hornady Classic Kit and a few extra parts recommended by my gun store.

I spent time tweaking my loads over the summer and I killed my first AZ Coues deer at 348m.

Enjoy the site and the knowledge and let us know what you settle on!

Thanks Duckhunter. The more I think the more I'm leaning toward setting this 270 for long range hunting and buying just a flat out target rifle that would be too heavy ta pack around huntin, just having fun shooting paper off sand bags. My son has a Cooper 6.5 like yours so I might look into that cal just because we can use the same dies, bullets, powder and stuff. He has a VX 6 I think it goes up to 16 power scope that he aint usin right now so it might be on loan on the 270 till I decide,and can afford what kinda glass I wanna buy. His Cooper shoots 140 Berger's with H4831 at around 2800 real good. Then again for what them Coopers cost they better shoot Purdy good. We gotta get somewhere where we can shoot far enough to test out the Burris Eliminator he has on the top ah that thing. I really wish they made this one in 6.5x284.

Savage Arms

BTW what area of Good old Kanntucky are ya from?

I'm up in Louisville, Lou-A-ville, Louha-vul, or however they want to say it here.

I know they are making those Model 12s in 6.5x284 but I think it might be their 'F Class' derivative or something similar. Definitely sweet shooting rig!

Good idea on keeping the rounds the same between rifles, I'm a fan of having interoperability and keeping things simple. I have been using RL19 and getting 2950 from my 140gr Amax.

Good luck with the builds!

Savage 111 Long Range Hunter comes in 6.5x284. The Predator Hunter Max 1 used to come in 6.5x284. I bought one in 260 rem and absolutely love it.

Thanks all my kin are from SE KY. Down around Hazard. Can I take ah crack at it..Luahvul...Ha!
2950 sounds good. How many inch barrel?

Like the guy Johnny mentioned they have the Savage 111 LRH which is what I mentioned in my first post--- great gun, 26" barrel.

Best of luck to ya!

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5-284. Love it. Incredibly accurate. Right now the 140 Nosler BT is my most accurate load but I've got some of the 143 ELD-X that I'm getting ready to try. Here's a 3 shot group with it. ( there may be some 243 bullet holes in the pic but the hole in center is the group)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.