What a joke....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm.

Sure enough, as of 10 years ago, they started replacing Ball ammo with a HEAVIER HIGHER BC projectile. Most of the range testing that was discussed was certainly based on the ball and FMJ ammo. I'd imagine that the replacement of ball ammo was not for ALL combatants (was it?) or specifically for long range type applications?

Interesting that they haven't decided to change to a short, low BC projectile driven faster.

Kirby needs to be carerul posting his hot loads for the AM's. They might be used by some poor soul in his factory rifle. WAIT, there are no AM factory chamberings??? Good thing he didn't post any hot 300WSM loads, now that would have been REALLY irresponsible. ;-)

BH,

Again, my friend, your lack of focus is amazing. You take my comments which are directed toward very specific and speicalized situations and try to compare them to the entire spectrum of shooting which is insane at best.
Again, your own words prove my point, you shoot a 186 gr bullet, care to offer us the BC information about that bullet please? is it higher then .336?
You say that the 1000 yard BR game is not a sport where you need extreme BC to be successful. THey why don't you use the 125 gr BT. Let me answer for you, because they are not consistant enough,HMM.

Lets see, consistant enough to hit small varmints at 1000 yards but not consistant enough to compete in BR where a 1/2 moa group would win most days...... Comflicting statements?

Also, thank you for telling us that the bullet used to win the HR and long range 1000 yard BR this year was the highest BC 30 cal bullet made by Berger.

Your comments about military bullets are also very interesting. A ball is a ball, weither it is lead core or mild steel core, its still a FMJ, am I wrong on that?

I would really need to see legit proof of your examples about bullets traveling that far back toward the shooter to believe it. Stands to spit in the face of physics to be honest. Now if these were steel cored bullets fired at steel targets, maybe.....

Onto Sierra and Berger. You are correct, my comments ment that every bullet made by these two makers were high BC bullets. Again, focus fella.

My comments were simply that Sierra and Berger were making the long range SMK and VLD bullets long before I ever started into long range shooting. They are not in my cult, if they were we would have 380 gr 375 bullets right now!

THe reason there are the long range SMK and the Berger VLD bullets and the Cat bullets and the Wildcat ULD RBBTs are because of market drive, that is what works, that is what shoots want because that is what works the best. Again, I am flattered by the credit you give me but again, your WRONG. Hell, even the military knows that, thats why they are now using some of the 175 gr SMK in their long range 7.62 cartridges, thanks again for your example that proves my point better then your arguing point by the way:D.

With these very long, high BC bullets, we can use large cased wildcat rounds, so that we can get velocity up to good levels. My AM designs were designed to offer the highest level of performance at long range and work in a 3200 to 3300 fps velocity window. EVERY ONE OF THEM DOES THAT except the 338 AM which will drive things faster even still. They do not achieve these velocity goals because I took a marginally sized case and red lined it to meet my goals. I took an case that was larger then really needed so I could load then to modern top end chamber pressures with good case life. AGAIN, EVERY ONE OF THEM DO THIS EASILY.

I like this comment from you as well.

As for the cult, quite simple, has to do with the blind allegience to the leader who preaches one gospel (according to him) and no one is allowed to stray from that gospel. Nothing personal, just the way you present the info that the absolute only bullet is the high BC and heavy bullet.

Lets see, the entire debate started from someone saying that they were using a 300 WSM loaded with a 125 gr BT to 4000 fps. When it was suggested that a higher BC bullet would offer more ballistic performance down range, all hell broke loose, who is the cult leader in this case???

With my 270 Allen Magnums, I offer load data for all bullets from 130 gr Ballistic Tip(Which by the way would make the 300 WSM/125 gr BT load look like a dead cat ballistically!!!), to the 140 gr BT, 140 gr Accubond and up to the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT and 195 gr ULD RBBT. I do not tell my customers what to use.

In the 7mm AM, I offer load data for all bullets from the 120 gr Ballistic Tip, to the 140 gr Accubonds, to the 160 gr Accubonds, to the 175 gr SMK to the 180 gr Bergers to the 200 gr ULD RBBTs. Again, I do not tell my customers what to use, AGAIN.

In my 338 AM, I recommend the 300 gr SMK. Why not the 225 gr Accubond, because it is not heavy enough to provide the resistance needed to get consistant ignition and powder burns for consistant velocity in a chambering that has 150 grain powder charges. Do you have experience with 338 cal rounds with 150 gr powder charges? Oh, so again, your unqualified to make comments like you are about what I recommend to my customers and why I recommend what I do to my customers, right!!!

All of my customers, ask me what I use. I tell them what I have tested, I give them the results for my testing, freely, as I will anyone that asks, even those that like to hammer me. I let my customers see what works best from actual testing and comparision with other chambering, bullets and loads, and they they make up their own minds because my customers are some of the most educated, most experienced and most dedicated long range hunters in the world and they want the very best in equipment and also equipment that will give them that extra edge of performance in the field when not all conditions are know.

You insult my customers when you call them blind fallowers and it only goes to show your total ignorance in its blinding glory.

If I was using velocity as a saled ploy, why would I not advertise the 257 Allen Magnum as a 4100 fps chambering with a 100 gr TSX bullet?

Why would I not advertise the 6.5mm Allen Magnum as a 4200 fps chambering with a 100 gr Ballistic Tip?

Why would I not advertise the 270 Allen Magnum as a 3900 fps chambering with a 130 gr Ballistic tip?

Why would I not advertise the 7mm AM as a 4000 fps round with a 120 gr Ballistic Tip?

Why would I not advertise the 300 AX as a 4000 fps round with a 125 gr Ballistic Tip(that by the way is realistic pressure to capacity ratio).

Why would I not advertise the 338 AX as a 3800 fps round with the 160 gr Barnes X?

Why would I not recommend the 338 AM as a 3900 fps round with a 200 gr Ballistic Tip?

WHY, because I have tested every one of these loads. In everything but the 338 AM, the loads are very accurate out of my rifles out to 500 yards and beyond. In every case with the loads above, they all printed at or under 1/2 moa average.

WHY DO I recommend the following:

257 AM with 156 gr ULD RBBT at 3300 fps

6.5mm AM with 168 gr ULD RBBT at 3200 fps

270 AM with 169.5 gr ULDL RBBT at 3300 fps

7mm AM with 200 gr ULD RBBT at 3300 fps

300 AX with 240 gr SMK at 3200 fps

338 AX with 300 gr SMK at 2950 fps

338 AM with 300 gr SMK at 3350 fps

The reason why, because in every case, while the lighter bullets shot extremely well, easily meeting my accuracy requirements, these moderate velocity loads Shot DRAMATICALLY Better at long range, When I tested them head to head, these loads averaged measureably smaller groups then the light hyper velocity bullets. In many cases, 1/4 to 1/5 moa groups were not uncommon. Yes, that means around 1" groups at 500 yards. That is not the norm but it happens enough for it not to suprise me all that much anymore.

I give my customers this data, for all loads and bullets, they run all the numbers, generally for months before ordering rifles and prove to themselves on paper and research first what "SHOULD" work best for them for what they want to do.

I do not build rifles to suit my needs, I build rifles to suit my customers.

Your comments are totally insulting to me and my customers and your personal attachs simply show you have nothing solid to base your argument on any more.

Funny thing about my AMs. They have some extreme performance, they have some faults but they are what they are and they do what they are said to do. That is why my list of customers just keeps going.

I do not and have never hyped the AM chamberings. If anything I am overly conservative with my predictions and actual load development. I simply came onto LRH and told guys what I wanted to do with my wildcats. Many had similiar interests and instead of spending their own money on reamers, dies and research, they ordered rifles from me that did what they wanted.

There has been a huge group of shooters posting results on their AMs as well as other chamberings inrifles I have built for them.

THIS IS LONG RANGE HUNTING, my Allen Magnums are LONG RANGE HUNTING WILDCATS. Would you rather I go over to 24 hour camp fire and talk about them???? How about I head over to snipers hide and chat to the 223 and 308 boys about my 338 AM that burns 150 grains of powder and gets 3400 fps with a 300 gr SMK.

YOu go where like mined folks what to hear about your ideas, nothing more and nothing less...

All I do is offer data, solid data mind you. I say that because my customers are posting the same results or better results then I am. Your ignorance about me and my attitude toward anyone with differning opinions then mine are simply unfounded in all ways.

I answer any question posted on LRH that I have experience with. If I do not have experience with a question, I DO NOT POST. I have been posting on LRH since long before I started my company and was well estabilished before my first rifle was sent out the door.

When I see someone that is about to do something that I know can be done better a different way and that person asks for opinions, I offer my opinion, and so did dozens of other experienced shooters and hunters.

Just because you think you can bully your opinion into being factually correct it not the case. I know what I know, I know my arguement is factually based and solid and I will not back down from that because the numbers prove me right EVERY TIME.

Can WIldcat do what he wants, thank god yes, hope he does. In the original post on this topic, he wanted opinions, he got them, overwhelmingly against this idea as there were much better ways to get what he wanted to accomplish. He seemingly changed his mind and then comed back on here screaming and hollering that I am a hyprocrit because I disagree with him. Then you jump in and personally attach me and more importantly my customers with comments that you have no idea at all what your talking about.

We all offered solid factual real world experience to try to help Wildcat make the best decision to accomplish his stated goals. He did not listen to us and went another direction, thats fine. Get the rifle made, have the stones to post your results.

If he posts tight groups at 1000 yards with his new rifle with 4000 fps measured velocities, how can anyone disagree with that. We cant and no one will. But to ask for our opinion and then get personal is what I will not stand for.

This is not my web sight, it is Lens. PERIOD. I get sick of those of you that say its the Kirby Allen Web page. That is again an insult to the thousands of shooters that post information and offer advice on LRH. YOu insult us all everytime you make that idiotic comment.

If I were talking about my 300 Varminter, doing 4000 fps with a 125 gr BT would you be so ****ed. NOPE, because you would be telling me that a higher BC bullet would offer me more performance down range in unknown conditions. YOu have a chip on your shoulder about me, my company, my wildcats and my customers for some reason. I would really like to know what your issues with me are honestly????

As far as having a beer with you, hell from the posts you have written, I would see no reason to get within a state of you. Seems you have some pent up rage issues and you would like to unleash them.

I do not understand why an educated debate has turned so personal against me and my customers. Bring it on toward me, I will stand behind anything I have said, written or typed but leave my customers out of it please. If I make a mistake, I will own up to that instantly and have on this board.

But I am also going to talk about my successes as well. If There were only one 270 AM, or 7mm AM or 338 AM on the planet and they were in my gun safe, you would not squeak a word like you have been, but because others see value in them as well and want them, that seems to rub you the wrong way.

I repeat my original point on the topic, it is easier to hit small targets at 1000 yards in unknown down range conditions with a high BC bullet then with a hyper velocity low BC bullet.

YOu have yet to offer anything to prove that comment wrong.

Kirby Allen(50)

WHy don't you post the comment about my blind customers over on the Allen Magnum shooters group post and see how they like being called mindless blind followers........

You really suprised me BH, I thought I knew you better, I guess I can at least say not I really do know you.

Wildcat,

I do not make it sounds like you shoot any type of bullet. I could care less to be honest. I have no aggenda to make you look bad. When you originally posted asking for opinions on this combo, you got them, form ALOT OF US, all the same opinion, there are better ways to get done what you want to do.

YOu seemed to agree at that point. YOu even commented that "you were glad you were set straight!!!!!"

Then this comes up and gee wizz, you did not change your mind.

My original stand is the exact same one then and now, I have not changed because the numbers have not changed, but your mind changed with whatever direction the wind is blowing and now you've started insulting my customers intellegence as well as me personally.

You have done nothing to prove your character my friend. You ask for advice, you seemingly accept it and then turn around and attach those that freely offered that advice. Good character, what are we supposed to think?

Your ignorance is on full display again only proving how narrow minded your reading of my posts are and how selective you are. For those that want to reach out to 600 yards or less, I will seldom recommend a ULDL RBBT or VLD in my AMs, why, because they will destroy them with the velocity potential they have at those close ranges.

I often recommend the Accubonds, in fact I have made dozens of comments onLRH that I feel the Accubond is the very best commerical big game hunting bullet made today. Open your eyes and read what I have typed, not what you want to read and then cherry pick to try to make a point.

You have continued to say shallow comments thinking it makes you look like the victim here all the time trying to stick a knife in my customers and my backs while doing it. In my neck of the woods, thats called two faced and does not get any respect at all. That is what your seeing now from your comments and actions. They are so transparent its pitiful, thats why everyone is seeing you for who you are.

This is not the Kirby Allen Web sight and saying so insult the thousands of shooters and hunters that are members and come here to freely offer any information they can or ask questions freely. I answer any posted question I have expeirence with because that is what helped me learn along the way, I am greatfull for that and that is why I offer any information I have freely and often in pain stakingly detailed replies.

You know that more then anyone as I have spent HOURS replying to your posts and personal e-mails for months on end and did so for no other reason then the question was asked. You want to call into question my character, thats fine, you know how I treated you and took the time with you dozens of times. Thats pretty bad character isn't it?

No it does not make me happy that you will not be on this site any more but I am sure that is not the case anyway. YOu will be back. We will see how true you are to your word, again, a character issue..... There is no reason for anyone to get as personal as you have in these debates. You simply can not argue against solid factual numbers with opinions. That is your problem. YOu want to prove your idea the best way out there, it is not, and can not be proven that it is no matter how you spin things.

Are we saying not to build your 300 WSM, HELL NO, no one has, build it, report on it, share in the wealth of knowledge on LRH so others can learn from your experience. Don't get questioned and then leave because of some weak excuse that the sight has been taken over by me. Weak, very weak...

I will take comments from one sniveling kid anyday for the thousands of thank yous I get every year from helping new shooters.

Anyway, later. But I bet we will see your callsign post again before to long....

Kirby Allen(50)

LewisH,

First off, thank you for your wishes for my daughter. We greatly appreicate them. That is what makes LRH such a special place, its much more like a family then any other chat room I have ever been on.

I get excited every day to get onto LRH and see what everyone is doing with new ideas and to read about tests they have done and successes and failures they have experienced.

This time of year is especially exciting because all of the big game hunting stories will start rolling in. We have already had some great ones this year.

When I go hunting and am successful or I go out and do some load testing with a new bullet or wildcat, I can hardly wait to get back and report on the findings. WHen something does not go right, I also am in a rush to talk about it so others do not waste their time.

This is the point Wildcat seems to be missing. Not that I think he is wasting his time, but he originally listed some goals he wanted for this rifle project, he got alot of advice, nearly all reommending going away from the 300 WSM.

But for some reason, I am the problem here.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

WAIT ONE MINUTE!!!

BH, when ss7mm posted his results on his quickload program, you quickly dismissed them saying that the program was not a reliable prediction of chamber pressure as you could not enter the specs needed for accurate pressure predictions. Was that not your comment?

Now that you can spin the pressure closer in favor of your arguement, it is suddenly a reliable source of chamber pressure prediction. IS that what you are telling us now?

Nice....

Kirby Allen(50)

To all,

This post has taken so many tracts away from the actual topic at hand its hard to remember what it was about in the first place.

Oh, here was the comment:

Read the article about Franklin's 4000 fps varminter. Make sure you look really close @ the target!!! Are you freakin' kidding me!!!!! Sorry Jason, but this doesn't do much for the credability of your website. I don't know Richard but salesmanship like that would prompt me to keep one hand on my wallet when he was around.

"Read the article about Franklin's 4000 fps varminter. Make sure you look really close @ the target!!! Are you freakin' kidding me!!!!! Sorry Jason, but this doesn't do much for the credability of your website. I don't know Richard but salesmanship like that would prompt me to keep one hand on my wallet when he was around.

The 300 Varminter is built around the 300 WSM case. In good custom actions such as the BAT or Nesika this round will deliver 4000+ FPS with the 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips and a bit more with the 110gr Hornady V-Max. Remington-action rifles will handle velocities up to around 3800 to 3900 FPS with these bullets."

The main comment that was referred to as a "JOKE" was that 0.162" at 100 yards equals 1.620" at 1000 yards. There is not a person on the planet that has any education about long range hunting that would say this is a legit comment to make or has any trueth at all to it.

Since that time the topic has been taken personal by Wildcat and Bountyhunter to attach me and my customers which I am not done with.

My only points through this entire debate were the following:

1. In my opinion, it is irresponsible to say a 300 WSM custom rifle will produce 4000 fps with a 125 gr BT when there are so many factory rifles out there in uneducaters shooters hands that would not be safe with these loads.

2. It is a fact that hitting small targets at 1000 yards is much easier to do in unknown down range conditions with a higher BC bullet at moderate velocities then with a low BC bullet driven to hyper velocities.

I posted solid numbers to back up my #2 comment. #1 is just my professional opinion, take if for what you will. but #2 can be proven time and again and many examples were listed doing just that and showing that the performance down range of the 300 WSM loaded to 4000 fps with the 125 gr BT can be matched or exceeded EASILY with smaller conventional chamberings with higher BC bullets at moderate velocity.

When I posted these FACTS, Wildcat and BH started getting personal, saying I was nothing less then Jim Jones himself and that all my customers were blind, uneducated cult members doing only what they were told to do.

Why these two went to these personal lengths is a mystery. Maybe they are tied pretty close to the 300 WSM project and do not want it shown that its performance is easily matched by much smaller rounds with less fuss.

Anyway, I am done with this. I am taking my little 10 month old girl into the DR now for a check up. She is doing much better by the way for those that have e-mails and asked how she was doing and wished her well. Thank you.

My time on this topic is done. We were having a decent debate until solid facts got in the way of opinion and then all hell broke loose and the personal attacks started flying.

All I want to say is I am sorry for that and sorry to Len for the comments made by these two for saying LRH is Kirby Allens web page. Simply more personal, unfounded, uneducated attacks on me, my customers and all my friends here on LRH where everyone willing to share experience and knowledge are more then welcome and it has always been that way.

To Wildcat, GOOD BYE!!!! I will believe it when I see it.

TO Bounty Hunter, I am sorry your attitude toward me is so personally aggressive. I do not know why it is but so be it. I will certainly not loose any sleep and I assure you my customers and friends you insulted will not forget your comments but they will also not loose any sleep either.

So for this post, I am done, it has gone on well past its useful debate and the two points listed above were never disproven by WIldcat or BH. Again #1 is opinion, every one has one. #2 is fact and you two can not touch that one with your arguement no matter how you spin it or try to distract everyone away from the debating points. You both are wrong on so many points its almost a shame.

Anyway, I am done, back to useful conversation that is good hearted and worth spending time on, not this crap dealing with two guys with huge chips on their shoulders.

Later, see ya in the next topics.

Kirby Allen(50)

OK, I read 7 pages of this thread, I think kirby's point about how irresposible it is to build the 300 WSM 1/10 4000 fps/125 BT was missed. what would happen if the average joe got ahold of richards data and loaded up a few rounds for his model 70 shadow, cause these loads made it a 1k varmint gun
Why would a man in the shooting industry, in todays society do that? just doesn't seem wise to me, sure we know that it the right components hafta be in place to make it even remotely possible, but is there a 29 page disclaimer attached to the loading data? why didn't he rename the cartridge? maybe change it a bit so it wouldn't chamber in a factory gun?
And I do hunt in the east, wv to be exact, and my groundhog cartridge of choice? well its a 30" barreled rem 700 chambered in 6.5 Gibbs firing a 140 gr a-max out at a meocre 3250fps from an 8 twist kreiger, Yes, BC will outrun velocity everytime, elevation is simple math, wind drift is a guessing game, so I'll take less drift even if it has more drop everytime
RR

I guess if you call spending hours answering questions and offering advice (for free) "highjacking" this site, then Kirby is guilty as charged. In my experience, most the free advice he gives (to people he likely will never meet) has nothing to do with AM rifles.

I for one am glad Kirby has "highjacked" this site if that's what you want to call it!

Thanks for all you contribute here Kirby.

Brian

I guess if you call spending hours answering questions and offering advice (for free) "highjacking" this site, then Kirby is guilty as charged. In my experience, most the free advice he gives (to people he likely will never meet) has nothing to do with AM rifles.

I for one am glad Kirby has "highjacked" this site if that's what you want to call it!

Brian
+1 on that!

Brian
+2 interesting all around...

Well I read most of this thread also. I'll admit it was informative, but also painful at times. Issues and opinions can be discussed and debated without personal attacks. We're all allowed an opinion, but I've never had much luck forcing mine down other's throats.

The primary advantage I see for Wildcat's selection is the gun will kick less with 125 rather than with 180 gr or heavier bullets. And I admit it would be fun to shoot a 4000 fps round - fun to play with that velocity before it's been lost due to the low BC bullets. It would be a kick to shoot some prarie dogs from 100 to 600 yds at those high velocities. The bullets might, and I stress might, be a little safer in the downrange direction. Shooting a bullet where it's got no business going because you hope it won't make it there is no excuse for taking an unsafe shot. Lastly, lighter bullets cost a little less than heavier ones. Shoot a lot of bullets and some people might factor this in. Sounds like Wildcat's going to own and shoot more than one rifle anyhow. It's his money and his pleasure, so have at it.

Other than those positives, I'll take the high BC bullets for anything out past 600 yds if I have a real interest in connecting in terrain and conditions that are controlled by the prey I hunt, as much as they are by me. Prarie dogs won't cause me to lose any sleep if I hit'em or miss'em. A sheep, caribou, moose, deer, bear, or elk... now I could experience some anguish knowing I'd handicapped myself with a low BC bullet should a long distance shot present itself. And I'd consider myself foolhardy if I was setting up for long range shots and loading low BC bullets. So... my opinion, Kirby nailed it on the head describing the benefits of the higher BC bullets.

Wildcat, BH, and others that have a different opinion... isn't it great to live in America. Every now and then I change my opinions. It's nice to have that option too.

Occassionally I'll offer an opinion. The accusation that Kirby hi-jacked this forum, or that anyone else could hi-jack this forum was baseless and unwarranted. Exactly how would one go about hi-jacking this forum anyhow? I will admit I'm pretty clueless on this. Does someone have the power or authority to control the participation of the members? I've been under the impression participation was more or less voluntary.

Well I'm sure Kirby will continue to post and for that I'm thankful because I enjoy, and benefit from, the wealth of information he volunteers to the members of this forum related to gunsmithing, equipment selection, ballistics, terminal bullet performance, and many other topics related to long range hunting. Yes, he makes a living building and testing guns. Don't hold that against him. That's precisely the background that forms the basis for the benefit and value he's able to bring to this forum. Lucky me that he's willing to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.