Way off topic....Rugers single action Vaquero in 45 colt

G

Anyone know anything about this handgun?? It's an single action cowboy style pistol in polished Stainless steel. 45 colt 6" or so barrel. Lookin to get one for the wife. Saw a great deal on a used...Only 100 times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif hehehe so they say at gander mountain. The wife has always wanted one.

Any info I can get great. Reliable...Etc etc etc

Thanks a ton

Joe

LL,

Pass on it if it doesn't have the Bisley grip frame and look for one that does, the Bisley grip shape handles recoil WAY better and she will enjoy it alot more.

I don't like the layed back hammer on them if shooting with gloves in winter, it will get caught under your glove every time, then go off when you move you hand enough to let it fly.

My 44 Mag Bisley Vaquero with 300 grainers shoots real well, it also handles recoil awesome.

The base pin pops out (past the detent) on recoil with even 180gr loads and I'll need to upgrade it to a Belt Mountain locking style. If it pops out on you the transfer bar gets cought under the firing pin and locks it up unless the muzzle is held up in the air at the time. Definitely something to keep your eye on if the one you get has not been upgraded with a locking set screw type vs the detent type they come with.

I see them for sale up here all over the place, usually the Bisely Vaquero type though. Usually they're in the $400 range, a bit higher if they've had trigger or jewelling work etc. done to them.

Brent

I'll make sure to check the items you posted. I appreciate the feedback

Joe

ya know... I used to carry a super blackhawk... 44 mag. the Ruger SA look real nice and all.. the cowboy stuff looks cool when ya have it hangin' on ya.. but what a pain to shoot!!! very uncomfortable.. my wife hated to shoot my Rugers...

then this was the clincher... (not that it would happen to your wife).... I'm guiding a Archery Elk hunt... we stick a monster!! Off he runs but he has 2 pass throughs in him so I know it is only a matter of time...we sit have a sandwich and some water cause in about 30 min. the real work starts...
so off we go tracking... long story short... ole' Griz gets to the dead Elk before we do.. up over a few dead falls we go and look up only to see ole' grizz at a full out charge .. boom....goes the 44... out comes the bear spray... squeeze the trigger again... OH ****.. pull the hammer back again you idiot... Boom goes the 44 again... in the 1.5 seconds it took to get my wits about me and remember I have a single action... ole' griz covered A LOT of ground....
went to town that day... traded it in for a Tarus Titanium in 41 mag.... it weighs about half as much too!!!!

not sure what you'll get outta that.. but anywho.. they are uncomfortable to shoot...

Ric,

How's the wife like the Ti .41?!?!
Nice light piece, but ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The worst grip frame I've used, by far, was the SuperRedhawk in 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh my brother "had". That thing would tear your hand up and punish you bad.

The next one in 475 was the Freedom Arms and it was sweet, but the grip frame is very similar to the Bisley Bisley.

The frame on the Blackhawk is not as vertical and doesn't fit nearly as well or control recoil best either.

The double actions do have the speed advantage if you don't practice with the SA often.

I have a Taurus RB 454 Casull and it handles recoil with the porting better than the SuperRedhawk ever thought of, and it's a bit more comfortable too but, it still hits the web of your hand and takes a back seat in comfort to the FA or Bisley in a big, big way. IMO the Ti Taurus .41 Mag was worse than all of them in comfort (except for packing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif).

the softer rubber grips help and so do the ports doesnt but it doesn't seem to move around in my hand much... I guess my wife has weird hands cause she doesn't mind shooting the Tarus as much... ( she doesn't shoot all the often )

but ain't nothing lighter to pack while guiding !!!! woohooo sure is nice!!

Funny ain't it, how much more we carry them than shoot them. This past Christmas the Boss (bless her heart) got me one of those S&W 340PD's in .357mag weights 14 Oz's and kicks like heck, double action only and I love it. This after packing my old .44 mag for 30 years. I figure it this way, I can tell that old bear "he'll never take me alive". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yeah you got that right pack 'em more than you shoot em...

I figure I don't care how much it hurts to shoot.. when 'ole griz is bearin' down on ya... you really don't notice it... as long as it is accurate to 30' and it is lighter than the old iron i carried I am happy...

Well, ended up getting it....Shot it....And love it..or should I say She loves it. I thought it was a nice shoot but nothing to wet the bed over. We did however get it at a great cost. I was there when the fella brought it in to sell it. The Manager has become good friends with my wife and I and she re-sold it to us for 20.00 over what Gander Mountain paid for it. Needless to say we got a great deal.

Thanks for all the advise...And please do some rain dance so I can go shoot my New LSR today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

[ QUOTE ]
yeah you got that right pack 'em more than you shoot em...

I figure I don't care how much it hurts to shoot.. when 'ole griz is bearin' down on ya... you really don't notice it... as long as it is accurate to 30' and it is lighter than the old iron i carried I am happy...

[/ QUOTE ] "AMEN"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.