What's with all the off topic, uneducated, responses??

gusd

Is it just me or has it always been like this?
4 years ago when I joined this forum it didn't seem to be as bad as it is now.
Example
I post does anyone have any experience with a Leupold vx-6?
I then get inundated with responses about how their vx-3 broke, Nightforce is the best, and why buy that when you could buy this scope thats way better.

Or if it's a question about hunting the OP get all kinds of responses from people with no personal experience passing, along info they heard from their friends buddy's brother at the bar, like it's the gospel truth.

It seems for every one response that actually applies to the OP's question I now have to read thru 5 to 10 that have nothing to do with the thread.Most of which are uneducated hear say.

Anyone else feel the same way? Like over the last couple years in order to get any pertinent info one now has to sort thru all kinds of B.S.

It is worse. Better shooting guns for less money, Anyone can throw together a decent medium to long range rig (At any age) and think there a sniper. Add in keyboard correction factor and limited knowledge becomes wisdom long before it used to...

Oh... and is a 22LR adequate for grizzly bear? Let me move my 458 win mag to use it.... REALLY!!!! :mad::rolleyes: <- This is not an actual question. For realz dawg.

it is a lot worse than when I started reading here and that was years before I joined. the facebook and twitter crowds have invaded this and other forums. they rather just post something weather it is appropriate or even useful to the tread in question. remember likes are more important than facts

Example
I then get inundated with responses about how their vx-3 broke, Nightforce is the best, and why buy that when you could buy this scope thats way better.

Or if it's a question about hunting the OP get all kinds of responses from people with no personal experience passing, along info they heard from their friends buddy's brother at the bar, like it's the gospel truth.

It seems for every one response that actually applies to the OP's question I now have to read thru 5 to 10 that have nothing to do with the thread.Most of which are uneducated hear say.

Anyone else feel the same way? Like over the last couple years in order to get any pertinent info one now has to sort thru all kinds of B.S.
The simple answer to your question is yes. Far too many give their opinion on things that are off topic or not from their own real world experience but something they read or heard that someone else said and they now take as gospel. There are some really great resources here that really know their stuff, which is what makes it worth while. Unfortunately we have to sort through the others to find what we are after.

Last edited:
It so much worse on other forums, read the same seven guys with the same opinions! Len does a great job on this forum , I think it's the best I've ever been on. Most of you guys are awesome with great insight and knowledge. I learn something every day on here! I found great rifles and scopes , I got brand new unfired brass for a 6.5 rem mag for a solid price! Yes the internet has made everyone a instant expert and I understand why you guys get irritated ! Your the elite of firearm hunters and shooters. Remember not all of us are on the level you guys are and take pride in knowing your advancing the sport ( maybe not getting to improve your selves) . I'm amazed at what some of you attempt , rifle builds , rechambers and wildcats! Trouble with all this that you can read all this but until you really go to the field or range and see the dedication it takes to truly be a LRH , then your not going to know how stupid the comments your making are! Another thing it is important that these guys comprehend what they are reading, until that happens you need to skip to the next member, cause you can't fix stupid !

I think the problem is attributable to a combination of things. Some people legitimately want to help and others are in a constant mode of "self-aggrandizement" (facebook syndrome) where they simply have to one-up the proceeding post with their knowledge (or perceived knowledge) on a particular topic. It comes with the territory and to some extent, you have to sift through it on a forum like this. If you have the patience to do so, you might glean something worth your while. I guess I may be guilty of it at times and if I am, flame me for it - I'll get out of the fetal position in a couple of hours. But I do try to qualify things by making it known that I only shoot out to 400 yards (oh, the shame) and have only been reloading since 2008 and have a lot to learn. At the end of the day, I agree, this forum is much better than most and guys (and gals) are predominantly civil. Len done good!

Example

It is worse - there are a lot of people who throw out uneducated opinions and worthless advice. Case and point - I started a thread about the VX5HD 4-20x52 a while ago. It migrated to discussions about the difference between the VX6HD 4-24x52 and the Mark 5hd, both of which I was also considering. Some jackwad come screaming in talking about how all VX6HDs have 30mm tubes, so they shouldn't even be in the same conversation as the Mark 5hd. It was pointed out several times by several people that there are models in both the VX5HD and VX6HD that have 34mm tubes. This dude doubles down and calls everybody idiots. And then he triples down even after they send him the links. Sigh...you just can't fix stupid.

There are a handful of people who are legit and offer really good advice. You just have to sift through the crap to find it. Fake news is everywhere tho, not just this site.

The quest for good information has always been sorting the forest from the weeds. Prior to WWW. it was finding magazine writers that did not "Praise" everything they touched.... so more vendors would send more stuff.
*** We simply have hundreds of times more information in the same time. Everyone [on a keyboard diet] Deems themselves an "Expert!" .
:cool:I carry dog biscuits and do not have a dog. Good ones get a snack an a scratch...

Or...what is your experience with bergers or eldms? It only takes a post or two for somebody on here to scream out Hammer Bullets, which have a much lower BC and are monos - not even in the same ball park.

Or...somebody posts they want a new rifle, the do NOT reload, so they will be using factory ammo. Its not long before somebody is recommending a sherman cartridge...its like they don't even read the post or the question.

This isn't a shot against hammer bullets or sherman cartridges. i am sure they are awesome for the right people.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.