v-max for coyotes??

87 VMax is explosive

The Vmax is very accurate and very explosive.
It performs very well in the 1:9 or 1:10 twist.
A 26" barrel will generate an average velocity as high as 3500 fps.
Its not a fur friendly bullet unless you hit the coyote at a distance of 400 yards or more where the velocity has been depleted.
I 'm shooting a 243Ackley on BAT action and chose a 90 grain Scenar averaging 3450 fps which I found doesnt damage coyotes hides at distances 350 yards and beyond unless its placed on the shoulder or backbone.
Either bullet bucks the wind great and provides downrange energy and accruacy.
Lighter bullet weights dont perform the greatest since they're even more damaging on the fur because of the increased velocity and shed velocity
very quickly making them less reliable at long range .
Try a Berger or a Scenar !

My 243 shoots the 85 BTHP Gameking and the 87 V-max extremely accurately and near same point of impact with the Gameking edging slightly in accuracy. Of these two bullets, which have you guys found to be the most fur friendly?

A few years ago I believe the 105 A-Max was used to set a 1000 yard BR record at the Missoula Montana range. I've never had any accuracy problems with the V-Max or A-Max. Results on critters... Dynamic!

I shoot a 223. with then 40gr v-max moly they shoot very good with my gun
if you want to save the hide i would tell you not to shoot this bullet they put a pretty big hole in them

My experience has actually been quite different. Shooting a 223 (AR15 w/ 16" barrel, 1:9 twist) using Black Hills 223 40gr VMAX. All kills have been one tiny hole with no exit wound ranging from 40-60 yd. Muzzel Velocity around 3410fps.

I have been using 75 grain Premier Accutip Boatail ammo. I am shooting a .243 in a Remington 700 CDL Boone & Crocket series. It is a premier deeler rifle that I got last summer to replace an old .243 BDL that has a trigger pull of what feels like 800 pounds. This new X-Mark Pro trigger is great!! I got 2 running foxes at over 200 yards last winter and the coyotes drop in their tracks. Great gun with great ammo that it seems to really like cuz it is throwing them great all the way out to at least 287 yards.

Gents this is a great subject, i have a Ruger M-77 Mrk 11 that i have recieved from inheritance, not being such a Ruger guy i figured lets git it a whirl. So heres what it is now. 1-10 twist border barrell, touched up trigger chambered in a .243 AI and i am sending .58 Grn Vmaxs to 4100 fps. have not hit a coyote yet but i have never seen carnage or shall i say battle effects like what this put out. have yet to do in a chikadee but the time is comming. Take care all
Casey

have yet to do in a chikadee but the time is comming.
Casey

I ummmmm, well maybe, I ummmm know a guy that may or may not have been at the range and one may have landed at the base of his target at 100 yds, he may have picked out the fat one of the the three...it seemed like it was slowing down the other two and resting on my...his target stand.
I do know that it went POOF and he found a wing.

223 40 gr moly v max with 28 grains of Benchmark........so I hear :D

+ a whole bunch on the 87 vmax. I've used them in a .243 AR10 for a while now. They work to waaaay out there. Farthest kill was a pdog at 720 with very good expansion. The load is 43 gr of H4350 and 210m. That gives 3270 fps. 44.5 gr gives 3330 fps. Critters can't tell the difference between the two but than neither can I. By the way it works on antelope too. I would hesitate using it on a big mulie buck, but on does I'd use it in a second. These are sub moa loads in my rifle. I've shot too many 1/4 and 1/3 moa groups with this load to remember. It is one of the first bullets I tried in my rifle (I've tried a bunch since) and it is the one I return too. Use them. They work! I think I am 30 to 35 thou from the lands.

I prefer the 75g 6mm V max over the 87.....

at my 400 yd range, the higher velocity makes up for less BC.

If you try the 75's in your 6mm Rem, I suggest that you try IMR 4064, my load is 42.0g with a Fed 210 primer in a Win case at 3500+ fps out of a 24" barrel.

I have shot a 75 gr V-Max for years in my .243s, as well as a 75 V-Max in my .25 cals, for coyotes. We don't kill a tremendous amount of coyotes, but we try to shoot 40 - 50 a year. I guess in this respect, we are not true long range shooters as about 350 yards is our normal "Long shot" and most are hopefully taken closer to 100 - 200 yards, as we are calling not sniping. At any rate, the 75 V-Max is a DRT machine, seldom a runner or a spinner...maybe twice in the last couple hundred...they go down hard and stay down.

I don't push them that hard either...39.5 grains IMR 4064 will get ya close....only shoots 3200 fps or so in our short rifles ( mostly 20 inchers), but is reasonably accurate and dependable. They also perform well in my .25s even at MUCH higher velocities.

Love the V-Max...

Joe

I've shot two coyotes with a 204 Ruger in the Mod 77 Ruger. 40 grain V-Max. Instant drop on both. No exit wounds on either. Insides were mush when skinned. One was shot at a range of 135 yards and the other was 225.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.