smile for the V-MAX!!

A friend of mine "accidentally" shot two coyotes last year with his .300 WM Sendero using 168gr Bergers. When I say accidentally, I mean we were setting up on some dirt clumps in the neighboring fields. We noticed something moving at 400 yards. I got behind the spotting scope, he got behind his Monarch. At the shot, the coyote disappeared. I thought I saw a mist in the air, but I flinched when he fired. We hopped in the truck and drove over there. All I can say is I wish I would have taken pics. Basically, it looked like the coyote grabbed a lit stick of dynamite and tried to head for the hills. He decapitated a coyote! No head, no ears, only a partial neck.

After a couple of hours and a few beers, we took a break to have another beer. In the same area, what should appear? Another coyote! He trotted over to where the other coyote was and sniffed it. We flopped back down and got ready. This time, the bullet struck the shoulder broadside. I'm almost positive you could have placed a watermelon in the open cavity the bullet left.

Moral of the story, don't use 168grain Bergers if you plan on saving pelts!

BTW way, imagine what those bullets would do on prairie dogs!
Poat some pics. I live for the carnage! I'll try to get some pics of the chucks that we have shot.

Poat some pics. I live for the carnage! I'll try to get some pics of the chucks that we have shot.

I'll see what I can get. I think he might have 1 pic on his phone, not sure though. He also decapitated a doe with those same bullets 3 or 4 years ago. Bullet to the back of the head at 20 yards.

I'll see what I can get. I think he might have 1 pic on his phone, not sure though. He also decapitated a doe with those same bullets 3 or 4 years ago. Bullet to the back of the head at 20 yards.
Sounds good! I had a guy in my club shoot a doe in the head with 00 buck. The eyes we really bulged. Kind of like a scene from a horror movie. We got checked by the federal rangers, and I thought that the rookie was going to lose his lunch! LOL!

Sounds good! I had a guy in my club shoot a doe in the head with 00 buck. The eyes we really bulged. Kind of like a scene from a horror movie. We got checked by the federal rangers, and I thought that the rookie was going to lose his lunch! LOL!

My buddy didn't have the pics on his phone anymore, but I did find a couple on my phone from a doe I shot a few years ago. We were ending a drive and heading back to the truck. My brother-in-law was dragging a doe ahead of us, and I said to everyone, "Hey, Josh should drag in the back in case a deer comes across." Well, everyone laughed at me. About the time the last snicker went away, two does ran across the logging road in from of my brother-in-law! Luckily, there was a large marsh to our left, so I ran as fast as I could to it. When I got out to the edge, there were no deer! Then I looked to my right, and there they were, running wide open at me. I checked and double checked the wind and range (just to be sure), adjusted accordingly, and sent the bullet on it's way. At an astonishing range of 10ft, the bullet struck the 1st doe in the forehead. The top of the head came off, and I jumped out of the way to avoid the deer. It looked like I shot a watermelon right off the end of the barrel. I actually got blood and brain matter on me and the gun. The deer landed right where I was standing. My brother ended up shooting the other one, at about the same range, except he shot it behind the shoulder (he knows that only a skilled marksman such as myself can pull off a head shot like that...LOL).

BTW, I was using an open sight Model 94 Win .30-.30 that my grandfather used for years until he passed away. The shots are close in, so this is about the right set-up, besides and auto or pump.

1123071300a.jpg

1123071300.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts