v-max for coyotes??

6hangingc

I'm considering loading some v-max's up for my 6mm to dust coyotes with.. Anyone have any comments on the v-max performance on yotes and bullet weight preferences.

They are awesome for coyotes. The V-Max bullets put em down quick. I would suggest the 6mm 87grn V-Max. It has a BC of .400 and it does some incredible damage.

What cartridge are you using?

Wildcat

Wildcat, Thanx for the info

I'm shootinhg a 700BDL , 6mm Rem ,I believe it is a 9 twist

Last edited:
I would go with the 87grn V-Max. You should be able to push it at around 3400 to 3500 fps.

87gr V-Max vs Coyote

I shoot a 6x284 I shot two coyotes with the 87gr V-Max. 1st one was a lasered 341 yards he was looking in my direction and I hit him in the chest. Looked like he was struck by lightening. Never felt a thing,no exit wound. 2nd one was 90 yards hit him in the shoulder blade and created a huge splash wound,but bullet survived impact and exited his side,coyote rolled on his back looked like he was trying to scratch his back and then died. Hole bunch of blood. Its strange also shot a coyote with a 80 gr Nosler BT at 40 yards with 6x284 I know for fact those bullets MV was 3,900 FPS+ I hit that coyote broad side never saw coyote go down ( Because of recoil) " No way could I of missed"!!!! That dog did a complete 180 and died. That wound was pencil size in and out.I was hoping for big graphic hole but there wasn't.I don't think V-maxs are as accurate as Sierra or Noslers. I'd get flyers more frequently then with other two makers.

The V-Max is an awsome bullet for Yote's the 87gr is about the best for the 6mm, i use them alot in my 6mmAI, and my .243AI they do wonders on all predators and varmints. inside 100yrds they do destroy a bit of the pelt though if you hit a bone they tear it up, in close.

the 55 grainers at 3700 out of a 220 swift, they will freeze em in their tracks!! Simply demolishes them. But.......as mentioned earlier, be ready for some pelt damage on most shots and also, they will tear up a soft hided bobcat pretty bad. May be something to think about if you call where there are lots of cats.

Thanks for sharing the info guys. I can't wait to get some loaded up and give them a try.

Anyone else have trouble with accuracy or flyers like Iron Worker???

Has anyone had any experience with the v-max at longer ranges. Are there any accuracy or performance problems out past 500 yds. We have a lot of open country here, and it might be fun to see how far out I can take one.

Thanks again

I have used the 87grn V-Max out to 1000 yards. It performed well when the conditions were right. It really depends on the conditions in your area. In my area the wind is not bad and most of the time very calm. So, a high BC bullet is not as important to me. I want a bullet I can shoot fast and one that explodes varmints into red mist.

However, when the wind is blowing hard, I too will swith to the higher BC bullet or rifle that is set up to shoot the high BC bullets. But to answer your question, Yes, the 87grn V-Max will perform out to around 1000 yards as long as it is pushed fast enough and the wind is calm. Your 6mm Remington will push the 87grn V-Max fast enough, so all you need to worry about is how fast the wind is going to be blowing.

Good Luck

Wildcat

Wildcat,

Thanks for the added information. The wind seems to always be blowing at least a little around here, but I think maybe I will load up both the 87gr V-max and some 105gr A-max for those longer shots when the wind is blowing.

Any suggestions on powders??

Thanks again

Try H4350 and Reloader 22 for both the 87grn V-Max and the 105grn A-Max and see how they work. I would recommend using Federal 210M Primers.

Wildcat

Another vote for the 87g V-MAX here.

I've been using it in a 6BR almost exclusively, other than when I want to show off at the range with some 68g Berger or Fowlers.

Good to 600+ with the limited velocity the 6BR has as compared to your 6 Remington.

re

I shoot a 223. with then 40gr v-max moly they shoot very good with my gun
if you want to save the hide i would tell you not to shoot this bullet they put a pretty big hole in them

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.