v-max for coyotes??

It sounds like the guys shooting the v-maxes in the heavier(70-80gr) bullets are having touble with tearing up hides on the coyotes. I shoot 40-50 grain v-maxes out of my 223 and never have that problem. Around 20 coyotes with these bullets at 150 yards or closer, dropped in their tracks, and no exit wounds.gun)

I HAVE HAD VERY GOOG LUCK WITH THE SMALLER BULLETS ON PELT DAMAGE I SELL SO ITS CRUICHEL ON PELT DAMAGE. THE HEAVERRY BULLETS ARE NICE OUT AT LONG RANGES. I HAVENT GOT TO RUNN THE BIGGER BULLETS SO I CANT TELL HOW THEY RUN YOTES. BUT I DO RUN ON BIGGER GAME NOT V MAX BUT HONADY 225 GR HORNADY SOFT POINTS FOR ELK. AND I CAN GET REALLY GOOD RANGE. CERTAIN BULLETS FO CERTAIN APPLICATIONS .YOU JUST GOT EXPERIMENT TO GET THE LOAD THAT WORKS. GOOD LUCK WITH 223.gun)

I HAVE HAD VERY GOOG LUCK WITH THE SMALLER BULLETS ON PELT DAMAGE I SELL SO ITS CRUICHEL ON PELT DAMAGE. THE HEAVERRY BULLETS ARE NICE OUT AT LONG RANGES. I HAVENT GOT TO RUNN THE BIGGER BULLETS SO I CANT TELL HOW THEY RUN YOTES. BUT I DO RUN ON BIGGER GAME NOT V MAX BUT HONADY 225 GR HORNADY SOFT POINTS FOR ELK. AND I CAN GET REALLY GOOD RANGE. CERTAIN BULLETS FO CERTAIN APPLICATIONS .YOU JUST GOT EXPERIMENT TO GET THE LOAD THAT WORKS. GOOD LUCK WITH 223.gun)
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I shoot 58gr. V-Max at 4000 fps out of my 243wssm and I can tell you it is not a pelt saver. Check out the coyote ugly thread on this site. These bullets are very accurate out to 500 yards for me.It groups a 10 shot session in the size of a nickel at 300 yards. I like to call the 'yotes in so that V-Max smacks the hell out of them at those speeds.

I use 75Vmax in my 6-284 and it sure does make a mess of things. If you're a pelt saver, I don't think the Vmax line of bullets is the best option as they leave big messy holes.

My daughter is a little wacky, the bigger the mess, the more she likes going. :D

Attachments

• Eyote.jpg
    Eyote.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 81
I use 75Vmax in my 6-284 and it sure does make a mess of things. If you're a pelt saver, I don't think the Vmax line of bullets is the best option as they leave big messy holes.

My daughter is a little wacky, the bigger the mess, the more she likes going. :D

Cool picture ! I shoot a 6x284 what was your load ? How far ? I shot a Coyote in the chest when he was looking at me at 350 yds with 87gr V-Max. Coyote was dead before he hit the ground,but no exit !

I only have experiance with the V-Max in a .223 but it preforms flawlessly for me. All coyotes have dropped in their tracks, though flawlessly for me is a dead coyote that I don't have to chase. I shoot a .243 also but only use 100 SP. I think it is being a little optimistic thinking that any 6mm will be pelt friendly all the time...or most of the time even. But if all you want is a dead coyote like me. The V-Max is a great bullet and extremely accurate in my guns that is.

HuntMac

Iron Worker,

I'm using 51.3 of H4350, Fed. 210M, Lapua brass, COAL 2.732 which is 10thou off the lands. My 6-284 was built on a Remmy SA which is why my overall length is maybe shorter than if it were built on a LA.

The yote in the pic with my daughter was a nice sized female shot at just over 200yds. I think it was 212 to be exact.

When I was waiting for my 6-284 to get built I used my .223 with 40gr Vmax and 40gr Ballistic tips. Both dispatched yotes quite well and neither was what I would call "fur friendly".

Now I'm having Mr. Carlock (Defensive Edge) put a new 24in. Hart 1-9 barrel on my .223 and chamber it into a .223AI to shoot the new 53gr Vmax. I'm thinking this will be a really fun setup with those new .290BC 53's.

Iron Worker,

I'm using 51.3 of H4350, Fed. 210M, Lapua brass, COAL 2.732 which is 10thou off the lands. My 6-284 was built on a Remmy SA which is why my overall length is maybe shorter than if it were built on a LA.

The yote in the pic with my daughter was a nice sized female shot at just over 200yds. I think it was 212 to be exact.

When I was waiting for my 6-284 to get built I used my .223 with 40gr Vmax and 40gr Ballistic tips. Both dispatched yotes quite well and neither was what I would call "fur friendly".

Now I'm having Mr. Carlock (Defensive Edge) put a new 24in. Hart 1-9 barrel on my .223 and chamber it into a .223AI to shoot the new 53gr Vmax. I'm thinking this will be a really fun setup with those new .290BC 53's.

51grs of H4350 ? Well all guns are different that just seems a little on the light side. Any how have you tried any Re#17 ? That powder burning rate is close to H4350 but it some how produces 150FPS faster then H4350. I wonder if a 12"twist will work with those new 53gr Hornady V-Maxs ?

You are correct. It is a rather mildish load but it prints so **** good I had a hard time talking myself into messing with it. I'd like to try some 87's but I'm not sure they will fly right. My 6-284 is only a 1-12tw. Guess I just need to try them and see.

Some seem to think a 1-12 isn't fast enough for the new 53Vmax in a .223 while others say it is. Guess you just need to try out and see for yourself.

My little .223 was a Rem LTR w/1-9tw so I just went back with the same tw rate. I doubt it will shoot the 75's but I may try them just for the hell of it. My plan is to pretty much only shoot those 53Vmax unless for some reason they don't work. I sure hope they do though, I've already got a whole pile of them on the shelf. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.