v-max for coyotes??

I use 58gr Vmax with 43gr of Varget in my 243 win. They are devastating on yotes. Sometimes no exit hole, sometimes a big exit hole.

They are my pick for yote hunting with 243. I use 52gr Amax outta my 22-250 and they also work very well.

Iron Worker, I have not experienced any noticeable accuracy differences in the 55-grain V-Max and Nosler Ballistic Tips with my .22-250. Some rifles may like certain bullets over others due to ogive and other differences with the bullet and differences in chambers. I guess I am lucky in having a rifle that isn't finicky about either bullet.

I must say that I am very surprised at the reporting of such different effects of VMAX bullets on coyotes. I have used 50 gr. VMAX moly (Hornady) in my .222 Rem for coyotes for years and have had just one that required sewing. The VAST majority had no exit hole and those shots were from 75 yards out to about 300. I rate VMAX as one of the most fur friendly bullets avaliable. The moly coated (factory) ammo I use is no longer available, but since the bullets are still in production I am having my brass reloaded to factory specs with them.

I must say that I am very surprised at the reporting of such different effects of VMAX bullets on coyotes.
Ohioyte,
Welcome to LRH Forums! :cool:

It's all about velocity. The triple duce is an extremely accurate cartridge, but not a huge velocity monster...compared to some others.

Even with more velocity, shot placement can make a huge difference in how a bullet performs with respect to the destruction of a coyote. Hitting a bone on the contact side will open a V-Max quickly, thus causing more ballistic damage than if it had hit a bone on the way out.

I'm shooting a Nosler BT in 87gr. out of my .25-06 and want to switch to a 75gr. V-Max for more speed. The 87gr. is going 3300 f.p.s. which is enough, but I've always been fond of more speed...as long as the accuracy is there. :) I'm sure that I can get another 500 f.p.s. with the V-Max and still attain good accuracy.

Bowhunter57

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.