270win for coyotes

Not sure what your number is when you say shoot a good number of rounds but the .223 is definately cheaper to shoot than the 22-250 both in commercial ammunition and reloading. My first varmint gun was a 22-250 and although it has accounted for more coyotes than I can remember it still shoots my favorite load into a ragged hole. I don't run my 50gr vmax at max load and i still bring it out in the rodent pastures just so it don't feel neglected. Barrel burnout is more contributed by heating the barrel with too many shots in a row than the number of shots through a barrel. Keep it cool and a 22-250 should last a long time.

ruger300

IMG_4522.jpg
150gr. Interlok. Works great on yotes, or maybe a little too well. The side of the yote you see in the pic... was the only side left. Hit him center mass (no bone at all) and the far side exploded. Stick with the 223...

The nice thing about Coyote Hunting is that you are not going thru 250 rds/day as you would on a PD shoot. Bottom line you won't smoke a 22-250 bbl going coyote hunting.
There is a romance attached to the 22-250 and 220 Swift, one can feel like they are king of the prairie when carrying one of them. They shoot fast, flat and hit with authority.
Yea the guys shooting the new 20's will say I shoot fast fast - I shoot fast too. And to a certian extent they are right.
I agree with those who have recomended the 223, they are a great utility grade rifle, and the ammo is significantly cheaper 2:1 or better. I use about 24 grs of Benchmark powder per load for my 223. These days when powder is over $20/lb that adds up, when powder was $12/lb I did not worry about it.
If you ever go on a PD shoot, most of the shooting will be 75 to 250 yds, there will be so many dogs that you will not spend alot of time on the 500-600 yd shots. But you will go thru a lot of ammo.
For the long range stuff, next time I am going to bring my 300 Rummy (30" bull bbl, blue printed, muzzle break and other goodies) and work on getting my 1,000yd shot. gun)
For coyote hunting, you've had fast day of shooting if you go thru 15rds/day.

Just sayin' :D

You can't go wrong with 223, shoot several diff loads and figure out which your rifle likes best. If you want to practice with it you can buy cheap fmj stuff and shoot all day for little money. Then shoot the good stuff for dogs, my personal favorite is 53gr vmax superformance my ar loves them. Like the others said burning a barrel out these days is a feat, several rounds got the rap of being barrel burners back in the day when ballistics and metallurgy weren't what they are today.

I used to use a 270 for fox and coyotes. I used 130g mainly because my goal was to use the same round I hunted deer with. Sometimes they were a bit destructive, especially on fox.
Almost all the shooting was at moving targets and it really helped to practice for big game this way. Usually could see your hits in the snow so you had instant feedback. Great way to learn your capabilities as well as the guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.