.204 Ruger for coyotes

Bullets on these coyotes entered about the exact same place (because of the brush neck shots are typically the only available shot). One shot with a 6mm rem & 100 gr partition (it had a calf sorted off from mama and that rifle was by my door), and the other coyote shot with a 204 and 35 gr berger. The one shot with the 6mm was about 200 yards on a trot, and the one with the 204 was shot at around 125 yards staring at the decoy in the picture. Both are equal sized male dogs, and both pictures are on the off hand side of him. Both dropped dead on impact. I realize the partition isn't the best bullet for fur, but that's what was handy! I've not shot as many coyotes with the 204 as some of my other rifles yet, but everyone has dropped dead in his tracks - I think that makes me a believer!
gun)

Attachments

• DSC01829.jpg
    DSC01829.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 251
Have been smacking dogs with the 204's since about 2006 (have three 204's now). The 35 & 40 bergers are ideal medicine for yotes. The hornady 45 gr sp's are pretty good as well. I have shot a bunch using the 39 gr BK's but have had a few "splashes with them. Most of the time they are DRT with a few spinners. Most shots for me run about 250 yds. I also use a 243 for those really windy days and yes it will knock them down like the "hammer of thor", but not very "fur friendly". I really like the 75 and 87 gr V-max and the 88 gr bergers for those long "reach out and touch them" distances.

Here is one shot from the back of my deck using my newest 204 in T3 lite
100_0499.jpg

Great advice here already. Here's another article for you to review.

Fur Loads

IF you can find a 12 twist rifle it will be more likely to stabilize the 40 grain Berger. It would probably be the first choice for your big Northern coyotes with their heavy fur. I use the 35 grain Berger on our coyotes here with excellent results.

tt

I use a CZ 527 with the 26" barrel in 12" twist. The rifles are not now available in the USA, but I saw them still available on the European CZ website. You have to settle for the new 24" barrel that is shorter and fatter if you get it off CZ USA.

My rifle hates 32 grain bullets, but really hits true with 40 grain Hornady V-Max. It also shoots the 45 grain Hornady SP bullet very well.

I did penetration tests with the 40 V-Max and the 45 SP, through 3 stacked clay pigeons that were epoxied together with a blanket in front (to simulate fur ahead of bone), then a 1-lb IMR powder can filled with water, then a bulk plastic coffee can filled with wet newspapers, all taped together, at 100 yards.

The 40 V-Max made it into the plastic coffee can and caused considerable damage to the wet newspaper, but did not exit the plastic coffee can. It was evident that the bullet was breaking up when it entered the plastic coffee can.

The 45 SP blasted through everything and made an exit hole in the coffee can of about the size of a quarter. There was a good amount of damage to the wet newspapers. I would not be afraid to take this bullet whitetail deer hunting. It should blow through a coyote with no problem. Will be very hard on the fur on exit. BTW, the bullet was expanded when it hit the coffee can by the looks of the entrance hole, but definitely holding together.

If you don't want an exit wound, then the 40 V-Max might work for coyotes and it might save the hide. It blows prairie dogs apart with no problem.

My loads are all at least at book max, or possibly a bit over. The CZ 527 is a strong little rifle and shoots the best with full max loads (true of all my CZ rifles). My stock is the walnut American, but you have about 5 stock options with this rifle. The 26" barrel gives me full velocity and little muzzle blast.

I shoot a Howa M1500 Ranchland chambered in .243 at yotes and absolutely love the gun. Also shoot a H&R bull barrel .223 and Howa M1500 Varmiter 22-250. All are extremely accurate, straight shooting and deadly calibers. Accuracy is increased significantly when you work up various loads for each. Significant bullet selections to choose from for loaders. It comes down to the conditions you are hunting. In northern California we are generally shooting in oak woodlands and rolling foothills. Shots are between 40 and 300 yards. All of above calibers stop them in their tracks. Period. Preservation of the pelts is also dependent on bullet weight which is determined by which load combination the particular gun "wants" to shoot. But at the end of the day it's all about bullet placement. If you are still confusted, get the 204, 223, 22-250, and 243. I think I'm going to order me up the 204 right now.

I've killed a dozen with my 204 now. I switched to the 45gr Hornady and have had great luck with it on the tough angles. I have taken a coyote through the shoulder and had it exit the flank, and through the flank and it exited the shoulder. Nothing has went over 10ft and exit wounds weren't bad at all. I like this bullet better than anything I've tried so far.

Most folks that I know who shoot coyotes, don't like the 204 because they often get away if the bullet isn't placed properly. Most of the pros here use 243if retaining the fur isn't a top priority. Some use the 223 or 22-250 if the fur is a priority.

I'm a fan of the browning a bolt and after having one in 270wsm and 22.250 I picked one up in 204 to be my PD gun. Previously the 22.250 was my most used gun. The 204 has now replaced it and since picking it up in Aug 2015 I've probably shot 250pds with it since.
Seeing yotes out there on a regular basis I thought I'd go calling last Sat. On the first stand one came barreling out of the cedars at 500yrds. I was wanting to try a longer shot with the 204 but he charged all the way in and was still on a run when I hit him at 50yrds in the neck. He flopped some before going to the big prariiee in the sky and I'm sure my little 32gr Hornady pd loads were not the best load for LR coyote medicine, but I sure like the improved loss of sight picture in the scope over the 22.250.

Getting ready for a coues hunt and spending time with my 270wsm and shooting 6" groups at 700+ yards I thought I'd give it a try on the next stand,with the hopes of testing out a LR shot on Mr yote. Nope. The next one showed up at 400 yards, paused then as I was getting ready to squeeze one off he came all the way in on a trot till he piled up at 75yrds from a 140gr AB. Of course that 140gr AB opened him up like an M40 in a toad, but I've always believed a good coyote is a dead one, so mission accomplished there.

With a custom Leupold turret on all my scopes, I won't be changing the load on my 204 and may just have to break out the AR in 223, but I don't have near the confidence in it at ranges past 250 yards as I do the bolt guns.

The 223 with the Sierra 65 Gr. Gameking kills them and saves the pelt. You will need a 1 in 10 or faster twist.

+1 great bullet out of a .223 with a 1-9 or 1-10 twist... it's my go to bullet for the .223 in my AR

The 204 is a great all around varmint round. Mine is a remington 700 varmint it shoots 32 grain z-max handloads @4090 fps and .25moa. Never lost a yote with it and it's a pleasure to shoot. I also shoot a 22-250 Ackley and a rock river 223. All good coyote medicine but you won't regret getting a 204.

204RugerCart.jpg

The load for my Thompson/Center Contender.

2010Crow.jpg

Taken at 311 yards.

h5uz178.jpg

Taken at 252 yards.

i27uu-148.jpg

Taken at 108 yards.

i27uu-211.jpg

I don't remember how far away this one was.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.