Trueing the action?

I would agree, I am not a 1000 yard BR smith, my customers are not in that competition as a rule.

I would also like to report that I just received a personal e-mail response from Jim Borden, this was his response to my questions:

Kirby

The Alpine and Timberline actions are made to high quality specifications for concentricity and squareness-in fact the same specs as for the Rimrock actions. However--they do differ from the Rimrock actions in the following areas:
1. Bolt is fit to a target total clearance of 0.0025 inch versus .0005 on closing and .0015 on open with the Rimrock
2. The Alpine and Timberline have a turned finish on outside versus ground
3. The Alpine and Timberline have two piece bolts versus a 1 piece bolt
4. The trigger pocket in the Alpine/Timberline is cut with side cutter versus generated with endmill

Thanks for your interest in our product

Jim Borden

From this I take that Jims receivers are ready to build on out of the box so I would agree with BH in that they are great options for someone looking for a mid priced quality receiver to build on.

Will also say Jim responded extremely quick as well, a sign of his dedication to his customers and rifles!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, I spoke with Borden about a week ago regarding these actions. He makes good stuff.

One of his friends reported an inability to see any difference at "extended ranges" between the Borden RIMROCK actions and the new ones, Alpine/Timberline.

The new actions that will be available in April/May also do not have the Borden bumps.

Derek

I think Jims new actions do have the Borden bumps. I was talking to him this weekend about them and I am pretty sure he stated the measurements on the bolt are off the bumps. Plus they will come set up for WSMs and Ultramags if you want for same price.

Kirby

used rem triggers are around for $35-50 max and after market for under $100. Used mags and bottom metal are around also. You probably have a pile in your shop now except for WSMs. If he is spending $250-500 for both those, it sure is not for Rem original equip so that figure is for aftermarket triggers and bottom metal and that cost would have to be added to a Rem action aso.

Bruce Baer has the Lawton site and said he thought it was "Lawton Machines" in Montana but I could not find it either. Got to get back to him to find the site.

Clay Spencer just bought whole new CNC setups for barrels and milling and heard his actions will be out later this year so doubt it is on his website yet.

Something to keep in mind when you look at the equip list for BR setups many of the 700 actions are sleeved or set up in barrel blocks even on LGs. Neither of those mods would show on the equip list. Now some are not also, but the majority are. If a 700 is used on a HG, then 98% are barrel blocks.

Yes a 700 can be made to shoot just as good as custom in many cases. My first LG was sleeved 700 and my first HG was a barrel blocked 700. Both would shoot great. However, they are not near as smooth, have the shorter barrel tenon and you have to pull every trick in the book to do it normally.

BH

BTW,I ordered a Timberline from Jim and these actions are ready for a barrel no truing nessesary,Jim never mentioned this action having Borden Bumps so I can"t say they do or Don"t,but I don"t expect them at the price he will be selling them at, they will have a fluted bolt and the receiver tapped for 8-40 screws which is a great upgrade over some of the other new clones that are coming out, and a recoil lug + RH and LH ,Jim is offering alot more for the money and I think they will be one of the more popular actions because of what he is offering Ackleyfan

[ QUOTE ]
Derek

I think Jims new actions do have the Borden bumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I specifically asked him about the ones that will be $600 and he stated that they do NOT have the bumps.

Ackleyfan, do you have an FFL?

I was under the impression that only FFL holders can order an action. Is this wrong?

It has to be shipped by and to a FFL. Your local gunshop will take delivery and transfer it to you if you want. There is some costs for the transfer. Maybe $30.00 or so, I forget at the moment.

BH,

Yes my comment about $200-$300 charge for trigger assembly, mag box and Floorplate were in reference to either a Rifles Basix or Jewell trigger used with a new Rem Mag box and New Rem bottom metal.

Used parts would certainly lower this price. I sell my used Rem triggers for the same price range you mentioned.

Agree with your comments totally.

I will have to look into the Lawton receivers more. Being a fellow Montana company, it would be interesting to offer a true Montana made barreled action using their receivers and Lilja barrels and some smith from po dunk Fort Shaw Montana putting everything together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Again, thanks for the information on these receivers. The more information I get on them the better they look, but I still like my Rem 700s!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Alg, i think you will like this hansen action, very very nice !!
I wish i could but remington actions as cheap here as the smiths in the USA can, i think i'm going to have to get some import export thing organised with some one..
Pete

Take note on the Borden actions, the $600 is an introductory price.

They will go up later but not sure to what,but would expect to no more than $795 with all the competition that is coming to this arena now.

BH

Pete, of course I´ll like it, it looks great ¡¡ Can you post or send a pic now that you have it ??

Apart from that, a nicely priced import action makes new rifles more available ¡¡

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.