300 WSM- Best true short action magnum?

I have a couple barrels in 7mm/300WSM, and they do very well with 180 Berger VLD's 2900-2950fps, and 150 ABLR at 3000-3050fps. I sacrificed a blank and tested cutting an inch off at a time from 26 down to 20, and settled on 22" as the happy place with 180 bergers. If the 145 HHT does as well as I hope I may be able to shorten further to 20", and ditch the bergers all together.

I'm partial to 7mm's too. I have a few and want a few more. I really like my 7mm WSM. If I want more power that's what the 28 Nosler is for. Somewhere in between and that's why I want the 7 PRC. If I want/need less than all of them and I'd have to go with the 7mm-08 (then again the 6.5 Creedmoor fills that range well too.)

I'm partial to 7mm's too. I have a few and want a few more. I really like my 7mm WSM. If I want more power that's what the 28 Nosler is for. Somewhere in between and that's why I want the 7 PRC. If I want/need less than all of them and I'd have to go with the 7mm-08 (then again the 6.5 Creedmoor fills that range well too.)
Different powers for different purposes 4 sure! 3 30cals, let alone different lengths (300bo, 308win & 300wm). Got my 30's covered. My 26's are covered also (6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem, 6.5prc & 264wm).

If you want a short action .30 cal magnum I wouldn't do the wsm, it's amazing in a medium action but in a true 2.95" short action the saum holds an edge over it. Then the 300 ss from rich Sherman holds an edge over the saum. But ultimately you should build whatever you really want, I've been talked into different cartridges before and regretted it and ended up building what I wanted originally and wasted a fair amount of money in the process!!

To the OP, you've made the right assumptions. Keeping it to 30 cal, and specifically a short action, I went down this rabbit hole not too long ago. 300WSM or 300 RSAUM is what I narrowed it down to. After looking at available reloading components I chose the 300WSM as a true short action build. Brass for the RSAUM is expensive and very limited. 300WSM brass is easily found, and with ADG now making it, is what put me over the edge. It's a great cartridge and is fully capable of shooting the 200 grain category projectiles at very respectable velocities. You also will have some good options of lighter weight Monos with some good BC's also.

Last edited:
I think you're getting some really good advice and sound wisdom, but someone just posted in the long run just do what you want, build what you want, because really if you're like the rest of us you'll be building something different soon anyway lol. We get one shooting good, and it's like we want to go through the process again. I've got a safe full of guns and I'm always looking at what to get rid of to go on to a different project. I'm just finishing up load development on a 20 VarTarg and 204 Ruger, and who knows where we're headed next. There's a really nice Remington action with a Hart barrel on Gunbroker right now in left hand, anybody want to loan me some money lol.

I shoot a 20" 300 WSM suppressed, might be a favorite gun. Like everyone else, very accurate and easy to load for. Mine is on a long action though. One thing that seems to be overlooked pretty often is increased recoil on shorter barrels, something to keep in mind. I had a 24" 300 PRC before this, and my 20" 300 WSM kicks just barely less, all else equal. Especially on magnums, even with finding the ideal powder for a short barrel, it creates alot of extra force, extra gas coming out the end.

To those suggesting the 7mm flavors. I've read a lot of good things about them and they undoubtedly have better BC when comparing length and weight. But typically a smaller diameter/weight bullet is faster to be affected by velocity loss of a short barrel. Would you still give the nod to the 7 even in a short barrel?
Would you be able to elaborate on higher velocity loss by smaller diameter/weight? Where is that information from, or based on? Thanks.

Gunwerks has kept velocity data on customer rifles, and according to them the 7mm SAUM had the lowest velocity loss in short barrels. I don't recall all the details but it sounded like a consistent trend.

Would you be able to elaborate on higher velocity loss by smaller diameter/weight? Where is that information from, or based on? Thanks.

Gunwerks has kept velocity data on customer rifles, and according to them the 7mm SAUM had the lowest velocity loss in short barrels. I don't recall all the details but it sounded like a consistent trend.
I will state the powder used will make a difference! At some point/range between 4" worth there isn't much change, but go another 2-4" and it drops like a lead balloon.

Sherman Short, SAUM or 6.8 Western are the best LR options for a short action magnum. If you were to delve into a standard action with custom throat for longer bullets, then the WSM will be the best option due to increased powder capacity.

I'm not a PRC guy, they left too much on the table with the narrower cartridge, and the only short action option is the 6.5. Plus, Hornady can pound sand.