300 WSM- Best true short action magnum?

DTF370

I recently acquired a short action that I plan to get a few barrels for. My primary and most versatile setup being something like a medium weight 300 WSM. My wishlist:

Magazine fed 2.95" or less OAL.

Great terminal performance for game or hypothetical invading foreign militaries of course.

Well-suited for a 20" barrel.

And great long range (over 1k) performance.

To me, I can't think of a better performing round that can operate in a short action out of a 20" barrel than the 300 WSM. I handload so factory ammo isn't a consideration here.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any other cartridges I should consider?

It's what I settled on for my short action do it all, if I wasn't wandering around bears I'd maybe do a 6.5 prc or 7 wsm.

Started with a 300 wsm, then went 7 wsm at the same time I rebarreled my 300 wsm. Then swapped to a 270 wsm (still have it). Then tried a 7 saum, but that was before it really took off, tried a 6.5 x 284 but that was pre xm actions and ran outta room Then went long action for my magnums (Well still have my 300 and 270 wsm).

Decided to do a do it all moderate rifle and the 300 wsm was the obvious choice. Bullets from 165 to 190 match perfectly, 180 or 200 partitions get me bear protection, 125s over a stout load get me on moving varmints. It recoil light enough to go in a unbreaked sub 8 lbd rifle for a whole shooting session. It looses way less fps in 20 inches than does the 6.5 or 270 short action mags, what's not to love.

I'm a fan of the saum cartridges, specifically the 7SAUM. I think it is an extremely versatile cartridge and will be able to do anything most people would ask of it. I have never been able to compare the two side by side but was very impressed with the 7SAUM I got to test for a while.

the 300 wsm is fully capable at 2.950 with bullets up to and including the 205gr Berger. I shoot the 200.20x out of mine at 2980fps with a 25" barrel. My other one is at 3010fps with a 26" so I'd say you're gonna be in the 2750-2850 range with a 20". Shot a big mule deer at 1000yds last year and worked great.

Last edited:
To those suggesting the 7mm flavors. I've read a lot of good things about them and they undoubtedly have better BC when comparing length and weight. But typically a smaller diameter/weight bullet is faster to be affected by velocity loss of a short barrel. Would you still give the nod to the 7 even in a short barrel?

I've had two 300 WSM's and both were extremely accurate, and effective. One thing I noticed about the two I had, any velocity over 2950 and accuracy started to wane. I only shot 165-180 grain bullets, but it held true for all. There were several of us around here that shot the round for a while and best accuracy was found in all those rifles at that particular velo. Similar rifles, and it was so long ago I couldn't tell you what the twist was, but I do like the 7's. The 195 grain Berger flies amazing out of my 28 Nosler, and banging steel is fairly simple at 1000 in excellent conditions. Taken elk out to 980, and whitetail at 600, deadly combo.

NOT being a 7 fan I'd consider it over a 30cal. Then again I received my 7saum barrel Friday I believe. 7's might give you better bc's, but going 300wsm/300saum IF shooting 195's and up should be the ticket in a 20" barrel. I'd like to do a 300rcm for the fact of using less powder using mid to light weight bullets with 16-18" barrels.

If you reload, I'd consider the 338 Sherman Short in a 20-24" barrel personally if I were concerned about bears. Outside of that I'm partial to 7mm cartridges.

7 SAUM or 6.8 Western. I have both and love them both. I like that the 7 SAUM has more bullet options. It is hard to find the heavy, high BC .277 bullets. The Sherman shorts look fantastic but I have no experience with them. 6.5 PRC is great but marginal for elk after 400 yards or so. But still a great performer.