Trigger Question

Lahunter76

ok, if you have a stock action with the standard trigger that came in it and have a gunsmith do a "trigger job" on and it comes back very crisp and feels great.....what's the advantage to getting an aftermarket trigger?

Last edited:
Also if you are up to it, you can replace the trigger yourself and only have to wait for the trigger to be delivered vs. waiting for the gunsmith to work on yours

for the standard end user, the gunsmith job is everything they'll ever need. for a lot of us on here, you want a custom for the added end user adjustability. I run a few tikka rifles, and the stock triggers are wonderful, but only allow for pull weight adjustment. if I wanted anything else, it's custom time

My gunsmith will not "do a trigger job".

He will adjust a factory adjustable trigger, or he will install an aftermarket trigger for you and adjust it.

You can thank stupid lawsuits for that.

I prefer an adjustable aftermarket trigger myself. You can tune it for conditions. Set it very light for range work the put a little more weight on it for hunting season with gloves and cold weather

I like stock rifles with adjustable triggers, especially if they come with one. But triggers are not exactly anything I worry about. If I open my group because of my trigger pull then that's a technique issue not a trigger mechanical issue. 2 lb pull is plenty good.

Reason I had asked was I had a gunsmith work on mine, charged $50 bucks, and he had done two for my father and I like them and I liked mine once it came back, but if there were advantages of an aftermarket trigger I was looking at that but after reading yalls input I believe I will stick with why I have!! Thanks for yalls help!

I had a gunsmith do a "trigger job" once. While he was in there he decided to mess with some other stuff. My gun never shot the same after that. I sold the gun. Never again will I pay a smith to work on a trigger when I can pay $120 for a timney and install it myself.

To answer your question - if you like the trigger job the gunsmith did, there is no need for an aftermarket. If I was trying to decide whether to pay for a trigger job or buy an aftermarket - its a no brainer, buy an aftermarket.

If you are satisfied with the stock trigger that has been tuned just go with it , I have several rifles that I did the same way but my gunsmith passed away that had previously done my trigger work . The last 4-5 rifles that I bought I ordered timney triggers and had timney adjust them from the factory at 2.5 lbs and had them installed , all but one came in just right . I feel some factory triggers can be tuned ok but upgraded triggers are usually smoother and are generally improved over most stock triggers

ok, if you have a stock action with the standard trigger that came in it and have a gunsmith do a "trigger job" on and it comes back very crisp and feels great.....what's the advantage to getting an aftermarket trigger?
When I bought a used 700 Remington (on the left) I had it glass bedded and a Timney trigger installed. Works great though I really bought the gun because i fell in love with the fiddle back maple stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts