Trigger Pull

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Slopeshunter, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

Just curious. With your hunting rifles, what weight do you have the trigger pull set to?

Tks all.

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

2.5-3.5 for me. Most are 2.5 and crisp.

3. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

For precision work I can't use anything over 32 ounces. I prefer 13 to 17 ounces. All my scoped rifles are set at these specs.

4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Mine are set at about 2.5 pounds. I hunt on hillsides frequently and it is very common to slip down on either leaves or gravel and I do not want to worry about the gun going off.

Secondly, I do not have what a person would call "sensitive" fingers and I want to know that my finger is actually in contact with the trigger before it goes off.

Growing up shooting factory guns and then in the army using guns with a lot of slack in them, I am happy and comfortable with slack as long as it is smooth slack.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

About 3# on hunting rifles, lower for varmints.

C'ya, John.

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I use 2 to 2.5 but as you can see everybodys got an opinion the works for them. I like a no creep trigger and about 2-2.5 pounds. For you it may not work.
    This is what I suggest set the trigger where it is just slightly lighter than you would expect it to go off. (If your a danty man a 1 pound might work but if your a gorilla you might want 5 lbs just a little humor there).
    I don't like to be much under 3 pound in a stalking rifle so I set it where I want it and load the mag box and don't chamber one before I need it. I have only missed one chance at a deer for this reason so I practiced this function a little and I find it is not problem. Any way that was my 5 cents worth.

Rh

7. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

As long as it is 2#, I can live w/it. I really prefer something in the 1# range though.

8. 308warbird

308warbird Well-Known Member

2 pounds.

9. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

2LBS

10. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Between 2lb and 3lb on most biggame rifles.

Most of my varmint rigs are set at 12oz. The varmint rigs are always carried unloaded and a shell isn't introduced until the scope is on target.

11. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Both of my LR rifles feel exactly the same. Probably ~5#. Way to heavy!! by a factor of at least 2.

12. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Roy , why haven't you worked them over yet?
    what action are they?

13. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

2-14 oz.

14. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

JD - Ones a 700 the other is a 721.

I ain't so hot when it comes to working on triggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I set my Timney on the Mauser (now my son's) I used for 30 years and tho't it was pretty good. When I got it back from the rebarrel job it was set perfectly for weight and all the other good things. Wonderful.

The others were donw by smiths also and are perfect except for the pull weight. I'm kinda skeer'd to mess with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif