Ruger trigger

larson1

To start with I've spent hours reading all your posts and have gotten some very valuable info here and is the best sight I've found yet. My Ruger is a 77 mkII 300 win that shoots on average 1.58" groups. The trigger is terrible 6# 8oz pull and I feel like the gun would be capable of more. I have ordered a Timney from Midway but is on B.O. until the end of march. I found this sight www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html and was wondering if a gunsmith could make these mods to my ruger or would I be better off waiting for the Timney to come in? Also has anyone used David Tubbs final finish and with any luck?

Hey another ruger shooter! I had my trigger reworked but my rifle is an old tang safty model. I believe your going to have to wait on a timney trigger with your MKII. Ruger factory trigger's are hard to rework now. Let me know how it goes. I am a bit of a Ruger fan and really get tired of hearing about Remingtons. By the way mine wil print 1/2moa groups now as long as i do my part.Course i also had it pillar bedded.

Oregonhntr,

The Ruger M77 MkII has about the worst trigger on a factory rifle today, guess they are getting a little lawsuit shy!!!

The good news is that they are easy to tune up to very fine triggers, especially for a big game hunting trigger. I tune them all the time in my shop with great results.

Generally it is a simply task to get the trigger pull down to a nice 3 lbs and the creep totally eliminated.

If you want lighter then this I would get an aftermarket trigger.

The Timney is a good trigger, I have had some newer Timney's that I have fitted recently that I basically had to do a trigger job on them to get the creep out. THis is generally not a problem but it seems to happen more often with the newer triggers.

If you fit your own Timney, take it slow fitting the safety, you want the safeties trigger block to solidly contact the trigger when turned to teh safe position. Take your time and check the fit often and you will be fine.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Visit Brownells, there are a variety of triggers from hunting weight down to match now for the ruger rifles.

Jerry

Thanks for all your advice. I went ahead and made the mods to my trigger this weekend by following directions in post and talking with a member on the ruger forum that had done it already. It was quit simple like Kirby Allen said and turned out real well. Just go slow and check fit often.

They might not have "adjustments" but they are plenty adjustable. I only have the use of one arm. I can do one in one try to 32 ounces (2 pounds) in 20 minutes start to finish. Wood to Wood. Give me some time (45 min) and I can get 16 ounces or any weight, to the ounce you desire, safe and repeatable. I can monkey with a factory Remington trigger for hours and never get the trigger quality I can acheive with the 77 MarkII trigger. I would never waste money on a trigger for the Mark II. If I was legal and could get 20 bucks a trigger I could make a fortune but, for now, I'm stuck doing them for free.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.