Thoughts on remington 700 long range

Nothing wrong with the Remington 700. For $650 the long range will do you well. Ive never had a Remington not shoot. Replace the trigger, no big deal.

Issue with media and the internet is one guy does something stupid or gets a dud, then everyone repeats. So it makes it sound like every rifle is crap when it's actually the same story being repeated over and over again.

If you're a smith who's worked on Remingtons or you've owned a Remington that's messed up my comment isn't directed at you.

But a lot of Remingtons are crap stories are from guys who say "my sisters friends husband has a cousin who worked with a guy who had his Remington explode and it leveled a city block. I'll never shoot another Remington again."

I currently own three untouched Remington firearms, did budget builds on 700s, and did "full customs" on Remington 700s. My dad has Remington 700s and so do my brothers. All of them are 1 MOA or less shooters with decent ammo. My dad and brothers leave their rifles stock and shoot with Nikon prostaff scopes. Remingtons are fine.

Replace the trigger, torque the action in the stock to spec, clean the barrel, shoot quality ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with the Remington 700. For $650 the long range will do you well. Ive never had a Remington not shoot. Replace the trigger, no big deal.

Issue with media and the internet is one guy does something stupid or gets a dud, then everyone repeats. So it makes it sound like every rifle is crap when it's actually the same story being repeated over and over again.

If you're a smith who's worked on Remingtons or you've owned a Remington that's messed up my comment isn't directed at you.

But a lot of Remingtons are crap stories are from guys who say "my sisters friends husband has a cousin who worked with a guy who had his Remington explode and it leveled a city block. I'll never shoot another Remington again."

I currently own three untouched Remington firearms, did budget builds on 700s, and did "full customs" on Remington 700s. My dad has Remington 700s and so do my brothers. All of them are 1 MOA or less shooters with decent ammo. My dad and brothers leave their rifles stock and shoot with Nikon prostaff scopes. Remingtons are fine.

Replace the trigger, torque the action in the stock to spec, clean the barrel, shoot quality ammo.
I think most of it is probably just rumours and bashing Remington is the cool thing to do nowadays. Just like bashing the 6.5cm. Not saying Remington doesnt have issues and I'm sure they probably let more lemons through than others. This is coming from a guy who has said he wouldnt touch a Remington with a 10ft pole. I've really opened my mind alot in the past year or so and am learning so much more.

I think most of it is probably just rumours and bashing Remington is the cool thing to do nowadays. Just like bashing the 6.5cm. Not saying Remington doesnt have issues and I'm sure they probably let more lemons through than others. This is coming from a guy who has said he wouldnt touch a Remington with a 10ft pole. I've really opened my mind alot in the past year or so and am learning so much more.

I'm a creedmoor basher and I own a creedmoor...lol

Yeah, of course Remington has its issues, but I think it's blown out of proportion. The volume of firearms they make, they will have duds. I think another disservice is when guys compare their defiance's or bats to a 700. I've seen that happen among my friends just hanging out, tinkering with guns. Oh Remingtons crap compared to my defiance! Well no it's not that the 700 is crap, it's just that the defiance is awesome. I have to remind my buddies that they also paid 4x the cost of a entire Remington 700 ADL for just their receiver!

So I had the Remington 700LR in 7 mag. Loved the stock but always like that style for cheek weld

Mine shot well. Trigger was absolute garbage and replaced with a timney .

I grew quite dissatisfied with the 7mag .

For all that powder I found the cartridge in efficient .

My 700LR is now a 257wby and it is awesome .if I want to thump something I take a 338win mag

My beef with Remington is the 700lr cartridges .Not good modern choices

Like the others have mentioned, one bad incedent happens & it spreads quickly now days & gets blown out of proportion. There's a very simple reason why everyone use a 700 or clone to build customer. They are the best.

That being said in a prior place of employment we used a lot of 700 LR rifles for testing bullets & ammo. Never seen an issue. Infact most out shot the Senderos we tested. If you don't mind a little extra weight you cannot go wrong with a 700 LR. Buy with confidence!

If you are happy with what a factory action provides then go that route, if you want the tolerances and bells and whistles go custom. But as soon as you try and spend money to make a factory action like a custom its throwing good money after bad no matter what you do it's still a factory action, you will never recoup anywhere near the money you dump into a factory trying to equal a custom.

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.
Mine was awesome!! Bought it 3 years ago and shot out the barrel at around 1,200 rounds. Would consistently shoot under .5 MOA with H1000 and Berger 168g VLD. Only upgrade then was a Timney trigger.

I just got it back and put a proof carbon barrel on it, full blueprint and glass bedding. I am now shooting .22 MOA at 200 yards with the Berger 175 Elite. By far my favorite gun to shoot.

There are a lot of anti M700 snobs out there. I'm not one of them. I like them, own several, and have built nice rifles with them. Try to find a cheap used one. You can buy a brand new a Walmart, canabilize it and build just as nice a rifle for much less than it would cost to purchase a factory built "custom" rifle. I do all my own work so granted, I don't have to spend as much. I won't argue with the anti M700 snobs. Every one has an opinion. You can't change their's and they aren't changing mine!

Getting back to the X bolt, my friend's had a very crappy recoil pad on it. I've been a believer that a good recoil pad can be an absolute game changer and proved it on all of my magnums. I know that Limbsaver has a custom fit line but not sure which model would fit yours. I've thought of selling or retiring certain rifles that aren't doing it, but it ended up that I reworked the most critical item and made them very useable again, for not much of an investment.

The reason is irrelevant the reality is they suck.

I had one in .308 and could match pretty much anyone on the range with pretty much any 150gn round I put in it. Hard to beat a good 26" heavy barrel, even without a free floating barrel. Folks that shot these LR models usually restocked it.

I bought one in 7 mm mag when Gander Mountain was going out of business. After the sale and the rebate I got the gun for about $400. I bought it planning to use it to resell or as the base for a new build. I decided to sell it but before I did I bedded the recoil lug and put a few boxes of factory through it. With cheapo federal fusion it was a consistent .8 moa out to 500yds.

Getting back to the X bolt, my friend's had a very crappy recoil pad on it. I've been a believer that a good recoil pad can be an absolute game changer and proved it on all of my magnums. I know that Limbsaver has a custom fit line but not sure which model would fit yours. I've thought of selling or retiring certain rifles that aren't doing it, but it ended up that I reworked the most critical item and made them very useable again, for not much of an investment.

I had one in .308 and could match pretty much anyone on the range with pretty much any 150gn round I put in it. Hard to beat a good 26" heavy barrel, even without a free floating barrel. Folks that shot these LR models usually restocked it.
I still like my x-bolt and it shoots great. It's just not fitting for my style. I live and breath guns and long range shooting. Long range is my passion and the browning just isnt up to the task. Very hard rifle to shoot at long range well.

Tikka is owned by Beretta... Their CS is horrible. Heard of a few Bergaras having some issues, as well...Chambers, firing pins, etc...

Anything man-made has a chance for being defective...Especially anything mass-produced. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

The only reason new Remingtons have to replace the triggers is because stupid people killed their family members or friends by their own negligence, and their lawyers took advantage of the crooked [in]justice system here in America, and sued them. So, now Remington has to produce crappy lawyer-proof triggers. So, everyone who complains about Remington's crappy triggers, or why they need replacing immediately, they can blame the dumbasses that killed their friends and family members from their own stupidity and negligence, and then blamed Remington. And to keep from getting sued himself, Mike Walker had to "admit" that the old triggers were "defective" on camera in a 60 Minutes interview. Which I thought was complete crap, and nothing more than an anti-gun propaganda hit piece.[/QU
Tikka is owned by Beretta... Their CS is horrible. Heard of a few Bergaras having some issues, as well...Chambers, firing pins, etc...

Anything man-made has a chance for being defective...Especially anything mass-produced. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

The only reason new Remingtons have to replace the triggers is because stupid people killed their family members or friends by their own negligence, and their lawyers took advantage of the crooked [in]justice system here in America, and sued them. So, now Remington has to produce crappy lawyer-proof triggers. So, everyone who complains about Remington's crappy triggers, or why they need replacing immediately, they can blame the dumbasses that killed their friends and family members from their own stupidity and negligence, and then blamed Remington. And to keep from getting sued himself, Mike Walker had to "admit" that the old triggers were "defective" on camera in a 60 Minutes interview. Which I thought was complete crap, and nothing more than an anti-gun propaganda hit piece.
I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.

With wanting to rebuild/alter as you go, the used market usually has lots of good buys on 700s and 700 barreled actions

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.