Remington 700 long range.

I know the difference. I have both rifles in my safe. The LR SS is unfired, but I've had the milspec for years. If anyone wants to see pics of the SS LR I'd be glad to post some up.

I know this now, but I was previously unaware they were producing them.

Id be interested, as I have not seen one yet.

Here you go. Completely untouched so far.

Attachments

• 20151121_184405.jpg
    20151121_184405.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 120
How did you measure this?

If you borescope the chamber you can see the lands are cut unevenly. Sometimes the lands have not even been touched on one side.

I take the barrel off and put it through my headstock on the lathe and indicate the bore through the chamber with a long indicator. Then compare the chamber to the bore.

You can usually still get these to shoot decent so some people may never know.

If you borescope the chamber you can see the lands are cut unevenly. Sometimes the lands have not even been touched on one side.

I take the barrel off and put it through my headstock on the lathe and indicate the bore through the chamber with a long indicator. Then compare the chamber to the bore.

You can usually still get these to shoot decent so some people may never know.

Thanks for answering. Were the rifles you dealt with ones that had trouble, or just random inspection?

Nice. Is that a dealer special or something? I don't see it in the catalog or Remington website. May I ask where you acquired it? :)

Sportsman's Warehouse is where I got this one. Sportsman's is the only place I've seen them. I've seen them chambered in 7 RM, 300 RUM, and 300 WM. I don't think they are anything new. The first SS one I saw a was a 7RM at the Sportman's Warehouse in Federal Way, WA nearly two years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering. Were the rifles you dealt with ones that had trouble, or just random inspection?

Both. I try to look inside every gun I handle so I know.

When I buy a gun at a store I bring along my borescope and ask to look inside the chamber. It's kinda awkward when I do this but I pick the best one. :rolleyes:

Both. I try to look inside every gun I handle so I know.

When I buy a gun at a store I bring along my borescope and ask to look inside the chamber. It's kinda awkward when I do this but I pick the best one. :rolleyes:

I do the same thing, just not the extent you do. I usually have a small flashlight to see inside the chamber. Another big one for me is whether the barrel is centered in the channel.

I went and gave mine a closer look and the chamber is centered. You had me a little concerned.

Bart B, I am new to the long range shooting scene but I have some experience with .308 at 300-400 yards.
I wanted to know what accuracy level you want.

In other words, what's the most you want to miss your point of aim at long range?

30 caliber magnums are hard to shoot precisely because of their recoil before the bullet leaves that moves the bore axis to shoot the bullet where you don't want it to go.

I wanted to know what accuracy level you want.

In other words, what's the most you want to miss your point of aim at long range?

30 caliber magnums are hard to shoot precisely because of their recoil before the bullet leaves that moves the bore axis to shoot the bullet where you don't want it to go.

Bullets leave the muzzle before the shooter feels any recoil.

Now, it is possible for someone to flinch before the shot, but that's not from recoil, it's from anticipating the recoil.

There is also "target panic", but that's not from either recoil or anticipating recoil...It's from being under pressure and anticipating the shot before it happens, and makes you start shaking. Some folks call it "buck fever" when you're hunting, but it's the same thing.

Do you think the rifle stays still until the bullet's left the barrel?

Other than when the firing pin hits the primer, yes, until the recoil is felt. Unless you flinch, in which case, your action causes an equal and opposite reaction BEFORE the primer is ever ignited, before the bullet ever begins its journey down the bore.

The best I can figure it, If you have a 24" barrel, and the bullet leaves the muzzle at 3,000 fps average, it spends around 2/100th's (0.02) of a second in the bore. So, recoil, like sound, has a delayed reaction from the time the initial action is created. The bullet has long been out of the muzzle by the time the shooter actually feels any recoil. If you watch a lot of super-slow motion videos of people shooting guns, you will see that the bullet leaves the bore before the gun ever even moves.

In response to my asking if the rifle stays still until the bullet's left the barrel.....
Other than when the firing pin hits the primer, yes, until the recoil is felt.
If that's true:

Why do double rifle barrel muzzle axes toe in several MOA to cross at 20 or so yards in front of them so bullets from each will hit point of aim 100 yards away?

Why are handgun's front sight aiming reference higher above the bore axis than that of the rear sight?

Why do rifle barrel's bore axis at the muzzle point somewhere else besides at a point above the downrange aiming point equal to sight height plus bullet drop?

If you have a 24" barrel, and the bullet leaves the muzzle at 3,000 fps average, it spends around 2/100th's (0.02) of a second in the bore.
Typical .308 Win barrel times are around 1.5 millisecond or .0015 second; not .020 second as you suggest

If you watch a lot of super-slow motion videos of people shooting guns, you will see that the bullet leaves the bore before the gun ever even moves.
It appears that way, but if it were true, then the following would not be facts:

Barrel Harmonics Mode Shape Movies

Rifle Barrel Tuner Vibration Analysis

It's been proved that us humans all see through rifle sights the same way. So, why do several people need a different zero to hit point of aim with the same rifle and ammo?

I think you're forgetting about Newton's laws of motion. Of course, shooter's don't feel the rifle recoiling during barrel time because it moves only a few thousandths or hundredths of an inch. Its amount and direction is primarily determined by how powerful the load is, the rifle's weight and how far the bore axis is and its direction from the center of mass holding that barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.