Remington 700 Long Range

Mram10us:
"I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up"

It's not the contour's fault.

Receiver faces are not squared up. Their high point puts more stress on the barrel at that point causing more barrel whip in that direction as metal expands heating up.

People have squared up receivers then shimmed the factory barrel to headspace and no more stringing as barrels heat up.
I think your missing the point of this thread. If he wanted to buy a bench rest rifle to shoot 15 round strings at 1000 yards, I bet he would have asked how the rem 700 lr was for bench rest shooting 15 round strings at 1000 yards.

I would concur with you, if I wanted to build a dedicated br gun, I wouldn't be looking at a factory Remington, for the most part that goes without saying. Custom actions fit that niche. The cost in "sleeving" a factory action in conjunction with truing and any other needed work to make it more rigid or useful in br makes zero sense when you can buy an extremly stiff custom dedicated br action for the same or less cost these days.

But I highly doubt that the motive of overkill338's question is so that he can use this 13 lb sporting 300 win mag competitively for bench rest. More as a hunting and steel practice rifle likely, where 1-3 shots is all that will ever be needed in any string 95% of the time.

Wonder if they would be any good in a 10 twist? I haven't looked into them.
Probably not, I think Hornady recommends a 1:8. I made a pretty cool necklace for my son from a 230 A-Tip.

Here is the 230
230_308_atip2.jpg 230_308_atip1.jpg 20191220_165931-1118x1138.jpg

Mram10us:
"I don't know of any factory standard contour barrels that don't string some as they heat up"

It's not the contour's fault.

Receiver faces are not squared up. Their high point puts more stress on the barrel at that point causing more barrel whip in that direction as metal expands heating up.

People have squared up receivers then shimmed the factory barrel to headspace and no more stringing as barrels heat up.
I haven't shot a 15 shot string at 1000 with a factory win70. Do they not string? Are they perfectly true from the box?

I haven't shot a 15 shot string at 1000 with a factory win70. Do they not string? Are they perfectly true from the box?
The four I tested at 1000 did string shots. The one in 308 Win I kept got its receiver face squared up and shimmed. Like most Winchester match barrels, its oversized .3086" groove diameter required .3092" Lapua match bullets to test under MOA at 1000.

I think your missing the point of this thread. If he wanted to buy a bench rest rifle to shoot 15 round strings at 1000 yards, I bet he would have asked how the rem 700 lr was for bench rest shooting 15 round strings at 1000 yards.

I would concur with you, if I wanted to build a dedicated br gun, I wouldn't be looking at a factory Remington, for the most part that goes without saying. Custom actions fit that niche. The cost in "sleeving" a factory action in conjunction with truing and any other needed work to make it more rigid or useful in br makes zero sense when you can buy an extremly stiff custom dedicated br action for the same or less cost these days.

But I highly doubt that the motive of overkill338's question is so that he can use this 13 lb sporting 300 win mag competitively for bench rest. More as a hunting and steel practice rifle likely, where 1-3 shots is all that will ever be needed in any string 95% of the time.
Cody, you nailed it! This is going to be my target rifle. My "Entry Level" gun into Long Range shooting. I will also occasionally, lug the heavy beech through the woods. I also want to go up to Quantico to shoot 1k after I find a load it likes. There is also a competition in Roanoke, VA every year called "The Egg Shoot". They used to shoot at chicken eggs from 500 yards, but I believe they have changed it around some now.

....but yeah, Cody hit the nail on the head. Paper and steel, occasionally brown fur. If I get to go hunt an Elk, it should be great for shooting to the next hill.

7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag......omg I hate being indecisive! Lol

Bullets I would try in the LR .300:
190 LRX
200 AB
210 ABLR
200 Gameking
199 Hammer Hunter

Last edited:
Model 70s were cool before 1962, then the 700 Remington came out. They're good deer rifles but I don't see them being used or copied for 90% of the custom rifles made today. Remingtons were sleeved for larger bedding surface area. There are tons of F-Class and Benchrest guys still shooting round receivers that are Remington clones or footprints. Don't see any Model 70s doing that.

Now let's keep this thread on track. This is about the Remington 700 Long Range. It's not about action design, Benchrest shooting, Model 70s, Model T's or anything else off topic.

Model 70s were cool before 1962, then the 700 Remington came out. They're good deer rifles but I don't see them being used or copied for 90% of the custom rifles made today. Remingtons were sleeved for larger bedding surface area. There are tons of F-Class and Benchrest guys still shooting round receivers that are Remington clones or footprints. Don't see any Model 70s doing that.

Now let's keep this thread on track. This is about the Remington 700 Long Range. It's not about action design, Benchrest shooting, Model 70s, Model T's or anything else off topic.
Thanks. Do you happen to know how velocity is in these guns? Take a 215 Berger Target bullet, can it be pushed above 2900 ?

Thanks. Do you happen to know how velocity is in these guns? Take a 215 Berger Target bullet, can it be pushed above 2900 ?
I never shot the 215 Berger's, but I did shoot 208gr ELDs in mine. I got them going around 2890-2900 with H4831 and IMR 7828. The 215 Berger has a shorter bearing surface so can be pushed as fast or a little faster than the 208 ELD. I would use H1000, Retumbo, or RL26. All of those should get you around 2900+ with a 215 Berger.

For someone who wants a REALLY cheap, accurate rifle, Remington's 783 Heavy Barrel should be appealing. The .308 version can be had with a 16.5" barrel or a 24" barrel.

Here is a good read about it. It shot some 1/2 MOA groups at 100, and held 1 moa with 3 rapid shots at 300. I'd say not bad at all for $399 http://www.snipercentral.com/remington-783-synthetic-heavy-barrel-full-review/

Now with that said, I don't have very good luck. I'm sticking with the 700 LR.

rem783-12.jpg

I have been looking at getting one the rem lr in 300 win mag, they seem like a great value and a great build able platform for a future build. I was thinking of having the smith run a reamer through it to clean it up and throat it deep for the 225 eldms with a Wyatt's box. I hadn't thought of fluting the barrel, is that recommended on a factory barrel? I have read some bad things.

I have been looking at getting one the rem lr in 300 win mag, they seem like a great value and a great build able platform for a future build. I was thinking of having the smith run a reamer through it to clean it up and throat it deep for the 225 eldms with a Wyatt's box. I hadn't thought of fluting the barrel, is that recommended on a factory barrel? I have read some bad things.
I would just leave the factory barrel alone. I know some people do flute them, but you can release stresses in the barrel if you flute a barrel after it's been rifled, especially a factory hammer forged barrel. Custom barrels that have been properly stress relieved can be fluted, but I wouldn't waste the money or time fluting a factory barrel. As far as throating the barrel, it can be done. The smith will just have to make dang sure he has the factory throat dialed in perfectly in his lathe before he cuts the throat any deeper. The throat can't be cut off center from the existing chamber for obvious reasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.