Thoughts on remington 700 long range

I have a Remmy LR in 30/06,,, I know that there pillar bedded,,, but l'm all about Zero Stress bedding and Jewel triggers.

It's a tack driver fore sure,,, very manageable weight at 12 ish lbs all in with optic,,, bypod,,, sling and pouch of 15 extra rounds.

The plan was the burn the barrel out and rechamber to 308 Winchester so it matches my collection of Two other 308's I have on the go.

3 rifles using the same size cases,,, bullets,,, powder and primers. The nice thing about this idea is that I can seat the boolitz long to 0.20 thou off the lands and be able to use the bottom feed.

My Two 308's are slowly being matched with the same bull barrels at 24" with 10 1/4 twist since the longest bullets they will see are 178 ELD-X and 185 Juggernauts,,, both of those bullets work with 12:1 twist rate ,,, I like to have them closer to the 10 and 11 category.

Just a me thing...

My option is to build the 2 rifles I have on the go and decide later on what the option is for my LR,,, don't get me right or wrong since I really like the LR,,, but in all reality I don't need Three 308's nor do I want too many rifles in my collection.

2 hunting rifles , 1 Shotgun , and 1 22 rimfire will fill my needs,,, of course that's not saying that I don't like the idea of building Three M-40 rifles ,,, LOL.

Nothing wrong with planning since all my iron is bought and paided for,,, that's a plus.

Seems the camp is pretty split on Remington.
Despite their many many many downfalls, there's a reason why I still stick with the 700, instead of trend-following like a dog chasing his own tail over and over again expecting something different to happen each time.

Because like a song once said, "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything..." And I know 700's. If you know something, and can make it work for you, stick with it.

Last edited:
If a Remington is what you're after and rebarreling is in the foreseeable future; buy a cheap ADL or BDL and build. That way you get as close as possible to the exact rifle you want.
The plan is to build and shoot as I go. I just have too much going on in life right now to plunk down the change on the build I want right off the bat. A rebarrel would happen next summer more than likely. I just bought a house this past summer and I have to make a few minor renovations to it which will be taking most of my extra money. I just had another child this past August too. I see where you guys are all coming from. I'm not saying this is ideal, but for a shoot and build as info kinda project I think this is kinda the package to go with. If I wanted a turn key package this would not be what I'd buy.

My vote would be the 700 Rem. If it shoots good you are set.

It is also one of the actions that respond better than most to accurizing if a/your smith knows what he is doing. This is why most aftermarket actions are based on the 700 Rem action plus the amount of custom parts for them.

I have never had problems with the Remington extractors and in fact the most problematic extractor I have found has been the Sako.

I have also had some good Rem triggers and just as many bad ones. Those I replaced just like i would on any brand of rifle as long as it could be replaced with a Quality aftermarket trigger. (Many factory rifles don,t have or can be replaced by a good trigger) so your stuck with it unless you know a master Gunsmith that can hone it safely.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

The plan is to build and shoot as I go. I just have too much going on in life right now to plunk down the change on the build I want right off the bat.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other but here's something to consider. For the reasons you just laid out, I would strongly consider an old BDL. They can be had for relatively cheap. The difference in price could get you a decent stock (lots of nice used ones here in the classifieds from time to time) right off the bat. You'll probably wind up with a 24" barrel, but that's not a huge handicap and your looking to replace in a year or so anyway. Go old enough and you get the Walker style trigger that's actually pretty decent with some minor adjustment.

Just something to think about.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other but here's something to consider. For the reasons you just laid out, I would strongly consider an old BDL. They can be had for relatively cheap. The difference in price could get you a decent stock (lots of nice used ones here in the classifieds from time to time) right off the bat. You'll probably wind up with a 24" barrel, but that's not a huge handicap and your looking to replace in a year or so anyway. Go old enough and you get the Walker style trigger that's actually pretty decent with some minor adjustment.

Just something to think about.
I understand where you're coming from. I've been keeping my eye open around here but people seem to want an arm and a leg for a older Remington. That would ideally be the way to go if I could find one locally for a decent price.

I bought a frugal 308 SPS last fall,,, $450 + tax ,,,, that's about $350 ish in Usd Funds,,, of course they come with plastic rubber stocks and the crappy triggers,,, but they are Soooooo easy to tune up.

My first unit became a Extra loooooong F Class rig,,, about $4000 all in Cnd funds,,, with optic and a Remple Bypod,,,
The only thing factory on that build is the black action.

Every thing is custom built,,, P&TG bolt,,,, 32" Jury Barrel,,,MCRS extra long stock ,,,, what a dream to shoot.

My other 308 SPS 24" is still factory less a work over by me.

Re- aligned the action,,, smoothed up the trigger,,, added mid price optic,,, Harrison BR Bypod,,, I shoot Factory FTR with it,,, normally 400 to 800 meters. Our 2 final year shoot off's are 900 meters,,, so I've been practicing the 1435 meter stuff this winter... -30c up here in the North,,, the trick is to load hot... Ha.

Of course my 30/6 LR has and edge over the 308 SPS,,, BUT if I take the time to set up and get it planted with the 35 lb iron plate up front,,, solid bunny ear rear bag,,, I can """sometimes""" match the LR,,, not the F rig.

It takes alot of my time to make it happen as the F Class rig and LR plant them selves on their own.

That's the difference I find.

I enjoy the challange of pushing the limits of frugal rifles,,, folks think I'm crazy,,, that doesn't mean nothing to me since I compete against 3 of me.

I,,, me,,, and my self... That's what really counts in my books.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.