Thoughts on remington 700 long range

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.

I own a Remington 7mm mag. Best and most accurate rifle in my collection.25 to .5 inch groups at 200 yards. With a better scope and someone with a steady hand would possibly get tighter than that. I would take a chance on it if the deal was good enough.

Not many smiths from.my understanding will touch a browning. I'm a do as much as I can myself kinda guy and build as I go as funds for me are not always available. It's taken me 3 years to got my 6.5 build where it is just doing alittle at a time. Theres not alot of options for stocks either for the browning and I'd like to change the stock. My plan would be to get the remongton and immediately change the trigger. Then move to the barrel, then move to the stock making it exactly what i want with no compromises, shooting it as I build it. It may take me 5 years but it will be what I want.
just why exactly would you want to replace the barrel on a 700. They are some of the best out there, unless you're looking to shoot BR with it. the actions since the early 90s have been CNC machined a nothing really needs done to them (Mine are from the 60s and 70s and nothing needs done to them). Lot of things , blue printing so called, was good for a WW2 Mauser or something but not needed on todays rifles. Waste of time, and money maker for the shop doing them. Too much "stuff" being done to guns for no real good reason. The only thing I'd get done to a Remington is get a Jewell trigger for it, as they the best. Been going to for years, but shoots good without it, so haven't.

So I had the Remington 700LR in 7 mag. Loved the stock but always like that style for cheek weld

Mine shot well. Trigger was absolute garbage and replaced with a timney .

I grew quite dissatisfied with the 7mag .

For all that powder I found the cartridge in efficient .

My 700LR is now a 257wby and it is awesome
.if I want to thump something I take a 338win mag

My beef with Remington is the 700lr cartridges .Not good modern choices
You completely contradicted your entire purpose... You took a VERY efficient magnum cartridge (7mmRM) and turned it into a very inefficient magnum cartridge (.257 Wby).

I've owned both, and I've also compared my .257 Wby side-by-side with my custom .25-06 AI, (both 26" barrels), and the .25-06 AI is better in every since way, and only about 75 fps shy of the Wby, but using about 10gr less powder, less recoil, less muzzle blast, etc...

If you are happy with what a factory action provides then go that route, if you want the tolerances and bells and whistles go custom. But as soon as you try and spend money to make a factory action like a custom its throwing good money after bad no matter what you do it's still a factory action, you will never recoup anywhere near the money you dump into a factory trying to equal a custom.
Not everything is about recouping money spent. Some of us don't plan on selling guns we build. Also, that's simply false. Even custom actions need to have the face squared for 100% contact...Ask any honest smith, and they'll tell you the same.

Also, what I pay for a complete pawn shop ADL rifle + blueprinting/building the rifle is still less than half of what a custom action costs.

Not many smiths from.my understanding will touch a browning. I'm a do as much as I can myself kinda guy and build as I go as funds for me are not always available. It's taken me 3 years to got my 6.5 build where it is just doing alittle at a time. Theres not alot of options for stocks either for the browning and I'd like to change the stock. My plan would be to get the remongton and immediately change the trigger. Then move to the barrel, then move to the stock making it exactly what i want with no compromises, shooting it as I build it. It may take me 5 years but it will be what I want.
Chad Dixon at Long rifles inc has tooled up to work on brownings. put a new barrel on it and keep it!

Tikka is owned by Beretta... Their CS is horrible. Heard of a few Bergaras having some issues, as well...Chambers, firing pins, etc...

Anything man-made has a chance for being defective...Especially anything mass-produced. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

The only reason new Remingtons have to replace the triggers is because stupid people killed their family members or friends by their own negligence, and their lawyers took advantage of the crooked [in]justice system here in America, and sued them. So, now Remington has to produce crappy lawyer-proof triggers. So, everyone who complains about Remington's crappy triggers, or why they need replacing immediately, they can blame the dumbasses that killed their friends and family members from their own stupidity and negligence, and then blamed Remington. And to keep from getting sued himself, Mike Walker had to "admit" that the old triggers were "defective" on camera in a 60 Minutes interview. Which I thought was complete crap, and nothing more than an anti-gun propaganda hit piece.
I'm as pro gun as you can get, but I have had an older Remington that the trigger would misfire without touching. Remington executives were a ***. It's OK to be honest and still be pro-gun. There's probably no industry that hasnt had some company willing to risk people's health for a profit. The documentation is there from Walker's old memo.

I'm as pro gun as you can get, but I have had an older Remington that the trigger would misfire without touching. Remington executives were a ***. It's OK to be honest and still be pro-gun. There's probably no industry that hasnt had some company willing to risk people's health for a profit. The documentation is there from Walker's old memo.
Yes, but people only died because of negligence and pure stupidity. First, who leaves a rifle unattended that is loaded, cocked, and then goes walking around in front of it as if it's inert? A complete idiot. Who keeps a loaded, cocked, and on safe rifle in a horse trailer compartment where it can only lay 1 direction, and could get bumped around, and because if you open one side, it might be pointing directly at you when it does get bumped and go off? Once again, negligence and stupidity.

You can't blame that on Remington... But guess what? They did! And their lawyers ate it up! And just like that stupid McDonald's coffee lady, the injustice system absolved the idiots of all of their stupidity and blame, and put it squarely on the big corporation.

just why exactly would you want to replace the barrel on a 700. They are some of the best out there, unless you're looking to shoot BR with it. the actions since the early 90s have been CNC machined a nothing really needs done to them (Mine are from the 60s and 70s and nothing needs done to them). Lot of things , blue printing so called, was good for a WW2 Mauser or something but not needed on todays rifles. Waste of time, and money maker for the shop doing them. Too much "stuff" being done to guns for no real good reason. The only thing I'd get done to a Remington is get a Jewell trigger for it, as they the best. Been going to for years, but shoots good without it, so haven't.
I'd replace the barrel because it doesn't have the twist I want. I want a 8 twist in 7mm mag

Bought a 700 Long range 300 win mag several years ago Bell and Carlson stock no problems at all. original trigger works fine for me for now. I put a night force 5.5x22 x56 on it . And love shooting that rifle. super accurate. I am trying out a Magpul stock right now. ammo and brass are reasonable great bullet selection. Plenty to play with.

Let's put assets/debt to real world values....oops can't...because banks and financial advisors see all portions in the same way...if you need a loan value goes up..if taxes are involved value goes down...that is capitalism...
Cohen saying the crap he did other day about Trump cheating on his properties....same exact situations....
Buy your next house on property and see if you can get any more from it in two months...buy a new vehicle and it loses value BEFORE you drive off the lot.....
Buy a new rifle and without firing it it's value isn't what it was collecting dust at the store...why....because of demand and supply....you may have bought the first one in years from a stores shelf......they all say we don't have markup pricing....yeah right...how do you stay in business....not everything is mail order these days...but sure as hell seems that way when I need a new tool for work......

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.[/QUOTE

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.
Hi I have a heavy Barrel Sendero Special in 270 win, and that Rifle shoots 2/8 of an inch at 200 yards with handloads. It's just awesome accuracy,and it's accurate with everything else. The Rifle is 1995 vintage.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.