Thoughts on remington 700 long range

Not everything is about recouping money spent. Some of us don't plan on selling guns we build. Also, that's simply false. Even custom actions need to have the face squared for 100% contact...Ask any honest smith, and they'll tell you the same.

Also, what I pay for a complete pawn shop ADL rifle + blueprinting/building the rifle is still less than half of what a custom action costs.
Like I've said in previous post add up the cost of squaring up the action, boltface, oversizing the threads, timing the extraction, side bolt release, fluting and nitride 1 piece bolt and see where your at, the only difference is if you can do the work yourself. It is true some customs are better than others.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of a factory action just pointing out the cost to try and get a factory to the tolerances, and options you have on a custom.
There is no way if you ever sell a factory action with all the work done that I stated above if you sold it you will ever get the percentage back compared to what you spend as compared to a custom.

I know some people who build guns and get bored with them and then sell and build something else so that is a consideration to take into account we all dont drive chevys.

Why not rebarrel the xbolt?
With the 700 you get an action(hopefully it's true enough) and a m40 b&c stock. Trigger is garbage, and you want to pull the barrel.
I'd ask yourself what you want to end up with?
I'm with you on this one . What you get from the sounds of it and what you are going to end up with is a new trigger and a used action. Personally...if it was me...I'd buy the components as I could afford them and shoot new everything when it's complete... just me...I don't like doing things two and three times

maybe consider trading in your x bolt on an new x bolt hells canyon LR in 7mm RM that comes with a 26" 8 twist barrel. you can move your scope and mounts to the new one. add the M Carbo trigger spring and have fun shooting. no wait time....

Like I've said in previous post add up the cost of squaring up the action, boltface, oversizing the threads, timing the extraction, side bolt release, fluting and nitride 1 piece bolt and see where your at, the only difference is if you can do the work yourself. It is true some customs are better than others.
Yeah, I've had a bunch of customs built in the last number of years... I know what the costs are...And you don't automatically need a new aftermarket bolt. Whether your smith is ripping you off on pricing or not, is up to you... What my smith charges is significantly less than what the big name guys appear to charge, and seems to be about on-par with what small-time local smiths charge folks.

If a smith charges $500 to build/chamber/thread/etc... a rifle. And he builds 1 rifle during each standard 8 hour business day (which is completely possible). That's $2,500 a week. Which in-turn (x4.33) becomes $10,825 a month. Which adds up to $129,900 a year. This is all before taxes, but still, that's a pretty good living just for building 1 rifle a day. That's not including if he does more work, or more than 1 rifle, or starts another build, and is averaging 1.5 to 2 rifles a day in just machining labor.

That being said, those guys that are charging you $2,500 in labor to build your rifle, think how rich they are? If they build 1 rifle per day at that labor price, you're looking at about $650,000 a year.

I know some people who build guns and get bored with them and then sell and build something else so that is a consideration to take into account we all dont drive chevys.
Yes, but we all can't afford Lambo's or Ferrari's either... You have to consider that, as well.

maybe consider trading in your x bolt on an new x bolt hells canyon LR in 7mm RM that comes with a 26" 8 twist barrel. you can move your scope and mounts to the new one. add the M Carbo trigger spring and have fun shooting. no wait time....
That is another good option. Direct-swap, too.

Mud let's compare apples to apples. One piece bolts people run because they want that tighter custom feel so add up what I posted above and tell me what your Smith would charge to do that work. This is not about the PTG or others that are trued. I'm comparing full on custom like I posted above that have this.
I'm not talking about threading and chambering either that's another thread.

I have a Rem 700LR in 7mm Rem Mag. It shoots ok, probably better than the person holding the gun. My gunsmith told me to shoot the barrel out and then we can rebarrel with a quality barrel.

I want a longer barrel and a slightly faster twist. Due to injury and illness, I have to have a brake, and I prefer a suppressor mount as well. With my limitations I am not sure that I could justify the cost of a custom barrel job, other than the fact that anything that makes me more accurate in the field I am interested in.

My physical limitations keep me from chasing the elk like I used to. Now I find somewhere comfy and wait for something to wander in range. Shortest shot was an elk this year alongside a reservoir at a laser measured 434 yards. Elk ran at the shot but we found blood all over. The 7mm 168gr Berger passed through both lungs breaking one rib entering and two exiting the animal. Missed the heart, but blew both lungs to hell.

I shoot 168 gr ELDX, Trophy Bonded, Nosler TTSX, or Bergers. Loaded with Retumbo, Rel 22, H4831, H1000, or IMR 7828 the rifle shoots well enough for me which is what counts.

When I had my gunsmith put together the 240 Wby in my profile pic, I was determined to get a Rem 700 action as that is what I have used in the Army and as a civilian the most.

My gunsmith recommended rather than have him spend all the time (and my $) truing a Rem 700 action, buy a Stiller and go from there. That rifle is now a 6mm-06 Ackley on a Stiller long action and one of my fav guns.

Went and picked up the rifle. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. I sure hope this thing shoots. I'll have a full range report as soon as I get the scope on it

If a smith charges $500 to build/chamber/thread/etc... a rifle. And he builds 1 rifle during each standard 8 hour business day (which is completely possible). That's $2,500 a week. Which in-turn (x4.33) becomes $10,825 a month. Which adds up to $129,900 a year. This is all before taxes, but still, that's a pretty good living just for building 1 rifle a day. That's not including if he does more work, or more than 1 rifle, or starts another build, and is averaging 1.5 to 2 rifles a day in just machining labor.

That being said, those guys that are charging you $2,500 in labor to build your rifle, think how rich they are? If they build 1 rifle per day at that labor price, you're looking at about $650,000 a year.

You don't have a CLUE what the real cost are!!!

I have a m700 LR in 30-06 as it will become something else at some point, it's worth the $300 after rebate I paid for it but not much more. I have a couple of xbolt stalker LR rifles and are worth the extra money. I would spend the money on rebarreling an xbolt vs swapping for the rem.

Well we already have a problem. Took the the new rifle all apart and cleaned it. Chambered a round as a funticton check and it went mean. The round ejected mean. Picked up the round and its scarred terribly. Did it 3 times. Got a good light and looked up inside and it appears theres a bur in the chamber

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.