Terrible being a southpaw

I would love to see all left eye dominant folks gang together to buy only left hand actions. It wouldn't take long for more manufacturers to see we mean business. There are benefits to shooting a bolt gun that fits your dominant eye (right eye right bolt, left eye left bolt). I love seeing this topic. It made my day.

Keep smiling!

I too am left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot left handed regardless of the weapon, it's just how I learned to do things. I own and shoot both left and right handed guns.
Regarding being pelted with brass by AR rifles, an adjustment to the buffer weight can change the angle of ejection to correct the problem.
I'm a good shot with a rifle, fair with handguns but suck with shotguns.

I had left eye dominant and used to buy guns for lefties. I 'm right handed, and found that it was awkward to manipulate the left bolt. I'm more efficient lowering the right handed rifle to use my right hand to work the bolt for my needed second shot. Now my right eye is dominant, and I find it extremely difficult to get rid of my lefty rifles. I can live with it.

Fellow lefty here. Actually I'm an ambi shooter but left eye dominant. I'm proficient with handgun and long gun with either arm but favor shooting left handed. Especially when pistol shooting with both eyes open. I started on right hand bolt rifles about 45 years ago. Then got a left hand Savage but the calibers were limited in the 70's/80's. Being an Alaskan I needed larger calibers so I've hunted a lot of animals with a Ruger #1 and then rolled into Thompson Center as well. It was a fun challenge to harvest an animal with a single shot rifle. I'd gotten to the point where I could reload almost as fast as a bolt rifle. I too am disappointed, even at this day and age, that there's not more companies offering left hand rifles. I've finally settled on Savage and Ruger. I have a left handed Remington 870 shotgun, which I haven't seen very often...Thanks.

My youngest son is a lefty has shot deer with a 94 and a RH Axis. Had little luck finding a decent rifle for him here in town. Were fishing at Cold Lake and went on a tackle run to the local Canadian Tire store, lo and behold a LH T3 in 270 win on sale for $500.00 cdn about 380 USD and man is that thing a shooter, definitely worth the wait.

Can someone explain why eye dominance matters?

I'm left handed and left eye dom always owned right handed rifles. After shooting PRS I realized I needed to buy a Left handed rifle or just start shooting like a right handed shooter.

So, I just started shooting like a right handed shooter. After a few range sessions it feels completely natural. I fail to understand why eye dominance ever matters.

I'm left handed and left eye dom always owned right handed rifles. After shooting PRS I realized I needed to buy a Left handed rifle or just start shooting like a right handed shooter.

So, I just started shooting like a right handed shooter. After a few range sessions it feels completely natural. I fail to understand why eye dominance ever matters.
Same here. I am very ambidextrous by choice. Learned with right handed everything. However eye dominance is left. My scores on shotgunning is slightly better left handed, but rifle and handgun, either eye works. I've taken game animals at distance both left and right handed with great success. Even on the range, if a left handed rifle bench is the last one open to shoot, I just plop down and start shooting. Fortunate I am, I guess. It may feel odd to switch for most folks, but a few sessions on anything, you'll get more comfortable. I'm a pretty good pool player too, with either hand. Its hard for my opponent to snooker me along a rail! All I did is played against my kids, right handed, until I got the hang of it for tournaments.

Sight your gun in with your dominant eye....then shoot it from the opposite eye... you will understand very quickly how it matters.

I love my LH Browning BAR in 300 WSM. So easy to shoot compared to a RH rifle. I'll be buying more LH rifles.

Actually no reason to have to suffer with RH crap. There's plenty of stuff for us portsiders if one looks around. Bought my first LH a Rem 700 BDL in .30-06 back in about 1975. I now have 6 Rem 700 custom rifles based on LH actions.

I do find that the Butler Creek flip up cope covers have to be rotated some so that they don't get whacked by the LH bolt.

This one is a 6.5-06, pretty good lopegoat medicine.

5wlmSDy.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.