Terrible Suppressor POI Shift

Roughrice

My 280 Ackley has a 24" Light Varmint Carbon barrel that is extremely accurate and consistent.
Screwed on my suppressor and shot 4 moa low at 100 yards!!! šŸ˜²
Adjusted up 4 moa and shot 2 moa low again... then 2 high... then 1 1/2 right.
Chased impact but after 5 rounds, I quit.
Removed the suppressor and, although it far off of zero from all the adjustment, put 3 under a dime... then redialed zero and was back perfect like it was originally.

BTW... Barrel maker and origin is not mentioned but is from a very reputable barrel company and don't want to bash such a great company as I may have an odd situation.

My assumption is:
1. It's not the suppressor because I have normal light and consistent POI shift on other rifles.
2. My other rifles are CM or stainless varmint contours (20" and 24") which may not flex or whip as much.
3. I think my 24" Light Varmint Carbon Fiber contour may have too much flex to handle the 12 oz. can on the end and causes severe whip.
4. Perhaps my muzzle threads are not concentric to the bore.

I have witnessed others that have (normal) minimal POI shift with suppressors on Carbon Fiber barrels.

Mine just doesn't handle it.

Question is:
1. Would the carbon wrap process be better on some that would create stiffer shaft?
2. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
It has been my observation when your POI is shifting around you could be grazing a baffle in the suppressor. Everything should be repeatable with the suppressor on. I have one that gives me a 24" POI shift at 100 yards but it is the same every time.

It has been my observation when your POI is shifting around you could be grazing a baffle in the suppressor. Everything should be repeatable with the suppressor on. I have one that gives me a 24" POI shift at 100 yards but it is the same every time.
The same suppressor is within 1 MOA POI and repeatable on my other rifles mentioned.
Muzzle threads may have been cut off center but should still dial in and repeat.
I didn't notice baffle strikes... can't really see without disassembling, but, I am really thinking it has something to do with my barrel harmonics with the can hanging on a light varmint (.800) 24" Carbon barrel as most people use 18" to 22" carbon barrels with suppressors.

Oh well... she rocks steady as is!!

Several inches of POI shift is normal for that type barrel, but all may not shift that much. You should expect to have to work up a new load for the suppressor as you have changed the harmonics. you can count clicks from suppressor sight in to without and as your change adjust your zero. I never shoot w/o now that I have a suppressor.