Terrible being a southpaw

Can someone explain why eye dominance matters?

I'm left handed and left eye dom always owned right handed rifles. After shooting PRS I realized I needed to buy a Left handed rifle or just start shooting like a right handed shooter.

So, I just started shooting like a right handed shooter. After a few range sessions it feels completely natural. I fail to understand why eye dominance ever matters.
Locating your target in your sight quicker is the 1st. Follow-up shots without removing your eye out sight from your target is the 2nd. The second will be most awkward without much practice. Many give up and never know what they have been missing.

I'm also lefthanded. I have two righthanded actions in lefthanded, thumbhole stocks. I like that I can keep my left hand on the grip while working the bolt with my right hand. Also like that I can load the shells and can see it as I do it. Another plus is that I can slowly retract the bolt and capture the spent brass, instead of having it go flying away.

Any lefties out there with a Browning BAR? I was shopping one the other day at my LGS in 300WM, was just wondering how they throw brass?

I'm a lefty and have a BAR Type 1 (late 60s, early 70s model) in 30-06, but you may be looking at a newer model. I've shot it LH some, and I'd compare it to shooting a RH autoloader shotgun. It's not bad, but I just make sure I wear shooting glasses. Those are really nice guns IMO.

I'm also lefthanded. I have two righthanded actions in lefthanded, thumbhole stocks. I like that I can keep my left hand on the grip while working the bolt with my right hand. Also like that I can load the shells and can see it as I do it. Another plus is that I can slowly retract the bolt and capture the spent brass, instead of having it go flying away.

You can also do that left handed with a left hand bolt, you can also run the bolt and catch the brass flying out.

I open the bolt with the rifle off of the shoulder so with the trigger guard area in my RH, I simply place my RH fingers over the port to keep the brass from flying away.

Any lefties out there with a Browning BAR? I was shopping one the other day at my LGS in 300WM, was just wondering how they throw brass?
I had one and it was no problem. They make them in lefty but I prefer the right hand. I wish I had one I could get to shoot close to 1/2 moa. Sounds like a tall order but I have two friends that have ones that will, and with factory ammo. I think an accurate-fast handling semi auto .300 WinMag would make an excellent all around good hunting rifle, especially elk.

You can also do that left-handed with a left-hand bolt, you can also run the bolt and catch the brass flying out.
Forgot to mention that I shoot 99% of all my rounds from a bench-- even my AR-type rifles. I'm a freakin' nut for accuracy. Off-hand shots, to me, are a waste of ammunition. I built a nineteen-pound target rifle with a lefthanded action. Wish now I'd ordered the action right-handed but I figgered because I am left-handed, I'd need a left-handed action. The remedy for this would be to build a rifle with a left-bolt/right-port action. So expensive, and I hardly ever get to go out and shoot.

Forgot to mention that I shoot 99% of all my rounds from a bench-- even my AR-type rifles. I'm a freakin' nut for accuracy. Off-hand shots, to me, are a waste of ammunition.
I generally say the same thing about shooting off a bench. I usually do all my load developement and such prone with bipod/rear bag. Then run it over tripod, sticks, pack, etc and from different positions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.